Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ebay buyer protection for vette?

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
I noticed that Ebay claims a buyer protection for cars in general.
I've read the rules for it and didn't notice if the person makes false claims.

I was wondering if anyone knew for example, If a person claims a vette has a number matching engine and you get to the car and it is not.
Is that covered or you just out of luck?

(This is assuming that you didn't get a chance to look at the car in person before you purchased it)

It's a good question and one I've not seen discussed here before. I'd think a direct question to ebay would be the right move.

I've heard of at least two instances where someone purchased a car on ebay with no problems, one was a comment from a CAC member and the other someone I know personally here at home. But.... neither of them was a supposedly numbers matching Corvette.

If it were me, I'd ask a nearby CAC member I knew through posts to be reliable to check it for me or I'd go look at it myself.

:wJane Ann

I don't think it is wise to purchase any used car without seeing it and driving it first :eek:hnoes. Spending a few hundred bucks on plane tickets is cheaper than the headaches you'll face if there are hidden problems. See the car in person. Do a thorough inspection or hire a pro to do it if you aren't comfortable. If the owner isn't comfortable with the process, then they may be hiding something.

When I purchased my Corvette, the owner and I swapped cars for a week so that I could have it properly inspected. Granted, most owners won't go this far, but they should agree to a road test and an inspection. I took my vette to two different dealers for inspection, just to be sure.

If a person claims a vette has a number matching engine and you get to the car and it is not.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate again. What's the legally accepted, precise complete and universally used definition of numbers matching?

Let's assume it means 'the original, complete, untouched engine and transmission assembly, including all accessories installed on the assembly line by GM'. Why would a person buy a car sight unseen if such critical details were not personally verified by an expert? How would the buyer know if the seller is qualified to make that statement, and it's not a case of the blind leading the blind? To make your case with eBay, you would have an expert inspect it after purchase. Why not do it before.

I wouldn't think that relying on a guarantee from eBay would get you very far except, except maybe getting laughed at. :thumb

Edit- here a quote from eBay, I think this says it all:

Please understand that the VPP program is not an insurance policy, a solution for buyer's remorse, or a substitute for buyer diligence (i.e. pre-purchase research and inspection). Therefore, we encourage you to perform appropriate research and exercise proper care and judgment in the purchase of any vehicle.

To make your case with eBay, you would have an expert inspect it after purchase. Why not do it before.
Your entire post was excellent and on point. Especially what I've quoted. And what you put in bold text. Thanks for hunting down the 'fine print'.

...What's the legally accepted, precise complete and universally used definition of numbers matching...

Hmmm...legally accepted, precise, complete, universally used....

You sure don't ask for much.

;LOL

I agree with Mikey and the others. I would not consider purchasing a Corvette sight unseen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom