Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Heat from Dash/A/C

D

DaveMacGSP

I recenlty purchased a beautiful '75 Vette. One challenge, other than the A/C does not work, is that no matter what controls on the climate system I set, when I run it hard I get a lot of heat out of the vents. It doesn't take running it long at 60 - 70 miles an hour. I am aware of some heat barriers to go under the carpet, but I think I may have some problems with the ventalation system.

Thoughts?

I would not be surpised to learn the hot water shut off valuve is stuck open allowing warm coolant to run continuously through the heater core. Might want to check it.

;)

I had the same problem on my 1982 when i bought it. Turns out that the valve was stuck open (just as 6880 Mike suggested).
I decided that it would be easier to just install a ball valve in the hose going to th heater core.
Downside: i have to pop my hood to turn the heater on/off
Upside: If my heater core springs a leak, I can shut off the flow of fluid.

If you want to keep your engine stock, then this is not your answer.
Personally, it doesn't bother me at all.

I know that a lot of other people have done this.

Good Luck.

Thanks

Mike and Mini Fridge,

Thanks for the advice. This appears to be a great forum for this type of thing.

Good riding!

Dave
'75 C3

heat from dash

How would you fix the valve to stop hot water from going into heater core? Bob

This problem has plagued old C3'ers for ever and has been the topic of many discussions on various boards. If you find a real fix for it I'm all ears. I have tried taking the heater lines and short circuiting the heater core all together... same problem.

I personally think the hot air is coming in through the openings on either end of the wiper well and making its way into the system. Next time I get mine on the road (will be a while - its in bare glass) I want to try stuffing a wrag or piece of foam in them to block air. Then take it for an extended spin on a hot day and see how it does.
good luck.

Check the weatherstripping that seals the hood to the firewall just in front of the wipers. If this weathertripping is not tight hot air from the engine compartment will come into the cowl area and then into the HVAC air inlet. I replaced this weatherstripping and I got cool air from the vent registers. I install a water cut off valve in my 73 - 73's did not come with one. I got one from a Ford Ranger that does just shut but allows the hot water to circulate without going into the heater core.
Roger

I had the same problem on my 1982 when i bought it. Turns out that the valve was stuck open (just as 6880 Mike suggested).
I decided that it would be easier to just install a ball valve in the hose going to th heater core.
Downside: i have to pop my hood to turn the heater on/off
Upside: If my heater core springs a leak, I can shut off the flow of fluid.

If you want to keep your engine stock, then this is not your answer.
Personally, it doesn't bother me at all.

I know that a lot of other people have done this.

Good Luck.

I replaced the valve that was there with a Ball Valve (from Ace Hardware). That made a huge difference. One other thing, the radiator fluid was real low, so adding fluid may have helped also.

I am attaching a picture of the original valve and the replacment.

Now on to the fixing the stereo that was not working. Someone took out the original and put in a Pioneer. If I can find an original I will try and replace it. The speakers at the kick plate were removed, so I am going to try and replace those.

Now on to the fixing the stereo that was not working. Someone took out the original and put in a Pioneer. If I can find an original I will try and replace it.
Since you don't seemed concerned with originality, I wouldn't try to go back to an OEM-type radio. They were garbage and any of the remanufactured or post-type radios that you can still buy are overpriced garbage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom