Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electric Vette?

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
Would anyone buy an electric Vette?

Say it is fuel cell equipped and hydrogen fed with enough amps to power two electric motors - 250 HP in the rear and 150 HP in the front - fully drive-by-wire All-Wheel-Drive with all the other goodies (ABS, Traction Control, Active Handling, MagRide, etc.) - enough fuel to go 300 miles between refueling - and still carry enough luggage for a week's road trip and your helmet(s)?

It could even look like a "mid-engine" car (I'm thinking Corvette GTP from the '80s or the new ALMS Corvette EVO).

Would anyone buy something like that?

I used to have one, but on somewhat smaller scale. It was a slot car that I raced on our office floor while in graduate school. Lots of fun. Of course it was red, and was a midyear coupe.
Barrett

If it handled, braked and accelerated like a c6 I'd buy one ....as long as it cost the same 46 grand.

If it handled, braked and accelerated like a c6 I'd buy one ....as long as it cost the same 46 grand.

That's me too.

I used to have one, but on somewhat smaller scale. It was a slot car that I raced on our office floor while in graduate school. Lots of fun. Of course it was red, and was a midyear coupe.
Barrett

I have a couple of electric Vettes also but 1/10 scale and only one motor. They're pretty cool but....
Now, if we had a full size one for a reasonable price, that would be something.

Say it is fuel cell equipped and hydrogen fed with enough amps to power two electric motors - 250 HP in the rear and 150 HP in the front - fully drive-by-wire All-Wheel-Drive with all the other goodies (ABS, Traction Control, Active Handling, MagRide, etc.) - enough fuel to go 300 miles between refueling - and still carry enough luggage for a week's road trip and your helmet(s)?

It could even look like a "mid-engine" car (I'm thinking Corvette GTP from the '80s or the new ALMS Corvette EVO).

I know a little something about batteries have worked for a battery company and they have a long way to go to meet the performance expectations of Corvette owners.

While there are some advantages to electric motors, batteries are expensive, have relatively short lives, and are heavy for the amount of energy they store. Another thing is in a small Corvette, where would you put a 800-1,000 lbs battery and motor?

It is no secret that weight has a lot to do with fuel economy. I would prefer leaving electric vehicles to economy commuter vehicles and look at other ways to improve the Corvette performance such as smaller, lighter, smaller turbo engine or diesel powered.

Has anyone looked into Flywheel technology? I pass it off initially but upon hearing that Formula 1 race cars will start using Flywheels next year, I did some research. In the F1 cars, they plan to add a 2 kg flywheel that spins at 60,000 rpm in a vacuum. Energy is stored on braking into a corner then released upon exiting thru a simple set of clutches and gears. No batteries to wear out, complex electronics, or extra weight of electric motors. The article I saw claimed a 35% increase in fuel economy for F1 cars. In stop-and-go traffic, this could greatly increase fuel economy in a very simple and long service life package.

Has anyone looked into Flywheel technology? I pass it off initially but upon hearing that Formula 1 race cars will start using Flywheels next year, I did some research. In the F1 cars, they plan to add a 2 kg flywheel that spins at 60,000 rpm in a vacuum. Energy is stored on braking into a corner then released upon exiting thru a simple set of clutches and gears. No batteries to wear out, complex electronics, or extra weight of electric motors. The article I saw claimed a 35% increase in fuel economy for F1 cars. In stop-and-go traffic, this could greatly increase fuel economy in a very simple and long service life package.

I've noticed that also and it could show promise for increasing the fuel efficiency of the Vette without any other major compromises.

With the cost of gasoline rising (i remember it being 50-60c/liter about 5 or 6 years ago) we might not have much of a choice. If Exxon and friends wouldnt mind reducing their 15-20billion profit margins to help us out, that would be great.

In any event everyone has a DD and i think we'll see more electric ones around in not too long. The car companies wont let themselves go out of business by not introducing electric vehicles and sticking with combustion. Eventually the technology will find its way to the faster cars.

If you can afford the Vette you can afford the gas, although i dont know how long ill be able to say that comfortably :ugh

With the cost of gasoline rising (i remember it being 50-60c/liter about 5 or 6 years ago) we might not have much of a choice. If Exxon and friends wouldnt mind reducing their 15-20billion profit margins to help us out, that would be great.

In any event everyone has a DD and i think we'll see more electric ones around in not too long. The car companies wont let themselves go out of business by not introducing electric vehicles and sticking with combustion. Eventually the technology will find its way to the faster cars.

If you can afford the Vette you can afford the gas, although i dont know how long ill be able to say that comfortably :ugh

It is a fact that the oil companies are doing lots of R&D into alternative energy because they know the oil supplies are running out and there is more and more demand for energy. I know they must be looking at producing the compounds necessary for the next generation rechargeable batteries.

If Exxon and friends wouldnt mind reducing their 15-20billion profit

Last year Exxon profitted to the tune of $45 million.......$45,000,000.00 and all the oil representatives who responded to questions before Congress supported their huge profits. I remember their answers before they appeared before Congress and they were all crying poor-mouth. I recently retired, set income, 2% increase every year, and I will never see that kind of money let alone 1% of it as profit. Ok, I'm done crying, now I'm :mad.

Last year Exxon profitted to the tune of $45 million.......$45,000,000.00 and all the oil representatives who responded to questions before Congress supported their huge profits. I remember their answers before they appeared before Congress and they were all crying poor-mouth. I recently retired, set income, 2% increase every year, and I will never see that kind of money let alone 1% of it as profit. Ok, I'm done crying, now I'm :mad.

What does the public want them to say? "We made WAY TOO MUCH" profit and want to give it back". How much did they reinvest in increasing production and finding new oil fields? What was their % Net Income to Sales? RONA?

The price of oil is market driven. Supply and Demand. If this country was serious about reducing oil consumption, why has it not asked its citizens to voluntarily cut back? People here in Texas all drive huge pick up trucks or SUV's. The something like 5 of the top 10 vehicles sold in the US are either pick up trucks or SUV. Gee, do you think THAT has any impact on the price of oil?? Reducing the miles driven each month, driving slower, timing trips to avoid rush hour, good driving habits to improve mileage, etc.

What does the public want them to say? "We made WAY TOO MUCH" profit and want to give it back". How much did they reinvest in increasing production and finding new oil fields? What was their % Net Income to Sales? RONA?

The price of oil is market driven. Supply and Demand. If this country was serious about reducing oil consumption, why has it not asked its citizens to voluntarily cut back? People here in Texas all drive huge pick up trucks or SUV's. The something like 5 of the top 10 vehicles sold in the US are either pick up trucks or SUV. Gee, do you think THAT has any impact on the price of oil?? Reducing the miles driven each month, driving slower, timing trips to avoid rush hour, good driving habits to improve mileage, etc.

Whoa! I was only venting. I know that all oil companies have an R&D division and it takes $$ to make $$.

I see this original thread was awhile back but has relvce. now so it seems to me. I think I would buy one. If Vette is going to evolve, then it has to go somewhere (alternate means of power/powerplant). I think electric is probably the way to go. If new technologies are developed for electric power generation....I'm no expert, but Euro's just tested one (elect) 200 mph.....;shrug

:w Travel down "route 66" in your electric Vette ($250,000).
Re-charge at the Holiday Inn if you're lucky!:W

But at 250mph it should only take a few minutes.:boogie

In 2008, Top Gear tested a car called the Tesla, designed to look like, and hold its own against, a Lotus Elise. And while the review started off well, it didn't end that way...

CLICK. Watch the whole 10 minutes.

In 2008, Top Gear tested a car called the Tesla, designed to look like, and hold its own against, a Lotus Elise. And while the review started off well, it didn't end that way...

CLICK. Watch the whole 10 minutes.

I just watched the video. Yep, there are allot of bugs that have to be worked out. Technologies tweaked. Stations to 'recharge'. Along with technologies tweaked, tweaking the rate of recharge as well.

A few weeks ago I was reading online somewhere that the Euro's just tested a sports car that was >200 mph and was total electric....not only was it fast it was quick as well.....it was a euro nameplate too. Wish I could remember which one it was.....anyway, for Vette to continue into distant future, someday we will see a powerplant which is not as we know it today (dino(saurers) left-overs-fossil fuel!!!)

Sounds great!!
BUT I dont think I will live that long, and if I do I doubt it will be available to the volks!
The first real test will be the VOLT!! stay tuned.

Wow, this picked up again.

The 'electric' Vette I'm talking about does not require plug-in charging. It uses fuel cells fueled with hydrogen to create electricity for the motors. This would require hydrogen refueling stations like gas pumps not electric sockets. Also, only a minimal number of batteries would be required to maintain the car when the fuel cell is shut down.

There are lots of problems with plug-in electric vehicles: range, recharge time, batteries, weight, power plants, etc. A plug-in car, as they currently exist, is probably more suitable car for city driving in large metro areas due to the range. The problem with that is most large metro drivers don't have garages to part the car and there curb-side recharging sites would be needed and where does the electric company get all that extra generating capacity in the first place. Most large cities don't want another coal fired power plant nearby due to smog and the greenies will not allow more nuclear plants anywhere.

Keep an open mind on where transportation is going as it may well change a lot in the next few decades.

Wow, this picked up again.

The 'electric' Vette I'm talking about does not require plug-in charging. It uses fuel cells fueled with hydrogen to create electricity for the motors. This would require hydrogen refueling stations like gas pumps not electric sockets. Also, only a minimal number of batteries would be required to maintain the car when the fuel cell is shut down.

There are lots of problems with plug-in electric vehicles: range, recharge time, batteries, weight, power plants, etc. A plug-in car, as they currently exist, is probably more suitable car for city driving in large metro areas due to the range. The problem with that is most large metro drivers don't have garages to part the car and there curb-side recharging sites would be needed and where does the electric company get all that extra generating capacity in the first place. Most large cities don't want another coal fired power plant nearby due to smog and the greenies will not allow more nuclear plants anywhere.

Keep an open mind on where transportation is going as it may well change a lot in the next few decades.

Where will we get the hydrogen? Water?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom