Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EGR faillure

keremarsan

Corvette
1988 Coupe Z52
Hi My name is Kerem from Istanbul ( Turkey )

one week ago , my dream come true and I own a 1988 corvette and I have some trouble.

My EGR valve don't work properly according to snap on ECM codes. And My corvette is very slow :(

There is no "blue" flame with my engine . My question is:

if EGR failllure can cause serious power problem ? and the engine service soon indicator is on.

( I think also to change spark plugs, cable, gas filter etc ) .

Hi My name is Kerem from Istanbul ( Turkey )

one week ago , my dream come true and I own a 1988 corvette and I have some trouble.

Hello Kerem,

I from Ankara and I own a 95 LT1 Corvette. Happy to see another Turkish person here.

Change the EGR if you are sure it is not working properly. Do not mess around with getting it repaired, etc. But make sure first that the car is diagnosed properly.

Cheers,

Selim

Thanks !

Selim, I want to communicate with you by phone, I will maybe need some spare parts etc. And I am happy to see you here.

My cell :0535 415 44 43
home: 212 661 61 45

There are two sources of spare parts to the best of my knowledge. You can get spares from RPM Otomotiv (http://www.rpmoto.com) which is located in Istanbul. Or you can get them over the internet from www.ecklers.com

I have shopped from Ecklers and they are pretty good. However be careful if they are providing the OEM part or an aftermarket replica.

And before you spend your money make sure you diagnose the problem very well. The best way is the CAC forum :)

Cheers,

Selim

thank you very much,

after the diagnose, the error code is 32, with means EGR faillure but I have some informations that it can also be related to ECM faillure :( .

I have a detailled information to make a manual diagnose , this saturday on service, I will see the result, the car has original 62.000 miles :) which is good to not have a serious problem I think ( I hope)

thanks a lot !
kerem

Well, I do not know how you are getting your Vette diagnosed. But there is a shop here in Ankara which has a special purpose diagnostic tool. They connect this device to the diagnostic port of the car (under the steering wheel around the right knee area). The tool shows everything about the engine. It can even run tests on the engine... It looks like a special purpose PC.

I hope it is not the ECM; this sounds like a worse problem to have. I would attack at the EGR before playing with the ECM. I read from my documents as follows: "The most common cause of this code is a bad or intermittent EGR switch which is located on the EGR pipe between the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold. Replace this switch first when you get this code. Next, check electrical connections at EGR valve solenoid and then the ECM. Check all vacuum lines for leaks especially around the EGR valve. Possible ECM failure."

And last but not the least, milage of the car would not be as important as how well it was maintained in the past by previous owners. My Vette has 35K miles on it; I had to get the fuel pump, O2 sensors, antenna, and battery replaced after buying it and a few minor fixes of course. It runs beautifully :)

Also take a look into http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/index.htm

Cheers,

Selim

Hi Selim,

the diagnose was made by the same way as you describe: The service attached a Snap On computer to the car and after the diagnose the only error code was error 32.

The engine don't work smooth, maybe some electrical problem because it wasn't used for longtime. ( which is bad, ) and also the fuel consumption is very much ( average 20-30 liter / 100 km ) and at 1200 RPM, approx 70 km/h stable , never less then 15 lt/100, ( my car is automatic :( )
the battery is good, Ithink to change spark plugs and cables also after cheking EGR.

Are you ok to cancel catalysators ? can I get some extra horspower ?

thanks

In this case I recommend to do first things first and then the mods. Get the engine working properly and only then the cats.

My cats were emptied by the previous ovner. I do not how much HP this added to the car if any... 5Hp maybe??? Without the cats I pass the emissions test quite easily though.

And by the way where are you getting your car maintained in Istanbul?

Cheers,

Selim

Hi Selim,

How are You,

I need help, after the service, the car was very good for 30 min. But after that, the engine service indicator is on and there is problem with timeming or other. If I speak with your service, maybe they can help me, or they can orient me somewhere here in Istanbul . İt is sure, there is a electronic problem in the car. Maybe a sensor ( an important one) which affecte the ECM for firing or gaz alimentation. When it works, it is incredible, but suddenly the errors turn the car inusuable. :((

Thanks ,

take care

kerem

I say Gaz but sure, there is no LPG on the car :) I want to say benzin but my english is really poor, I understand to not talk in Turkish here :)

bye !

I am sure our Vette friends will allow a few posts between us in our own language. After all Vette is the only language here :) So, lets do this in Turkish...

Sorunu biraz daha anlatırsanız sanırım yardımcı olabilirim.

Şöyle diyelim... Araba soğukken çalıştırdınız ve sorun yok. Sonra yola çıktınız ve 15 - 20 dakika kadar problem olmadan gittiniz. Motor bu arada normal çalışma haharetine geldi. Diyelim ki bir trafik ışığında durdunuz veya yavaşladınız. Trafik ışığından hareket etmek isterken veya hızlanmaya çalışırken motor teklemeye mi başladı??? Bu arada SES ikazını da göreceksiniz zaten. Sorun buysa çözümünü biliyorum.

Eğer sorunuz bu ise lütfen birkaç kere deneyin. Motor soğukken çalıştırın, 15 - 20 dakika sürün ve hatayı görün. Sonra yine motorun soğumasına müsade edin ve denemeyi yeniden yapın. Biraz sinir bozucu olacak ama emin olalım.

Sevgiler,

Selim

Aslında tanımladığınız probleme çok benziyor, ancak tam olarak ne zaman yapacağı belli olmuyor, araba önce teklemeye başlıyor sanki ateşleme kötü gibi 5-10 saniye sonra da SES lambası yanıyor. Motoru soğumaya bırakmayı denedim , arıza kodu gitsin diye akü başını on saniye kadar sökük bıraktım ama bu hatayı soğuduğunda yapabiliyor veya yapmıyor. Ama her teklediğinde kesinlikle en fazla 10 saniyede SES yanıyor.

Şimdi akşam, erişebildiğim sensörlerin soketlerini söküp takarak varsa yatmadan kaynaklanan oksitleri temizlemeye çalıştım , bakalım yarın ne olacak.

Yardımlarına çok teşekkürler, olduğunu tahmin ettiğin sorunu çok merak ettim ? Nedir sence?

Bu arada sorun yokken arabanın performensi çok iyi,

mesajını heyecanla bekliyorum

sevgiler
kerem

kesi

Birşey daha ekleyim:

Problem aniden başlıyor ve araba rölantide çok düzgün çalışırken bir anda önce rölanti bozuluyor. Sanki sihirli bir değnek değer gibi aniden oluyor.Bu arada beni fan 110 Santigratta açılıyor, 104 gibi kapanıyor, fahreneit olarak 230 dereceye kadar çıkıyor, sizce biraz sıcak değil mi , fan müşürünü değiştirip daha düşük dereceli taktırmak mantıklı olur mu?

Sevgiler

kerem

Vette folks, please allow us a few more Turkish posts here :) We have to get this Vette working properly :)

Benim tahminim "Oksijen Sensörlerinizin" arızalı olduğu. Bunlar sizin arabanızda kaç tanedir bilmiyorum. Bende 3 adet vardı ve arızayı gidermek için hepsini değiştirdim. Bir daha da ne tekleme kaldı ne SES arıza uyarısı :) Oksijen sensörlerinin sanırım her 25 - 30,000 milde değişmesi gerekiyor.

Olay şu... Adım adım anlatmaya çalışayım:

1. Arabayı motor soğukken çalıştırdığınız zaman O2 sensörleniniz hemen devreye girmez (O2 sensörleri egzos gazının ısısı ile belirli bir hararete gelince çalışmaya başlar). Motor normal ısısına erişinceye ve O2 sensörleri ısınıncaya kadar motor "open loop" çalışır. Yani gaza ne kadar basarsanız o kadar hava ve yakıt motora aynen gider.

2. Oksijen sensörleri çalışma ısısına erişince motor "closed loop" çalışmaya başlar. Yani siz ayağınızla gaza basarsınız ama olay burada bitmez. Artık devrede bu sensörler de vardır. O2 sensörleri egzos gazının içindeki oksijen miktarını ölçer (ismi üstünde "oksijen sensörü" zaten). Egzos gazındaki oksijen miktarına göre sensörler ECM'e (engine control module) daha fazla yakıt veya daha çok yakıt göndermesi için sinyal gönderir. ECM de aldığı bu sinyale göre enjektörlerin açık / kapalı periodlarını ayarlayarak motora daha az veya daha fazla yakıt gönderir.

3. Doğal olarak motor soğukken O2 sensörlerinden bağımsızdır ve sorunsuz çalışacaktır. Ama O2 sensörleri arızalı ise (ki bu gayet normaldir, değiştirilmeleri gerekiyor periyodik olarak) çalışma ısısına eriştiklerinde egzos gazındaki oksijen miktarını yanlış ölçerek gereğinden fazla veya az yakıt gönderilmesine neden olurlar ve motorunuz ambale olur...

Beni konu hakkında uzman sanmayın lütfen. Ankara'daki ustanın aklı basmayınca oturup kendim araştırdım. Kendin pişir kendin ye derken öğrendim ben de :)

Sevgiler,

Selim

Birşey daha ekleyim:

Problem aniden başlıyor ve araba rölantide çok düzgün çalışırken bir anda önce rölanti bozuluyor. Sanki sihirli bir değnek değer gibi aniden oluyor.Bu arada beni fan 110 Santigratta açılıyor, 104 gibi kapanıyor, fahreneit olarak 230 dereceye kadar çıkıyor, sizce biraz sıcak değil mi , fan müşürünü değiştirip daha düşük dereceli taktırmak mantıklı olur mu?

Sevgiler

kerem

Kardeşim Kerem... Fan kaçta açar kaçta kapar hiç işim olmaz bunlarla benim. Motorun orijinalliği ile oynama derim. Önce arabanın muntazam çalışmasını temin edelim. Sonra sağına soluna bak. Ama kanaatim odur ki arabanın orasını burasını mıncıklamak fazla bir işe yaramaz. Araban önce iyi çalışır duruma gelsin. Sonra sen eğer hala modife edecem, daha fazla beygir gücü istiyorum filan dersen komple bir proje geliştir derim. Yoksa katalitiklerin içini boşaltmak, fan müşürini değiştirmek birşey kazandırmaz. Kurcalama aleti durduk yerde :mad

Bana email adresini verirsen okuduğum literatürden bu konuda bulabildiklerimi sana yollarım. Göreceksin ki 5 - 10 beygir için arabaylı mıncıklamaya deymez.

Selim

Öncelikle Saol Selim tüm yardımların için.

Seninle kesinlikle aynı fikirdeyim , zaten artı beygir öyle çok da önemli değil. Corvette bende 5 senelik bir tutkuydu, orjinalliğinin bozulmasını istemiyorum . Ne kasa, ne motor, senimnle aynı fikirdeyim ! Bu arada katalysatorler zaten bitmiş, egzosdan elyaf atıyordu, boşaltıldı. Maaelsef motor sesi biraz arttı :(

e-mail adresim: keremarsan@gmail.com

Abi , tanıştığımıza çok sevindim. Yarın ilk işim arıza lambası yanmışken tekrar diyagnostiğe bağlamak ve bana çok mantıklı geldi, O2 sensörlerini değiştiricem.

Görüşmek dileğiyle, kendine iyi bak.

kerem

Check your email Kerem. I sent some documents to you.

Cheers,

Selim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom