Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

electrical shut down

vh82

Corvette
1982 Collectors Edition
just got ride back from mechanic-losing compression on #7,.-First test run of 25 minutes , ran like a charm. Went out today for a cruise, and after about 10 miles I had a total electrical shutdown. Managed to turn onto a side street and not break anything. Flatbed ride home, battery 6 mos old but tested good. Wondering about the fusible link ? If it's the one I think going into the alternator (40 amp) it's so gunky I can't tell what's going on. Wires are not melted to any connections to alternator as stated in manual. Any thoughts on what would cause this or where to begin looking? Has anyone replaced the fusible link in situ as the manual hints at being able to do? (in lieu of replacing the entire harness)? Already out 5 weeks in shop-hate to be missing spring cruisin!! thanks;help

On mine, the fusible link was a pigtail loop sticking out of the harness on the psgr side on the firewall. I believe it had quick disconnects on it, so it should be replaceable in situ.

Am going out in my robe and slippers to check for what you posted as pigtail loop-I'm no mechanic so it's pictures in the manual and matching! Will check back. Thanks for info.

73shark-aftersome serious unwinding of black tape, and the trouble lite(it was dark) I located the connection you mentioned. Hurrah!Called mechanic this morning and he said that was the main power to everything from battery and it was cooked like 5 day old frijoles! Had it towed up to shop and he took out the connector and straight wired it in-started like a charm and I ran home at 75 with no problems. Hope I can get some road time before it gets too blessed hot now! thanks for the info-it was very helpful. vh82:)

Please replace the fusible link as it blew for a reason. :eek:hnoes It is simply a smaller gauge wire that will fuse before the wiring harness does.

Without it, you risk torching the car. :cry

well crudley doo dah-the connector was an original part and the corners were cracked off on both the clear (female) and black (male) plug; moisture had corroded the wires in and out of both sides of the plug.(yep I have the part!) So I could lite up my car without this connector?? I haven't located a matching part in any of the vette catalogs. Am I looking for the right thing? Does it have a proper name? or is it a complete harness item? Watching my car burn on the side of the highway might cause me to speak unladylike things-lol.

You could get two pairs of quick connects and a short piece of the correct gauge wire and make your own. Sorry, I don't know the wire gauge to use. Might try asking one of the aftermarket wiring harness suppliers.

Is there enuf of the original fusible link left to determine the gauge?

Spouse has been checking and everyone tells him he has to buy the complete harness ($250.00) If I only need one) There is enough wire to make a re-connect if I could find the correct kind- This connector had 6 wires on each side of the connection, 3 to a row:1st row, red,blue,red/ 2nd row,purple, red,black. All are heavy gauge, multi stranded copper, except the black which is somewhat smaller. Each wire connects to a to a flange (like a fuse) and then all insert into (female) slots on the other half of the connector. Is this even the link? Scared to drive it now for fear that it'll torch.

Not sure what connector that you're talking about. My fusible link is a single wire ~4" long that sticks out of the wiring harness going to the starter. On mine, it's next to the splash guard on the psgr side. Sounds like you might be looking at something else.

Can you post a pic(s) of what and where?

Yes we are talking two different things . Mech said it was just a way to easily connect power when dropping in block at factory. He assures me it's safe. Lol-he's in our vette club and I know where he lives if anything goes bad! Will try to put up a pic or two, but will have to figure out how to do that on here. Now, I'll try to locate the wire you're talking about.unless it was included in that bundled connector. Thanks for help and I'll get back .

Well since yours is nine years newer than mine, they may have changed where/how they put it. Still wonder what drew enuf current to apparently melt the wire in yours. Or did the connection just get so bad that it would no longer conduct current?

I suspect that your connector probably is associated w/ the ECM and distributor and carb.

My 77 has two fusible links. One at the starter and another between the alt and the fuseblock connector on the firewall.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom