Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Everyone thinks they are ProTeam now with their pricing....

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Seems like no end to the rising prices. I really have to blame it all on BJ Auctions, but you are right that ProTeam has been asking high prices for a long time. I guess people are paying or they wouldn't ask so much.

My Corvettes have been better investments than anything I did with equities.

Frankly, I think the prices are too low for C2s.:m

they are too low if you compare against what Camaros and Chevelles, and Mopar Hemi cars are bringing now! Those cars make C2's seems like the "economy" collector cars - that's scary.

A guy I know who lives only about 15 miles from me is seriously into Chevelles. He gets involves in most muscle cars and a few vettes but mostly Chevelles. A year or so ago he found one for sale, restored it (that's his business) and took it to B-J where he usually sells a couple cars a year. It brought over $500,000. Granted it was a Chevelle LS6, but it's still a Chevelle, a mid-sized family type car. They are nice cars and I do like them a lot, but still - $500,000 for one??!!

Proteam has had a corner on the market for a long time (like you said ) I got my car there,they have buyers all over the country..Good for him.
I to just saw an article in bussiness week about a Vitamin C Orange 1970 Hemi (only 1 built) auctioned for $$2.3 million.."Boomers Got Money"

Proteam has had a corner on the market for a long time (like you said ) I got my car there,they have buyers all over the country..Good for him.
I to just saw an article in bussiness week about a Vitamin C Orange 1970 Hemi (only 1 built) auctioned for $$2.3 million.."Boomers Got Money"
in my case....my EX WIFE GOT MONEY!!

I became aware that the Chevelles and GTOs were very under priced 5-10 years ago. Looking back I should kick myself in the butt. I should have bought more cars and less stock. Now the cars are worth a mint and the stocks aren't doing so well. Live and learn.

I became aware that the Chevelles and GTOs were very under priced 5-10 years ago. Looking back I should kick myself in the butt. I should have bought more cars and less stock. Now the cars are worth a mint and the stocks aren't doing so well. Live and learn.

Buy stuff you like and never sell anything , that's my new motto. Cause everything I ever sold I now regret it and in most cases I can't afford to buy it back.

Gerry

Priceless, you just cracked me up. Thanks.

Gerry
I am glad that I could be your source of entertainment:) ....T-minus 14 months and counting.....:beer

My Corvettes have been better investments than anything I did with equities.

Kid-again, you are right on, and I'm not just trying to weasel another ride to " Rillio's " next August. :L

Barry, Our Corvettes ARE undervalued as compared to the blossoming muscle car market. The value of our cars has increased over the years, but never the hundred fold values, that we are now seeing on some of GM's, and Mopar's muscle cars.

If I had my way, I would like to see another instant 50 % increase in the Corvette pricing. Don't forget they are a disappearing breed, and when they are gone, it's over.

Stepinwolf

Kid-again, you are right on, and I'm not just trying to weasel another ride to " Rillio's " next August. :L

Barry, Our Corvettes ARE undervalued as compared to the blossoming muscle car market. The value of our cars has increased over the years, but never the hundred fold values, that we are now seeing on some of GM's, and Mopar's muscle cars.

If I had my way, I would like to see another instant 50 % increase in the Corvette pricing. Don't forget they are a disappearing breed, and when they are gone, it's over.

Stepinwolf

Bob, in many ways I'd love to see a 50% increase in the values also just so when I look at the cars in my garage I can smile even more than I already do knowing they went up in value.......... but at the same time I wish that the market would crash on them and the values would plummet by 75% simply so I could afford to buy more of them to enjoy!
At some point I'd LOVE to add another C2, a C1 and an early chrome bumper C3 to the garage but the way prices are going I honestly don't know if I'll EVER be able to afford another corvette.
Even when I got my '65 2 1/2 years ago the price was high (compared to 10, 15 or more years ago when a lot of forum members bought their Midyears for literally only a couple thousand dollars) but even less than 3 years I've seen the appraised value go up significantly. At this ratre, by the time I find another job and can start putting and saving some money into the bank again rather than just taking out, the prices are going to be so high than even complete basket case project cars are not going to be affordable.
let the market crash, have prices drop WAY, WAY down again and lets go back to the days of just enjoying the cars rather than worrying about buying them for retirement investments, and seeing what they can bring from the "stupid money spenders" at places like B-J.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it will never happen but it's a nice fantasy.... ;LOL

Bob, in many ways I'd love to see a 50% increase in the values also just so when I look at the cars in my garage I can smile even more than I already do knowing they went up in value.......... but at the same time I wish that the market would crash on them and the values would plummet by 75% simply so I could afford to buy more of them to enjoy!
At some point I'd LOVE to add another C2, a C1 and an early chrome bumper C3 to the garage but the way prices are going I honestly don't know if I'll EVER be able to afford another corvette.
Even when I got my '65 2 1/2 years ago the price was high (compared to 10, 15 or more years ago when a lot of forum members bought their Midyears for literally only a couple thousand dollars) but even less than 3 years I've seen the appraised value go up significantly. At this ratre, by the time I find another job and can start putting and saving some money into the bank again rather than just taking out, the prices are going to be so high than even complete basket case project cars are not going to be affordable.
let the market crash, have prices drop WAY, WAY down again and lets go back to the days of just enjoying the cars rather than worrying about buying them for retirement investments, and seeing what they can bring from the "stupid money spenders" at places like B-J.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it will never happen but it's a nice fantasy.... ;LOL

I agree completely. I will never sell my car and I am trying to buy more but it is very difficult to find decent cars for what I can pay. I am not saying the other cars are not worth the money because it is the law of supply and demand but I just can't swing 60-90K for nice midyears. If it did crash (I don't believe it will) I would be ecstatic as I would then be able to fill multiple garages with cars (all kinds) that I love to drive. A fantasy, too true.

Best regards,
Gerry

A fantasy, too true.

geez, we must be getting old........ i remember when fantasies all revolved around women..... cars were nice, but it was women that fantasies were all about.
now we want car prices to drop.......
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

That sale price is more than likey less than the restoration cost. Especially if it was professionally done. Even though that makes it a good buy it is still way out of reach for me. If I hadn't bought my '59 back in '69 when they were really cheap I'd be out of luck today. The best thing I can do is keep the car and finish it up as I can afford to. Then keep it insured for an amount that will allow me to replace it if anything should happen.

Three cars I should have kept would be my red '65 300 4 speed convertible. All original including paint. A very presentable car that only needed some minor mechanical work, tires and exhaust. I sold it in 1972 for $1800. That was NOT a give away price at that time.

My 1967 Goodwood Green coupe 427/390 4 speed low option with head rest seats, posi and radio. $8900. in 1980. Not a bad price for an amature restoration with a lot of chrome on the engine. If it had been a matching 435 the price could have been mid 20s.

My 1970 El Camino SS 454 LS6. Autumn Gold with no options other than the SS package, LS6, M22, 3.55 posi and am radio. Have you ever seen a '70 Elco SS454 LS6? There are lots of LS5s out there but I have never seen any LS6 Elcos listed for sale on in any publication. I contend that it was maybe the only one. I sold it in '75 for $2400. I came out pretty good on that one, don't you think? During the oil embargo you couldn't give this stuff away.

Reggie Jackson said in an interview in Car Craft a few years ago that one car he has searched for but never been able to find was a 1970 El Camino SS 454 LS6. Unfortunately the one I had no longer exists which really makes me wish that I had kept it.

Tom

[Reggie Jackson said in an interview in Car Craft a few years ago that one car he has searched for but never been able to find was a 1970 El Camino SS 454 LS6. Unfortunately the one I had no longer exists which really makes me wish that I had kept it.

Tom[/quote]

I have seen one-in Helena, Montana in 1976. It was Black, with black vinyl top, cowl hood and white SS stripes. The car and it's owner lived near my High School, so I saw it fairly often. I know it was an LS6 because I saw it with the hood up one day (the owner was working on it, doing a tune-up or something, I can't recall). Since then (as now) I was into musclecars, I walked over to have a look and compliment the owner. Sure enough-it had "450 HP" on the air cleaner decal. Some that got away from me:

In 1976: '55 Chevy, 2 door post, 96K miles - $55
'67 Mustang coupe - $300
'69 Plymouth RoadRunner with 440 six-pack, lift-off fibreglass hood, Ansen Sprint mags - $1500
'66 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 bbl. auto, tilt wheel, white paint, blue interior and odd "half-vinyl" black top. The black vinyl top was only at the rear part of the roof. $600. No kidding.
'66 Chevelle SS396. Original everything. $500.
'67 Camaro 396, not SS or RS. $500

I'm always looking. Just recently found a '72 Malibu hardtop, no hit body, minor wheel lip rust, needs timing chain - $500. That one will be in my yard soon. ;)

One of the things that troubles me is this whole "re-creation" thing. AKA "clones". That, to me, is stupid money-I can't believe what these counterfeit cars are getting (Hemis, Yenkos, etc.). :crazy

Rick
:gap

If I had my way, I would like to see another instant 50 % increase in the Corvette pricing
Unless you plan on selling your car, then why?

I like the market right in the middle. I believe it keeps it a bit more pure.

When the prices are too high, even some serious enthusiasts/connoisseurs can't afford the cars and the cars end up as just a few trophy garage queens for the people that can afford them but don't truly love them.

When the market drops too low, you start seeing these cars turn up in the ghetto with 22" spinner rims.

Where the market is right now is good, IMHO. Out of reach of the ghetto, but not limited to only the significantly wealthy.

One of the things that troubles me is this whole "re-creation" thing. AKA "clones". That, to me, is stupid money-I can't believe what these counterfeit cars are getting (Hemis, Yenkos, etc.). :crazy

Rick
:gap[/quote]

Know what you mean about stupid money. B-J had a Hemi GTX clone (started as a Belvedere, I think) that went for almost twice as much as a real, albiet unrestored, Hemi GTX. And what about the 59 Corvette that belonged to Mia Hamm and Nomar Garciapara that sold for $110,000. It had a 350 in it for pete's sake!!

The cars I wish I had back (in order of today's value):

'69 Mach I 428 CJ w/ C-6, shaker scoop, front air dam, rear spoiler, window slats, fold-down rear seat. $5500 in 1979. I know, I know...it's a Ford.

'70 Corvette LT-1 convertible 370/350 4-sp w/ power windows. $5000 in '80

'64 Corvette convertible 327/300 4-sp. $2200 in '73.

'63 Impala SS w/ factory air. $400 in 1970

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom