Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

engine combo advise

spikebot 81

Corvette
81 white, not stock
I need some help from all you very smart people on a engine build in progress. The engine is out of the Vette and on a stand. My first thought was just do a top end swap. The current engine is from a 1970 C10 truck acording the the pad stamp numbers. 350 sbc, bored .040, stock gm crank, stock gm rods, stock 882 heads, unmarked cam. The engine has aprox 25000 since rebuilt which was by the p.o. When I removed the heads the first step was to check the deck height. Thats where the project gets interesting. Pistons are .040 down in the hole and a .041 head gasket was removed. I had my heart set on some RHS pro action heads from compition products. 180cc runners 64 chambers to matched with a voodoo 60102 cam adv. duration 262. But with 0.15 head gasket that puts the quench at 0.055. Compression will be high,9.90 to 10:1. Compition products dont offer a 72 cc head from rhs but other venders may have them for a bigger price tag. Any thoughts?

Sorry C5 guys this was to be in C3 forum.. Mod could you please relocate this tread?

Done. :)

-Mac

I need some help from all you very smart people on a engine build in progress. The engine is out of the Vette and on a stand. My first thought was just do a top end swap. The current engine is from a 1970 C10 truck acording the the pad stamp numbers. 350 sbc, bored .040, stock gm crank, stock gm rods, stock 882 heads, unmarked cam. The engine has aprox 25000 since rebuilt which was by the p.o. When I removed the heads the first step was to check the deck height. Thats where the project gets interesting. Pistons are .040 down in the hole and a .041 head gasket was removed. I had my heart set on some RHS pro action heads from compition products. 180cc runners 64 chambers to matched with a voodoo 60102 cam adv. duration 262. But with 0.15 head gasket that puts the quench at 0.055. Compression will be high,9.90 to 10:1. Compition products dont offer a 72 cc head from rhs but other venders may have them for a bigger price tag. Any thoughts?

Since the engine is out, have the block decked.

I run a '0' deck blocked with a 0.040 head gasket. On my 383, static CR is 10.30, cam is a CC XE274H and I run TF aluminum 64cc heads.

It runs fine on 89 octane pump gas.

10.0 compression with aluminum heads shouldn't be a problem. I'm using Fel Pro 2094 rubber coated shim gaskets with my AFR 195 heads with the same cam Glen is running (XE274HR) and it runs great.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom