Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ECM tuning on 81

redlinin616

Corvette
1981 custom blue/white 290 hp GM crate
First off I am thankful to have found this site and all of the great info on here. I have done multiple searches and found a few helpful answers, but I still have a couple questions:

I have a 1981 that just sat for 2 years. Recently I had a GM crate 290hp 350 put in to replace the stock 190hp 350 with 150K on it, that died which is why it sat.

I finished installing everything but the car runs real sluggish. I began inquiring about rebuilding the QJET since it sat for so long and decided on a company here in SoCal, he recommended a stage 2 upgrade for $275.

My main goal here is to have this car pass smog here in Cali when I get her done. The tuner said that with the new crate motor the ECM will not run right due to the cam and it will dump more fuel causing it to run really rich. He also said there was no way around it and nothing that could be done. He did say that it "MAY" be possible if I get a "chip" for the ECM, tune the carb and have the thermostat at 220 degrees.

Im no expert in this area but I would think that the crate 350, connected with ALL factory emissions would be fine. Im thinking I will see how the car reacts to the carb tune and go from there. Anybody have any ideas about the ECM TUNING, or thoughts in general? Thanks in advance :thumb

the ECM cannot be tuned.

If I may digress slightly,
I've heard I can ditch the ECM just by replacing the distributor with an earlier model. Apparently not true if the fuel level is being adjusted in the carb???;help

Also a good question, I saw the same thing. And what is the "chip" Ive heard people put in the ECM and is it something like a pre-set tune?

If I may digress slightly,
I've heard I can ditch the ECM just by replacing the distributor with an earlier model. Apparently not true if the fuel level is being adjusted in the carb???;help

I've done the conversion and you must replace the dist and carb if you remove the ecm. I really feel for the calif. guys with such tight smog laws

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom