Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Edelbrock 3701 intake manifold???

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Is there any gains to be had from changing out the stock intake to the Edelbrock 3701 intake?
I can get a new one for $100...but have no idea if I would really feel any difference, other than a lighter wallet.

Some of the really good mechanics here said the stock 81 intake is the same as a edle performer. I swaped mine out cause PO painted stock intake, No noticable performance gain after the switch

I made the following mods and did notice a big improvement in performance an the way the engine ran in general...

• Edlebrock Performer Manifold
  • Edlebrock Performer Carb
  • Stock Air Cleaner
  • Hooker Headers
  • MSD Ignition System with spark box
  • x-pipe design custom exhaust (no cat)

I completely disconnected the computer command system. The car runs and sounds like a Corvette is supposed to - and I even used the stock mufflers! Plus it looks 1005 better under the hood...

By the way, nice picture. Who is that?

Is there any gains to be had from changing out the stock intake to the Edelbrock 3701 intake?
I can get a new one for $100...but have no idea if I would really feel any difference, other than a lighter wallet.
No noticeable gains with just that mod.

I did not think that just the intake alone would make any difference, however I do have a modified engine: higher compression, larger valves, headers, 268H cam, 1.6 roller tip rockers. And it was just a thought as the price for the intake was pretty good. However I did forget that I had to mill the stock intake to get a good seal due to zero decking the block and shaving the heads down a bit as well. So this would not be a simple drop-in...would also have to be milled and that would add to the price.

Think I will pass and just keep the stock intake.

Oh and the avatar...who is it?.....I have no idea....just like the shot.

Problem you have with the intake is that its all about air flow. The more air that flows the better but here's the problem. The vette is very low and a very very low hood line. Air will flow best in a straight line but if the carb is so low almost between the cilinderheads there needs to be some big bends in the intake to direct the air from the carb to the intake. If you want a better intake I think you have one option and that is to get a taller intake. That means your airfilter will not fit anymore so you're back to square one. Just my thought :)

Groeten Peter

Problem you have with the intake is that its all about air flow. The more air that flows the better but here's the problem. The vette is very low and a very very low hood line. Air will flow best in a straight line but if the carb is so low almost between the cilinderheads there needs to be some big bends in the intake to direct the air from the carb to the intake. If you want a better intake I think you have one option and that is to get a taller intake. That means your airfilter will not fit anymore so you're back to square one. Just my thought :)

Groeten Peter
Correct! Anything bigger then a Edlebrock Performer intake equals Hood Clearance issues.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom