Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

engine block or scrap iron?

T

tgrant

I have an engine block with cast #'s 3737739 and code FI23CT This block was stored poorly and has rust in cylinders. My limited research shows this is a 283 from a 58 vette. Is this true? Also, what would be the max bore this engine can handle? I fear the rust damage is too extensive.

I know we used to bore them 60 over, back when I used to race engines. Some thought this might make them overheat, but I did not have nay trouble. You could sleeve them.

If the block has minimal core shift, a 283 should go out to 060, however, if it's aready .030, sometimes a good strategy is to order custom pistons and take the bores to .040-over.

Also, "CT" is the suffix for the 283/245, the "low-performance" dual-four-barrel engine.

I have a 350 block that I thought was rusted too bad to use. My son had his friend in an auto vo teck school bore it .030 and it cleaned up fine. Don't throw it away. We used to bore these out to make 301s (.120) so they will go a lot further than .060.

Tom

Tom,
I too built a few 301's in the old days. If I remember correctly, you needed a 59 or later 283 to safely bore them out .125 over. The early 283's were too thin to go more than .060 over.

Jim

Thank you guys for all the info, it sounds like sleeving would be required, which probably would not be worth it unless someone was trying to get their numbers to match up. Thanks again

Someone will want to try to save this block for their restoration so don't throw it away. I was afraid to even try on this one but it cleaned up at .030 for my son. It looked a lot worse than it was. Here's one of the rusty cylinders.

Tom

47b7d729b3127ccebbec6e48a49700000036100Aas2bVk4bt2LA

47b7d729b3127ccebbedaa8d054c00000036100Aas2bVk4bt2LA

Once rebuilt an industrial four banger (portable arc welder) that had sit out in the weather for four years with the head removed. We had to beat the old pistons out with a 10# sledge hammer. Cylinders cleaned up at .040" over.

3737739 blocks are for 1958 only !!

This block was only used in 1958 and very early 59 production. It was a completely new block from the 57 block used in Corvettes. The cylinder walls were thicker than 57's and was the first block that had three motor mount threaded holes on each side in front of the freeze plug.

The F123= Flint, Jan. 23, 58 as the assembly date on the 'CT' 245hp 2x4 CORVETTE engine that Hib described. So it is a perfect engine for vin #3677 or so which was made January 31, 58 a week later. The casting date should be A168 or a number close which is about a week earlier than assembly.

If these dates match up to your needs I would not be affraid to buy it and send it to a qualified engine machine shop. Have them clean and hot tank the block, magnaflux for cracks and give you an estimate of costs to bore to rebuild size. Many 58 blocks can go .040 and some to .060. You can sleeve all 8 cylinders also.

These engines are getting harder and harder to find as are the 3748770 heads that go on all these engines. Just last week I saw a rebuilt engine with "CT" same suffix and a correct 2x4 intake and rebulit dated carburators bid to $5750 and not sell as the seller wanted $10,000 for the complete rebuilt set-up.

Vettefinderjim is right on the money. You can bore these blocks over .100" because of the thicker cast walls. A better fix is to sleeve them. By no means is this block scrap!! I need one with a date code prior to my cars build date of 11/08/57, VIN 0885 and would love to get the "CT" suffix. This has turned into a 2 year search so far with no end in sight. Your block will make someone out there very happy one of these days, you just need to find each other!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom