Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical Gremlin found, need help!!!

M

Mart

After chasing an electrical problem I found it while testing the amp drain from the battery, I was getting a 1.6 mA drain, when I finally pulled the courtesy/clck fuse it dropped to .75mA

Now onto finding just what in that circuit was causing the problem.

Problem No.2 I recently moved and all my books are still in boxes and I cannot find my manual.

could someone post or send a pic of the wiring diagram for this circuit.

Thanks
Mart

Aaarrrrggg, I went out this morning and the battery had drained again, could this just be the battery, it was new AC unit last year.

Well I'm open to suggestions.

Mart

I took a chance and drove it to work today then disconnected the battery, we'll see when I leave if it's alive or not.

I might run out at lunch and take a V reading to see if it is draining. If so I think time for a battery.

How old is the battery, get it checked

The battery was a new AC Delco unit last year as mentioned above.

Absolutly right, thanks 6speeder almost forgot to test alternator.

While driving the dash reads between 13.5 - 13.8V

I will test the alternator tonight, thanks for the reminder.

I will be checking those things tonight, I have always had the hood lights disconnected.

Thanks again 6speeder.
Mart

I was getting a 1.6 mA drain, when I finally pulled the courtesy/clck fuse it dropped to .75mA

The normal draw from your car with the ignition off and no lights on should be around 35 milliamps. 1.6mA and .75mA can't be correct. From your numbers I'd say the draw is 1.6 amps and .75 amps. What scale was your meter on?

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson Dohhh, absolutly correct ecss, that's what I said, or meant.

Mart

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson Dohhh, absolutly correct ecss, that's what I said, or meant.

Mart

:)

I only have the schematics for a 89 which should be very close to a 86. This info. is for a Coupe.

Fuse CTSY/CLK supplies 12 volts to the following.

Bose Amp. Relay.

LH and RH Map Courtesy Light That's the light on the side of each door panel. Some one posted they had the round electrical plug/connector on the backside of the Map Light crack and two of the wires were sometimes shorting together.

Heater and A/C Control head for C68 Auto Climate control.

Courtesy Light Delay Timer.

Radio.

LH and RH Footwell Courtesy Light.

Audio Alarm Module.

LH and RH Engine Light.

Cigar Lighter Make sure no loose change stuck in that area.

Center console light.

Tell tale assembly. The 12 volts drives the Security indicator and Low Coolant light bulb.

LH and RH Cargo Lights.

Spare Tire Light.

Power antenna relay.
Power antenna capacitor. Both located under the black center plastic trim panel that goes around the back of the hatch area.

So if you disconnect the CTSY/CLK fuse and the interior lights are off, you should read around 35 milliamps. If you still read higher, you might have two problems.

Very strange, last night I fully charged the battery, this moning I checked it and did the light test between the neg post and the neg cable "the light came on" this is with the CTSY/CLK fuse out.

Apparently I still have a problem...

Thanks for all the info in the circuit, I think there still may be an issue there and you gave me some ideas.

Mart

Several years ago I had an '87 with the same problem. I finally chased it down to the passenger side power window switch in the up side. The only way I found it was to disconnect the battery and then hook it up and the switch relay clicked. Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom