Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ECT sensor

BlueMonster94

Corvette
1994 Admiral Blue Coupe
:ugh Over the weekend the thermostat in my 1994 Vette went south taking with it the ECT sensor. During the event, the upper radiator hose was blown off of its radiator connection causing coolant to gush out all over where it shouldn't be. In the course of this mess, the Check Guages light came on and the analog water temp gage ceased to function; the Low Coolant light also illuminated. The digital water temp gage continued to work. My query is about the water temp gages.

Do the digital and analog water temp gages receive the same inputs from the ECT sensor? Why would the analog gage fail while the digital gage continue to function?:confused

Currently the only cooling system malfunction my car has is a failed analog water temp gage. Otherwise, this system has all new hoses and clamps (not the GM crap), new water pump, new thermostat and new radiator.:w

The analog gage receives a resistance value from the Engine Coolant Temperature gage Sensor. The sensor is mounted between the 6 and 8 spark plug. (The book says right hand rear of motor above starter). It has a single Dark Green wire going to it.

If the Gage always reads Cold, disconnect the connector, turn the ignition to run and ground the Dark Green wire.
The Gage should read Hot. If it does the sensor is bad.

If the Gage aways reads Hot, disconnect the connector, turn the ignition to run. The Gage should read Cold. If it does the sensor is bad.

The sensor resistance should vary from 1400 ohms to 55 ohms depending on the engine temp.

ecss said:
The analog gage receives a resistance value from the Engine Coolant Temperature gage Sensor. The sensor is mounted between the 6 and 8 spark plug. (The book says right hand rear of motor above starter). It has a single Dark Green wire going to it.

If the Gage always reads Cold, disconnect the connector, turn the ignition to run and ground the Dark Green wire.
The Gage should read Hot. If it does the sensor is bad.

If the Gage aways reads Hot, disconnect the connector, turn the ignition to run. The Gage should read Cold. If it does the sensor is bad.

The sensor resistance should vary from 1400 ohms to 55 ohms depending on the engine temp.

:upthumbs Thanks for the info. I'll give that procedure a try as soon as I can.
BTW. The gage was reading a normal temp when the thermostat failed, then it simply read nothing (cold). I'm using the digital temp gage most of the time since this happened. Sounds like an easy fix. Finally an easy fix!!:crazy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom