Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

engine swap or rebuild

mejetdrvr

hey guys, need some input. I have an '80, with l-82 engine. runs good. but concidering an zz4 crate for more power and all around fun. but here's my snag. if I pull the l-82 and drop an crate, i have noware to store the old eng. so I thought of rebuilding the l82, to something close to zz4 specs. but the it might cost more. any body out there that has came to this cross rode, please chime in and give me your inputs..

thanks

I am in the same position as you, I would like to keep the original motor in there but getting a crate motor is cheaper and will have more power. Let us know what u decide...

I think I'm gonna go with the zz4, and clean up the engine bay with some pretty shinny stuff. I've read that I would have to change out the balencer? is this true? I know about the flex plate thing and water pump thing. anybody out there with an 80. can you comfirm one way or another?

1980 was the last year for the L-82 and for any optional engine in a C3. It's original for your car and has value. Do the crate if you want, but I would sure as heck park that L-82 in the garage for resale time.

:)

Hey Mejet, it's all about keeping it original or not. If you want to match the power of the zz4 it can be done without losing your #s matching status. Bore and stroke to 383 cu.in.
have your heads ported, swap out to a better cam, intake, carb, 1 3/4 headers and just like that you're running with the crates. You will need to do the price comparision based on your ability on assembly and tear down.
peace Bud

I'm for keeping my car as original as possible, and the 76 engine has no power. But all I do is cruise along the highways anyway, so power is not a problem. I just hate to see a car that has been cabbaged up by someone, but that is my view and you should do what you want to with your car, since it is your car.

I'm for keeping my car as original as possible, and the 76 engine has no power. But all I do is cruise along the highways anyway, so power is not a problem. I just hate to see a car that has been cabbaged up by someone, but that is my view and you should do what you want to with your car, since it is your car.

I couldn't agree more!

Signatures don't seem to show up anymore, but mine reads:

"The best sound my L48 ever made was when it hit the garage floor!"

I just don't care what anyone else thinks about my car. It's not my job to keep it stock (I like Cabbage, I have 425 of 'em). :harhar

Ive got an 80, I had the same quandry , keep the car original and end up with a real dog of a car or soup it up........

I dont think the low powered 1980 will ever be a real collectors item , that and the fact that I got beaten by 2 20something chicks in a Golf GTI (and they gave me the finger to boot) made me decide to soup it up. One more thing was that ANY american muscle type car or sports car is collectible in South Africa , there are VERY few vettes around and the market here demands both the looks and something in the "Broeks" (pants) and as an original , I wouldnt get a 2nd look if ever selling it.

Anyway , the mods I have done are these.
Willwood discs and Praggia 8 pot pistons, Swap 3:1 rear for a 3.55 rear gear , TCI 2600 stall, shift kit in the box , hurst promatic 2 shifter, Autometer Gauges , Decent semi racing seats and harnesses , delete aircon , edelbrock performer heads , ceramic coated headers , up comp ratio to 10:1 (using 64cc edelbrock heads) 280h cam , aftermarket dizzy , msd 6al, Steering and suspension overhaul, Performer intake , holly 770 street avenger carb , stainless exhaust system etc. I kept my old block from the L48 motor
Car is limited at 6000 RPM and is a blast to drive , its still streetable and now does a 12.8 1/4 mile on 265 BF tyres in Drive!!!!!
The 2 things that REALLY woke the car up were the diff change and the stall convertor.
I was considering putting in a crate motor , but it was very expensive to import one and was cheaper to do the rebuild , motor currently makes about 375 HP , dunno if the crate motor will give you that. apart from that , the motor serial no is part of our liscencing scheme here , and changing to a new block requires re liscenecing the vehicle , police clearance of the new engine and going thru roadworthy again....a major schlep.
You dont have to go as far as I have , but the one thing I would suggest is that whatever route you go , get a higher than stock stall convertor , it really does wonders for response and acceleration.

So far , with a nice spray job and new interior the car has set me back $11k , might be a lot for a 1980 in the USA , but I have been offered $25k for it over here....but wont sell , the grin factor is priceless.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Ive got an 80, I had the same quandry , keep the car original and end up with a real dog of a car or soup it up........

I dont think the low powered 1980 will ever be a real collectors item , that and the fact that I got beaten by 2 20something chicks in a Golf GTI (and they gave me the finger to boot) made me decide to soup it up. One more thing was that ANY american muscle type car or sports car is collectible in South Africa , there are VERY few vettes around and the market here demands both the looks and something in the "Broeks" (pants) and as an original , I wouldnt get a 2nd look if ever selling it.

Anyway , the mods I have done are these.
Willwood discs and Praggia 8 pot pistons, Swap 3:1 rear for a 3.55 rear gear , TCI 2600 stall, shift kit in the box , hurst promatic 2 shifter, Autometer Gauges , Decent semi racing seats and harnesses , delete aircon , edelbrock performer heads , ceramic coated headers , up comp ratio to 10:1 (using 64cc edelbrock heads) 280h cam , aftermarket dizzy , msd 6al, Steering and suspension overhaul, Performer intake , holly 770 street avenger carb , stainless exhaust system etc. I kept my old block from the L48 motor
Car is limited at 6000 RPM and is a blast to drive , its still streetable and now does a 12.8 1/4 mile on 265 BF tyres in Drive!!!!!
The 2 things that REALLY woke the car up were the diff change and the stall convertor.
I was considering putting in a crate motor , but it was very expensive to import one and was cheaper to do the rebuild , motor currently makes about 375 HP , dunno if the crate motor will give you that. apart from that , the motor serial no is part of our liscencing scheme here , and changing to a new block requires re liscenecing the vehicle , police clearance of the new engine and going thru roadworthy again....a major schlep.
You dont have to go as far as I have , but the one thing I would suggest is that whatever route you go , get a higher than stock stall convertor , it really does wonders for response and acceleration.

So far , with a nice spray job and new interior the car has set me back $11k , might be a lot for a 1980 in the USA , but I have been offered $25k for it over here....but wont sell , the grin factor is priceless.
Good luck with whatever you do.

I agree to both side of the fense. Koop, I love your post, lmao,,,,Rodney, I understand, the sinking feeling of modern cars dusting us off. I like the idea of using an top end kit, it might fix both my problems, getting more power and not taking up room...thanks alot for the inputs, its really cool to hear different views from different guys..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom