Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Work, What else should I replace??

V

volavet

:confused I am having my long standing intake manifold oil leak fixed, water pump replaced, coolant flushed (orig coolant!!) and the optispark while their in there done. They did not mention anything about getting a new thermostat or replacing wires/plugs - which seems to be a common theme among some of the posts. Any comments or advice about whether I should have these done as well (thermo and plugs) since it still runs perfect. Also, any other items I should consider replacing for preventative maint.

My 96 CE has 33k miles, all stock, all orig parts including tires, which need replacement badly.

Thanks for the advice and Help.
[Online]

If it ain't broke don' fix it

With the low milage you have I would not replace anything unless you have a water leak or an ignition problem. I take that back I might replace the plug wires???? By 96 they had much better Opti and I would guess they are expected to last at least 150K. If the water pump is not leaking what can you do to help??? As for the thermostate it is part of the water pump and again if the car performs correctly as far as running temp. etc. why spend the money. The best thing to do is buy a set of tires and then go drive the thing on a 500 mile day trip. That will get fresh gas in the tank and warm up all the internals. The worst thing for this car is to NOT DRIVE IT.

Since this has been posted twice, I responded to the one in the technical section. Maybe we can get a mod to combine the two.

I appreciate the feedback, but this is a major job, and I believe that I need to do whatever I can while they are down there, rather than wait till it breaks. This is my 3rd corvette, and I learned that lanesson the hard way, specifically replacing the water pump and not the opti-which went 1 month after the water pump due to the leaking/weeping pump getting into the opti. The labor to get back in there is exorbitant so I am looking for other items I should do while they are in there.

Change the thermostat. You don't want to pay a totally separate charge if that goes bad. I think thermostats should be less than $50 so you can pay an additional $50 now with the work or you can pay $50 and a separate labor charge.

Change the plugs/wires. They're relatively inexpensive and if you wait until something goes wrong with a plug or wire, it's too late already.

volavet said:
I appreciate the feedback, but this is a major job, and I believe that I need to do whatever I can while they are down there, rather than wait till it breaks. This is my 3rd corvette, and I learned that lanesson the hard way, specifically replacing the water pump and not the opti-which went 1 month after the water pump due to the leaking/weeping pump getting into the opti. The labor to get back in there is exorbitant so I am looking for other items I should do while they are in there.

I'm with you on the preventative maintenance. Water pump went out on my 92, had them do opti, wires and plugs. Do the thermostat and wires and plugs. Might think about radiator hoses which are already off. Serpentine belt too.

If I had it to do again, I would have had them steam the whole engine compartment when the opti was out!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom