Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Easiest way to remove the plastic speedo gear drive from my 62 Vette 4 Spd

Scotty

Corvette
1962 white
Hi All,
I am a newby from Downunder Australia!
I was wondering if someone can let me know how difficult it is to remove the plastic gear drive from my 62 Corvette with a 4 spd manual?
I have only just purchased the vehicle here in Australia and at this stage have not put a jack under it. Is it an easy removal and install or do I have to drop the box?
I note that the Speedometer is not working and thinking if I remove the cable from the box and check the cable to ensure that turns the speedo then I assume the drive is knackered?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated......Great forum
Scotty

Last edited:
Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

I'm going to move your thread into the C1/C2 forum for greater exposure...

Welcome to the CAC, mate.

There are two gears inside that four speed which work together to drive the speedo cable.

The drive gear is on the transmission output shaft and can only be serviced after dissasembly of the transmission.

The driven gear is in a metal "holder" which is retained in the side of the transmission tail housing with a keyed tab which is, in turn, held by a bolt.

To inspect the driven gear, you remove the bolt and the keyed tab then extract the driven gear holder. Once that's removed you usually can inspect the drive gear, but you may need a mirror to see it from below.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom