Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Emissions equipment on 73 Vettes

Ryan536

Corvette
1973 Black Stingray
A few years ago our Canadian Goverment declared they were getting tough on crime. Apparently the biggest criminals out there are classic car owners who remove PCV valves and EGRs or Cats from their cars. We are such big criminals that they even have their "Enviro-Cops" parked outside of cruise nights and car shows on Saturdays and Sundays to catch these "scumbags" as they leave the events. These cars probably don't even see 1000 kms a year so I don't believe they pollute that much and this Policing costs us (the Taxpayers) how much????
My favourite thing though is that they have written the laws so grey that even when you are right you are wrong.

Anyway enough of the rant.... My question is what emissions equipment came on a Non-California 1973 Corvette. Did the car come with Catalytic Converters? Right now I have a PCV valve and that's about it from what I can tell. I don't have the original carb (Edelbrock now).

As we're learning (again) the hard way here, voting does have concequences.......sounds like we all need to pay much closer attention to our "ruling" class idiots...

Vehicles manufactured before 1988 do not require emissions testing in Ontario. I just registered my '77 and no test was required. However, this may not address the issue you are raising - random checks to assess the emission control equipment on a specific vehicle. If there is no testing required to register the vehicle, then what law(s) are they enforcing when conducting such inspections? What are they actually looking for? :(
I've never heard of this.:hb

btw, I live near Toronto so this is of interest to me.

Hi BobRBob,

Yes any pre 1988 does not need e-testing. These laws have nothing to do with Ontario's Drive Clean. There has been a law since 1974 or so (as we were told) that basically says that the vehicle has to have the emissions control system it was originally equipped with — or replaced with approved after-market parts — and that all of the components are in place and connected. They just decided to start enforcing it in the last couple of years.

My boss was nailed on his 1987 Gruman work truck (with GM drivetrain). The air pumps had seized so he removed them. It didn't affect emissions - it always passed at a tenth of all the limits. We got pulled over as a random roadside check and he was fined for removing the air pumps. He fought it because the GM Dealer could not supply those air pumps anymore. His fine was dropped from $350 to $50 because they felt he could have tried harder to replace the pumps.

I live near a small town called Brockville (East of Kingston) where they camped outside the 2009 annual 1000 Islands Car show (with their cars idling the whole time I might add) and nailed people as they left.
Here is the best link I could find about this:

Media Backgrounder: ONTARIO’S SMOG PATROL PREPARES FOR SMOG SEASON

Thanks for the correction Mikey but don't be surprised if they come to the "Belle Province" as well.

Ryan, good explanation. Thanks.

Not sure how to proceed at this point. I'm having my '77 done over and my plans do/did not include cats in the new dual exhaust. As for the original cat, almost the size of a garbage can lid and about as effective, it's still in there, blocking the free flow of exhaust and, I'm sure, contributing nothing to air quality. It, however, would pass muster. :confused

Hilarious.:puke

I've now heard independent stories from three owners in Ontario regarding the requirement to have all smog stuff in place. Demonstrating functionality is a different matter at this point.

I would guess it's a crap shoot guessing how long the cops will keep up the inspections, or what chances an individual owner would have in being selected out of a crowd.

On the other hand, smog equipment is not the big nasty horsepower robbing thing as believed by many. Newer high flow c/converters have little or no impact on flow. I'd put one of those on just to be legal.

For the OP, since some previous owner did him a 'favour' by junking everything, it's going to cost some $$$. I'd like to kick the a** of the 2nd owner of my car, he tossed the EGR, smog pump and TCS system on my '73, it cost me a fortune to find the original parts.

The chances of getting caught are very slim. I've never really been scared of being caught since I drive to work before 8am and leave after 5pm and my only other Vette driving times are on sunny weekends.

The government works banker's hours at best but after this summer with them working on Saturdays and Sundays (How much did that cost us???) it got me thinking a little more. I'm thinking of avoiding cruise nights and car shows for now and keeping an eye out for the parts I'm missing.

This law also opens another can of worms. What if I decided to put a 2005 motor in the car? Or better yet what about the Diesel C3 I saw on here.... Does the original 1973 pollution equipment have to be on the motor and working? The law says YES!!!!

That's what I was saying about the Law written in grey and not black and white. That's so when you are right you are wrong. If they want to fine you they will. Ask any truck driver with experience with the MTO.

I will agree that the pollution stuff shouldn't be tampered with but compared to Major Industries, Coal burning plants, CHINA, etc etc... I feel that there are bigger fish to fry than a few thousand classic car owners.

Hey Mikey - have fun in Kemptville I hope the weather cooperates. If you have time you guys should check out Merrickville. It's a really nice little tourist town and it's only twenty minutes down the road from Kemptville. Your wives will thank me!!!! :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom