Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Exclusive Video - 2010 Grand Sport LS3 Dry Sump System

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Below is a link to an exclusive video from GM Powertrain taking an in-depth look at the 2010 Grand Sport Corvette's LS3 engine with Dry Sump Lubrication system.

A little known fact is that the dry sump lubrication system only comes on the LS3 engines that go into the 2010 Grand Sport Corvette coupes equipped with a manual transmission. These engines are hand built and signed at the Wixom plant just like the LS7 and LS9 engines.

These engines do not come on Grand Sports with Automatic transmissions, nor do they come with the Grand Sport convertibles!

I also believe that there are NO RPO differences when ordering a Grand Sport Corvette.

VetteTube - Corvette Videos, Corvette Babes, Corvette Pics, Corvette Burnouts, Corvette Mods

Interesting. How's the crank different?

So a GS Convertible with manual tranny does not get the dry sump oiling system?

-Tatortot

So a GS Convertible with manual tranny does not get the dry sump oiling system?

-Tatortot

These engines do not come on Grand Sports with Automatic transmissions, nor do they come with the Grand Sport convertibles

Interesting. How's the crank different?
Did you watch and listen to the video? The nose of the crank is longer to fit in the dual stage oil pump.

Below is a link to an exclusive video from GM Powertrain taking an in-depth look at the 2010 Grand Sport Corvette's LS3 engine with Dry Sump Lubrication system.

A little known fact is that the dry sump lubrication system only comes on the LS3 engines that go into the 2010 Grand Sport Corvette coupes equipped with a manual transmission. These engines are hand built and signed at the Wixom plant just like the LS7 and LS9 engines.

These engines do not come on Grand Sports with Automatic transmissions, nor do they come with the Grand Sport convertibles!

I also believe that there are NO RPO differences when ordering a Grand Sport Corvette.

VetteTube - Corvette Videos, Corvette Babes, Corvette Pics, Corvette Burnouts, Corvette Mods

Hope this system works better than the '06-'08 LS7 system. Oil starvation issue in prolonged left hand turns has caused engine damage and several failures. :eyerole

That doesn't help those of us who lost an engine with the old system. They should have done more through testing before proclaiming it "race track ready".

Hasn't early testing shown that this group of engines seems to have a bit more power than the "standard" prduction LS3's ??

Did you watch and listen to the video? The nose of the crank is longer to fit in the dual stage oil pump.
And it is a forged crank - only available with the dry sump system in the Grand Sport Coupe with manual transmission.

If you wanted to buy this engine as a crate engine from GMPP I wonder what the part number would be?

There are some pros and cons on dry sumps, as I see it. Looking at the video there are several pluses, notably the elimination of oil starvation in high G loads and better air/oil separation. The down side is the complexity and additional weight of it. Dry sumps have been around for a long time in both automobiles and airplanes. They involve a remote fixture with oil lines, a source of possible leaks. The GS also has an oil cooler (as does the Z06, ZR1 and maybe all C6's do - I don't know) which is another source for oil leaks. OK this is not critical in automobiles but airplanes are another story... I believe that if GM could have made the oil system totally enclosed they would have. There also does not appear to be any reported HP gain from windage with the dry sump.
I recently was looking at a new Z06 with twin turbochargers installed. The two flexible oil lines running from the oil pan to the dry sump reservoir appeared to be very vulnerable to road hazards as they hang below the frame. I have not seen an unmolested - stock - installation to compare.
Do I want a dry sump system in a GS? Hell yes. Just looking at the issues.
Your mileage may vary... Al

Why!

Why are the grand sports convert. the step children of the lot. No dry sump, no hand built engine, with signature, different cranks, what else are we missing out other than no trunk mounted battery. Do we at least get an oil cooler?

The Grand Sport package was set up for SCCA/road racers/track racing. Normally that is not done in a ragtop due to the loss of chassis rigidity versus the Coupe.

Why are the grand sports convert. the step children of the lot. No dry sump, no hand built engine, with signature, different cranks, what else are we missing out other than no trunk mounted battery. Do we at least get an oil cooler?

There are some pros and cons on dry sumps, as I see it. Looking at the video there are several pluses, notably the elimination of oil starvation in high G loads and better air/oil separation. The down side is the complexity and additional weight of it. Dry sumps have been around for a long time in both automobiles and airplanes. They involve a remote fixture with oil lines, a source of possible leaks. The GS also has an oil cooler (as does the Z06, ZR1 and maybe all C6's do - I don't know) which is another source for oil leaks. OK this is not critical in automobiles but airplanes are another story... I believe that if GM could have made the oil system totally enclosed they would have. There also does not appear to be any reported HP gain from windage with the dry sump.
I recently was looking at a new Z06 with twin turbochargers installed. The two flexible oil lines running from the oil pan to the dry sump reservoir appeared to be very vulnerable to road hazards as they hang below the frame. I have not seen an unmolested - stock - installation to compare.
Do I want a dry sump system in a GS? Hell yes. Just looking at the issues.
Your mileage may vary... Al

I just bought a new LS7 Z06 on Memorial Day....I have looked at the TWO oil lines and they are NOT below the frame. They are even (perpen) with bottom of reservoir and bottom of oil pan....no worries that I see....and they DID increase total capacity oil to address the left hand turn starvation problem (no longer a problem) What I do see as potential problem 10 years from now is the bracket that fits onto tank that hold what looks like two wiring harnesses. They look like they could break after a longer period of ownership...I could be looking for problems though....I am COMPLETELY happy with my Z06....don't get me wrong....it's my dream come true!! :)

The Grand Sport package was set up for SCCA/road racers/track racing. Normally that is not done in a ragtop due to the loss of chassis rigidity versus the Coupe.

:upthumbs I just parted with my '09 LS3 Z51 Roadster on Memorial Day....for the weekend warriors who like to go to the track on weekends....they will not allow a Roadster on the track without a SCCA approved roll-bar....and if ya install one of those roll-bars in a vert, well, your NOT gonna have very much space left...at all....I am 6'3.....soooo.....I said this because I believe this is reason why they do not install handbuilt engines with dry-sump in verts....just coupes....:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom