Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ENGINE COMPRESSION

EOLIVER

Corvette
1989 DARK BLU METALIC SIX SPEED CONV
I have a 1989 corvette with a bad front rank seal and some blowby oil on the valvercovers. To temporarily mitigate the crank seal leak is used some seal sweller and for the blowby i have also used some ring sealer. The ring sealer resulted in smoke out of the exhaise at freeway speeds. Prior to that I was intent on getting the engine rebuilt but opted for a compression test first that revealed all clynider at 150PSI. Most folks say that a rebuild is not in order with these specs, I would be interested in other opinions because i may be able to get buy with an engine flush, front crank seal and oil pan gasket replacement? It runs pretty strong as is thought when I start it up monthly.

While I was having trouble with my 94 one of the things that I checked was compression. Mine too ranged from 150-155 on all cylinders, and now that I found the problem she runs like a bat out of H3LL. I don't think you need to rebuild, just fix the leaks.

If you have "smoke out the exhaise (sic) at highway speeds, I suggest you determine if that's just temporary because you used some snake oil "ring sealer" additive or if it's permanent.

If you have constant smoke out the exhaust, ignore the compression test and have a leakage test done and perhaps a blow-by test.

Based on those results, you can make a credible decision on overhauling the engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom