Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Wash in C5

Paul Douglas

Corvette
2002 Quicksilver Coupe
I would like to wash the engine compartment in my '02 coupe, but don't know the safe way to do it. When I was a kid I would get a can of "Gunk" and spray it on. Then wash it off with a hose. This car is considerably more complicated, and I don't want to screw it up.. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input.

Paul

I would stay away from the old Gunk method. I used to love the smell of a freshly gunked motor. Remember the first few starts after the residue would burn off?

Anyway - Rags, toothbrushes and papertowels. You can spray Gumout on a the rags and wipe off road grease and dirt. Just keep it off of the plastic covers. Its strictly a by hand routine. I mostly use a spray household cleaner (Fantastic) and that works very well. I spray Armor All on the plastic and hoses after cleaning the engine and that also wrk great, though some dont like the shiney look.

Some sensors dont like harsh chemicals, and water collecting in places like under the plastic covers over the valve covers where the coil packs are wouldnt be to good.

I don't know......I'll fantastic it, and maybe a little armor all.....but no way I'm putting that much water on it :)

You guys really do that with no problems huh? (just asking)

Thats my method except I use simple green.

Couldn't agree more...:upthumbs

I do this to all my vehicles twice a year. I do remember the Gunk days way back in the early 70's.....Shoot, I must be getting old...;shrug

Whatever you do, don't steam clean it. Steam will get into places you don't want. When steam cools it becomes water which will get into electrical connectors, etc.

Whatever you do, don't steam clean it. Steam will get into places you don't want. When steam cools it becomes water which will get into electrical connectors, etc.

Oops! that is what I have been doing for the last 30 years. I better stop. :confused

Oops! that is what I have been doing for the last 30 years. I better stop. :confused
No,there all wet!!!! Thats all I use is my steam jenny!!! Steam and Water will evaporate!!!! Harsh Chemicals won't,Like Purple Power,Simple Green,409,Fantastic and others!!!(That Crap is Corrosive!!)People that apply that stuff and then hose or pressure wash just as well pour battery acid in all there wiring connectors and electronic components,cause thats all there doing over time anyway blasting it deep into the components and connectors!! :chuckle :chuckle The Only Opti-Spark I ever killed was the one I Slapped with a Tree Dead Center at 60 MPH!!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL :upthumbs :D

I also use a pressure washer at the car wash. I am careful where I spray, how close I hold the tip, etc. I have had no problems.

I've used the pressure washer on it without any problems. The one thing I do is make sure that the motor is stone cold, leaving the car over night before I put the cold water on it. You can probably do it with the engine running, but for me, I rather leave it overnight. Using some degreaser isn't going to hurt it as long as you don't use any harsh chemicals, and don't leave it on that long. My results have always been positive.

Beware of the old simple green on these cars. I heard from a old vette engineer about the seals (or something like that) under the intake manifold that water can collect and eat away at it. I do a gentle hose down (once in a while) and then a gentle hand rub. On the old cars with the small block chevys I would GUNK them up.

I've been using a water hose on my '03 for 4 years. I figure if I can drive it through a rain storm with no problems then a low pressure water hose won't hurt it.

I acquired a Culigian water softner (for a house) that I hooked up in my garage and use strictly for washing the cars...It works WONDERS!...the water beads off just like the system sold by the bald guy (I can't remember his name?)...

Using the soft water, miracle rags, and elbow grease on the engine seems to work fine...

So far, using low pressure water on the engine hasn't created any problems...

I clean my engine 3/4 times a year at the car wash using the rinse selection (no soap). Leave the motor running at idle. Lightly spray it off, keep your distance of 3 or 4 ft from the motor with the wand, no high pressures that way. Then shut it down and dry off the motor and under the hood.
I used to use the Gunk method way back when on my 71 Pontiac....
STW, Doc

father & son

vette-5.jpg
vett4-02.jpg
I use a small paint brush taped to a 1 1/2ft. wood stick,to get to hard to reach areas. apply a lite degreaser to brush and clean area. Use shop towels and tooth brushes to clean other sections of engine, that are easy to get at. I don't use any water it leaves spots ect:. Then i sqirt a fine mist of Armorall over all of engine area. work in with paint brush, then wipe off.
vett4-04.jpg

Hey, you can't knock a system that works this well!!

Be careful with the citrus-based cleaners. I read somewhere that they can discolor aluminum.

I tried several products to give the engine bay a shine, but they all seemed to attract and hold dust and dirt. The all time worst was the advice to spray your engine compartment with tire cleaner/shine. Ugh, what a mess!

All that by hand stuff seems like a lot of work, I like the
Total Immersion method, although it does have a few disadvantages
that need to be worked around. :D
attachment.php

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom