Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ebay Hosing

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
I just got hosed for the first time on an Ebay Auction. As most of you are aware I am restoring a 1963 SWC. I have tried to restore as many original parts as possible. I needed a fuel sending unit and wanted an original unit. I have been researching restoring original sending units and wanted one with all its parts in tact. I purchased at auction a unit that was from a California 65 car. The part was listed as Good A-1 condition and working when removed from the 1965 Corvette. When received the flat conductor that has the protective rubber covering was broken and the rubber covering was missing and not in the box. I have asked for a refund with no luck.

I hate it when I do not get kissed before I get F%$^&^!

Sorry for the vent! but it has been a bad Vette day!

Ray

That Sucks

Well other than the obvious, a VERY bad feedback for the seller, have you inquired with eBay as to what if any options you have? So far, (knocking on wood as I type this) luckily, I've never gotten beat with over 100 transactions. Sorry about your disappointment Ray.

Lou

Sorry about your bad experience on Ebay Ray. I have only had one deal go bad where I didn't get paid for an item I shipped. A few other times I have been able to work out misunderstandings. I have found most people to be very reasonable but occasionally there is the bad egg.

You know Ray

I had a bad deal on eBay my self and I did not give the guy bad feed back as he would give me bad feed back in return. I purchase a hood for the 62 and it looked ok in the photos ,His description said minor cracks but usable with slight body work, and his pictures supported his description, I check his feed back and he had thousands with a couple of negatives and the negatives said item not as described. His feed back to the negative was item description accurate but person may not be able to read (or something like that)

Anyways I was desperate for a hood and took a chance, When the hood came it was missing the boss to hold the hood hinge and I reported back to the guy item was not as described. We went back and fourth on phone calls and the fellow had no interest in doing what was fair or honorable he just said that's the way it is. I made a choice just to lick my wounds and not give any bad feed back just to keep him from giving me bad feed back and I have regretted every since.

Give him the feed back he deserves regardless of his retaliation

if you paid with PayPal, you usually have up to $1,000 of buyrs protection....so if osmething isn't right and you are not satisfied, you can get your money back via PayPal......if you paid by check you are on the short end of things.....leave the feedback....

By the way, I always check the feedback....if someone has 200 feedback replies and 0 of them are negative, there is a good chance you will be happy...if there are 5 or 7 that are negative, there is the possibility that you could get stung....I usually try to read find the negative responses and read what is said....if the seller says that the customer didn't read the description or offers some other type of non-satisfying reply, then you can bet that if you have a problem that you might get the same type of reply.....

Me too

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Ray, but as they say, it goes with the job. I have almost 150 e-bag transactions over the years, and although most of the time, the sellers are respectable, there is always a bad egg somewhere.

What I have found to be most frustrating, is the quality, or should I say " lack of " knowledge of the sellers, when it comes to Corvette parts. I can remember 3 or 4 years ago, those who advertised Corvette parts for sale were genuine hobbiests, dealers, or Corvette owners and builders. Lately, just about everyone who can spell the word Corvette ( and some who can't ) have figured out that by tying on the word " Corvette " to what ever shÎt they are trying to sell, will not only guarantee the sale, but also a higher price. For the worse case of a purchase gone very wrong, listen ( please don't laugh ) to the following.

A 65 shifter was purchased for 200$, a MO was sent out immediately, but after one month, nothing was received. After a lot of frustration, dozens of phone call's, and an " inbox " crammed full of messages, here was the final outcome.

Well he actually didn't own the shifter , but rather was selling it for a friend. His present workload ( the seller ) did not give him enough time to go to the shippers, so he had his wife take the package to the shipping company. Sadly, she did not think of keeping the receipt, nor the proof of insurance that previously had been agreed upon.

Had the shifter been his, he would have gradely agreed to a refund, but in as much as it belonged to someone else, he didn't feel obliged to refund the money. To make matters worse, any attempt to have the real owner refund the money is now out of the question because guess what, the owner of the shifter has just died.

The last attempt to get a resolution, was to try and get in touch with the wife of the owner, whose husbands death had been responsible for all this mix-up. Well, for those of you who have been paying attention, should already have guessed, can you believe that she was so disturbed by the un-timely death of her husband, that she has now disappeared and has not been seen, or heard of since.

The above is a true story, and I would welcome any new thread describing e-bag deals that have also have gone wrong. :ugh

Stepinwolf

EVERY time I think about diving in to EBag, I see one of these posts.

No frickin' way.:bash

I have bought and sold many times on E-Bay with no problems. My feedback is over 150 with 100% positive.
When buying: Don't purchase from someone who has negative feedback, doesn't list the shipping costs or gives a very vague description and won't answer your questions.
When selling: Describe the item accurately, list shipping costs, send item within 24 hrs. of being paid and offer a refund if not satisfied.

Hi!

Thanks to all for letting me vent and sharing your Ebay stories. I have had over 161 positive buys and sales and I guess it was just my turn for a bad experience. Yesterday was a bad Vette day. I had everything ready to fire the 63 for the first time. I started to fill the coolant system when I noticed a coolant leak at the right rear of the intake manifold and the engine wasn't even running. I checked it this evening using a pressure tester for the coolant systems and the leak was between the manifold and the gasket. I called Jerry McNeish after I determined the problem was with the intake and he stated that the turn around time would be a week to a week and a half. So bad news turned into good news. I should still have the 63 ready for our first major cruise night and I will have a newly skinned manifold.

As far as the Ebay sending unit: I emailed Ebay resolution department and filed a complaint and then informed the seller of what I had done. I received an email today stating" If I would remove the complaint that he would refund my money less a $15.00 re-stocking fee and the return of the unit." Now if my math is correct, $15.00 for the freight $10.00 for the return freight and $15.00 re-stocking for a total of $40.00 or a return of $25.00 for my $50.00 + $15.00 (shipping and handling) dollar purchase or a loss of $40.00. I think I will let the complaint run!

Again! Thanks for being a great sounding board!

Ray

2X4's 60 said:
I have bought and sold many times on E-Bay with no problems. My feedback is over 150 with 100% positive.
When buying: Don't purchase from someone who has negative feedback, doesn't list the shipping costs or gives a very vague description and won't answer your questions.
When selling: Describe the item accurately, list shipping costs, send item within 24 hrs. of being paid and offer a refund if not satisfied.

That's exactly what I do.

2X4's 60 said:
When buying: Don't purchase from someone who has negative feedback, doesn't list the shipping costs
I just got stung for shipping costs.....it wasn't a lot of money...bought something that was $10....no bigger than a shoe box and weighed less than 1/2 pound....$15 shipping.....I didn't do my due diligence...I always read their feedback...and didn't this time...well guess what...had I read it, I would have found that this person had stung a few others for the same thing....also when there is a problem you can tell how they respond whether you want to do biz with them or not....again, had I read the feedback I would not have done biz with this person...violated my own rule....probably because it was only $10.....sigh....live and learn....by the way, my rating on Ebay is 591, with 100% satisfaction....about 2/3 selling....1/3 buying....

live and learn!!!

I haven't purchased anything on ebay in three years. Yesterday I placed a bid on an item (thank you for the pointer, Charles), and then I read this! It never fails to happen! Last time I placed a bid there was a big rip-off that happened on an ebay deal that made the papers - can't remember what it was, though!
I read the sellers feedback and it was 98% positive. Everything recent was positive, so hopefully I'll be all set if I'm the winning bidder. -John

Some Good News

As posted earlier, I am having a problem with an Ebay auction. The problem has been addressed to Ebay Resolution Center and I will keep all informed to the results. This may help others that have problems with a dead beat seller.

The good news! I posted asking for information on restoring sending units on the NCRS web site. I was looking for wire and rubber/plastic cover that covers the flat conductor and could anyone recommend a source. I also asked what would be the best aftermarket sending unit to purchase. A gentleman from NJ sends me an email stating that he has a unit that he removed from his 63 project, not sure if it worked, because he was having fuel gauge problems. If I wanted the fuel unit I could have it for the cost of shipping ($15.15. The unit arrived yesterday and I checked it out with an OHM meter, worked Great! The unit is clean, free of rust and every thing checked out great. I now have a very nice original 63 sending unit. Another restoration problem solved.

It is funny how things work out!

Ray

"he would refund my money less a $15.00 re-stocking fee and the return of the unit."

Re-stocking fee = blatant bull $h!t ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom