Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ENGINE TEMP & LACK OF FUEL, ANY RELATIONSHIP

billroth

Corvette
2-88 bl & blk Conv, 96 Conv, 68 bl Tt, 98 & 03
I have a 88 with 71k and here is what been happening. After driving it for awhile I step on the gas it stalls and I hear a couple of muffled backfires. I let up on the gas and it remains running. Hit the gas hard, transmission down shifts and nothing. Once I got it at highway speeds and it was fine for 80 miles.

To date I have had the Vette at a Chevy dealer for about 2 weeks and $1000+ later, I still have the problem. They have replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor, computer, fuel filter, EGR valve, fuel pump pressure is good, Cat. converter is okay and replaced several electrical connectors. They get several different codes, but I never get a "service light".

Currently they get no code, but they observed that at a certain temp range about 165 to 170 degrees (approx) the stalling event starts up. If the car is driven at highway speeds during that temperture range its not noticed. When a fuel pressure gauge is connected, it shows it is starving for fuel during that temp range. We are going nuts :W trying to find a relationship now between the temp and the fuel pressure.

Any ideas?

If I were you, I would give Gordon Killebrew a call. Or, better yet, have the mechanic at the dealer give him a call. It will cost some money but I think too many items have been replaced to get a good read on what is really happening. Gordon is the smartest fella with the C4s and he can save you a bunch of diagnostic time.

Just my opinion! :)

Save The Wave! :w

Two temp sensors

One on the block between 6-8, the other under the ThrottleBody on the front of the intake manifold. They are thermistors and can operate correctly in portions of their range and incorrectly in others.
billroth said:
at a certain temp range about 165 to 170 degrees (approx) the stalling event starts up.
That would be a classic example. The computer is getting bogus info and trying to adjust.

I've seen it before. It's worth a shot, and cheaper than a lot of what has been done.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom