Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Seized, shavings in bell housing

Corvette
1996 LT4 Collector Edition
Hello. The LT4 in my ’96 CE seized last weekend. I was doing a track day at a local road course. Last session of the day, about halfway through the warm-up lap, a really loud nasty sound started up from the front of the car. It sounded as if something was being turned on a metal lathe. I pulled into the pits, and at idle the sound was more like a grinding sound than a lathing sound. I started and stopped the engine a couple times to try to figure out what the sound was. The last time I stopped the engine, it stopped more abruptly than an engine normally does, and would not re-start. I could hear the starter engage, but it was meeting an immovable object… I also cannot turn the engine manually with my big breaker bar on the crank pully nut.

In trying to diagnose the problem, I pulled the starter motor, hoping that the solenoid had shorted and engaged the starter at speed. That was not the case, but after pulling the starter and the flywheel inspection shield, the bell housing is full of metal shavings!! I can’t see any damage to the flywheel itself, but I can’t see the clutch side. I should say that all the other accessories, PS pump, water pump, etc, are OK. I included a couple shots of the shavings, and one of the starter, which I think looks OK.

About 7000 miles ago, I had a McLoed clutch and flywheel installed to replace the failing dual-mass flywheel. I’m thinking maybe something worked loose, but I can’t think of what. Anybody ever have this happen?

Thanks for your help!

Bolt backed out of the flywheel or the pressure plate.
Pull the transmission and clutch assembly and it should be obvious what is wrong.

Good call, it's either that or a spring broke in the pressure plate hub.

Follow-up...

Well, the verdict is in, and the problem was a rear main seal retaining ring bolt that worked loose, and wedged itself between the flywheel and the bell housing. It chewed up the outside edge of the flywheel a bit, but didn't get into the ring gear at all. The shop should be able to clean the flywheel up and put it back in.

On the bright side, the rear seal was leaking, so they're replacing it before Loctite-ing everything back in place!

Thanks again for the input.

Barry

Good to hear that it wasn't any more damaging than it was. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom