Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EGR help needed

Tom73

Corvette
73 LS4 Coupe - 04 CE Conv
I have been getting an intermedent "Service Engine Soon" light, so pulled the codes and had a history 32 code, EGR System Error.

I looked at the testing procedure in the manual and got totaly lost, may as well have been in Greek. Can anyone provide an easy way to test the EGR system? If the EGR should need to be replaced, what is involved since it is under the intake plenum?

Got to get this thing running right since it is going to be making a 20 hour trip next week from Austin TX to the Chicago area for the Bloomington show.

tom...

Tom,
I would test the solonoid switch first. It's an easy diagnostic(I assume you have the GM service manual) and it's usually the culprit. They sell a quick connect replacement.
Keep us posted.
Carlo

Carlo,
Where in the world is that selonoid? Is it also under the plenum? How do you access it?

tom...

There is a switch attached to the EGR. You should see a pair of wires coming off it(may be a single wire). It's a pain to get to. MAD or CC sell a replacement. If you have the service manual there is a test procedure for proper operation and a detail schematic. If you need the schematic shoot me an e-mail and I'll get it to you.
:w

9 times out of 10 this is the problem and it's an inexpensive fix. I know, I had the same problem. :(

I have the service manual and it does reference how to test the selonoid and so on but it appears that everything is located under the plenum. Cannot figure how to get to anything without removing the plenum. I cannot see anyway to get to it between the intake runners.

tom...

egr solonoid should be bolted to the thermostat housing at the front of the motor

vrgsvette said:
egr solonoid should be bolted to the thermostat housing at the front of the motor

So that is what that thing is :D Wonder if I may have just knocked something loose as just replace the water pump and t-stat. Hummmmm.....

tom...

Sorry Tom, should had advised you that I'm referencing an 85 but it looks like you may have that booger nailed. All's well that ends well:cool

Hope that's the problem cause code 32 is a PITA:r

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom