Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Temp

jracer49420

Corvette
1974 stingray
I have a '74 with a original 350. I just took my first trip with the car this past weekend. Just got the car a short time ago. Drove it a couple hundred miles. The engine temp read about 210 degrees. Sould it run that warm? If that is a little to warm what can be done to cool it down? Thanks

That sounds about right, the low 200 degree area is what I consider normal. Most of what I've read on this site indicates a lot of folks over cool their machines to fool the computer, you don't have that problem. I had 4-C3"s and interior heat was always an issue, especially after adding headers and other goodies. I'm sure a more knowledgable type wiil chime in. Enjoy.......... With an engine that has reached operating temp.........

Depending on the ambient temperature and the type of driving you do it will have the greatest effect on your engine temperature. My stock L-48 runs at 195 at freeway speeds and in stop and go traffic as high as 220 so it does fluctuate quite a bit on warm days. There is a good additive on the market to help reduce the engine temperature I have heard of with very good results for those that have cooling problems called Water Wetter. Sounds like your OK to me though. I change my coolant every two years regardless how much I drive it always using distilled water and 50/50 ratio of antifreeze and in the 25 years I have owned the car never had a over heating problem.
Brian

If your car is running around 210, then I wouldn't worry about it. Water Wetter is a great product (i've seen reduce the temperature by 10-15 degrees).

My 1982 used to run at 220-240+ depending on outside temp and how I was driving. I spent $500 and bought an aluminum radiator from DeWitt's and I barely hit 200 now. (i almost hit 210 when I drove across Texas in July with the AC on MAX).

Good Luck!

I barely hit 200 as well. Replaced the radiator and what a difference that made.

I have a '74 with a original 350. I just took my first trip with the car this past weekend. Just got the car a short time ago. Drove it a couple hundred miles. The engine temp read about 210 degrees. Sould it run that warm? If that is a little to warm what can be done to cool it down? Thanks

Step #1 is to check the upper radiator hose just above the thermostat housing with an I.R. gun and compare that reading against what the temp gauge says at the same time so you know what the gauge is really telling you; most temp gauges read hot, especially if the sending unit has been replaced.

If the gauge checks out OK and you see 210* regularly at road speed and you have unobstructed airflow through the radiator (no bugs, leaves, debris, etc.), you probably need a radiator; if it's the original, it's probably lost about 30%-40% of its heat rejection capability due to internal corrosion and scale.

:beer

Step #1 is to check the upper radiator hose just above the thermostat housing with an I.R. gun and compare that reading against what the temp gauge says at the same time so you know what the gauge is really telling you; most temp gauges read hot, especially if the sending unit has been replaced.

If the gauge checks out OK and you see 210* regularly at road speed and you have unobstructed airflow through the radiator (no bugs, leaves, debris, etc.), you probably need a radiator; if it's the original, it's probably lost about 30%-40% of its heat rejection capability due to internal corrosion and scale.

Hi Johnz, I've seen some "Hi Flo" water pumps, do they work? PG

Hi Johnz, I've seen some "Hi Flo" water pumps, do they work? PG

Nope, not necessary, and won't help any if the radiator isn't up to snuff. Only two things are the keys to proper cooling system performance - the radiator's heat rejection capability ("cooling capacity"), and the airflow through it. If those two things aren't to spec, it doesn't matter much what else you do.

Go to the link below and scroll down to "Cooling", and click on "cooling.pdf" (left-click to read, right-click to download); explains the FACTS about Corvette cooling systems without all the misinformation you find elsewhere:

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html

Nope, not necessary, and won't help any if the radiator isn't up to snuff. Only two things are the keys to proper cooling system performance - the radiator's heat rejection capability ("cooling capacity"), and the airflow through it. If those two things aren't to spec, it doesn't matter much what else you do.

Go to the link below and scroll down to "Cooling", and click on "cooling.pdf" (left-click to read, right-click to download); explains the FACTS about Corvette cooling systems without all the misinformation you find elsewhere:

http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vettetech.html

Thanks, that is a great write up, got a 180 Robertshaw and I'll put it on in a day or two. PG

I've just returned from the NCRS Nationals in Marlboro MA- a flawless 1400 mile round trip in my NOM '73 coupe. Even in 95* plus temps, the car never ran over 180 degrees engine temps unless we were stuck in traffic, in which case it climbed to just under 200.

This includes the 100+ car parade through Marlborough to the show field.

Your '74 should run similarly.:beer

Glad to hear that you had a great time at the show. I've never gone 1400 miles on one trip, have gone a few hundred miles and never had a problem either. My hoses and thermostst have been on for over 5 years so I'll change them just to be sure. Have a great day, PG

I have a 160 degree thermostat in my 76 with the original radiator and I never get above 200, if I sit on a hot Aug day with the AC on I can reach 200 but every thing else is 180. Yes the car does run fine in the winter also the engine heats up to about 170 and the heater works.

Hi 76 okievette, our car temps are about the same as I have a 160* thermostat in it now, after reading the html that John Z posted in # 9 I'll go with the 180* one, at least for the winter. Look under thermoststs in the article. PG

I have a 160 in my car, and I usually stay at 160. On a 100+ degree day, with the AC on, I might hit 200.

I also read JohnZ's article, and I think i'm going to put in a Mr. Gasket 180. I've never met the man, but I'd trust him with my Corvette any day.

And Like JohnZ said, the thermostat has no impact on how hot your car gets, only on how cold it gets.

Good Luck.

Sounds like good advice about the thermostat and when I have to change I will do with the Robershaw version. I do not believe that changing from a 160 to a 180 will impact these cars if they are cooling correctly, I have never heard of a corvette with excess cooling capacity as the article states so it should no make any difference. I do like the Robershaw design that fails open this will prevent lots of problems.

Before I did my overhauling thing, I had a stock 350 and I replaced the radiator at about 15 years of age. I also remember the stock fan freewheeling after awhile and replacing that.

The lower thermo always helps with cooling, however too cool and you should check your spark plugs and tune.... the original stock motors need some heat....

but thats just my lousy $.02!

I fun the bigger BE-COOL now with twin fans etc. My temps can climb due to compression and running pump gas, and the headers (it could be worse but mine are swain coated)

anyway 210 should not hurt that motor... that's not that high..

(we don't drive vettes in winter around here!)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom