Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Exhaust cuts out in all modes, dealership says "it's fine"

MSgtI

Corvette
2014 Black Stingray Covertabile
OK, I introduced myself knowing I already had issues with my car..decided to wait for the dealership "feedback" to post.. Here goes... I've had the car just over a month. Love it. First Vette, so learning all the working parts. In the settings, turned off the exhaust sound control (matching it with the mode). Here's the deal. When I'm driving normal, not on the throttle, but normal acceleration, midway through 3-4 gear the exhaust just stops making any noise, with a slight "pop".. Foot still on the throttle.. sounds dead silent, if I press the throttle harder, it seems to "turn on". Just noticed it the last few weeks and now I can't NOT pay attention and it bugs me. Then went in for an oil change last week.. Next morning , while accelerating, smoke comes from the exhaust. It's in the dealership the next day (didn't drive it much on purpose). Turns out my Pep Boys location never did a C7 before and overfilled the oil. Dealership says that's what caused the smoking AND the exhaust sound.. but as you ALL know, the exhaust thing was happening before the oil change. So, they just called, said the car was ready, oil drained to proper level, tech took it out, with "no problems at all" and "running fine". I GUARANTEE the exhaust will still be cutting out.. SO.. my questions are.. 1. Is this cutting out just something that they do? 2. If not, should I even bother with taking it back and complaining yet again? 3. How worried should I be about the overfill of oil? In my old cars, it was no big deal if you caught it early, but not sure about later model cars. Thanks in advance everyone!

MSgt I

OK, I introduced myself knowing I already had issues with my car..decided to wait for the dealership "feedback" to post.. Here goes... I've had the car just over a month. Love it. First Vette, so learning all the working parts. In the settings, turned off the exhaust sound control (matching it with the mode). Here's the deal. When I'm driving normal, not on the throttle, but normal acceleration, midway through 3-4 gear the exhaust just stops making any noise, with a slight "pop".. Foot still on the throttle.. sounds dead silent, if I press the throttle harder, it seems to "turn on". Just noticed it the last few weeks and now I can't NOT pay attention and it bugs me. Then went in for an oil change last week.. Next morning , while accelerating, smoke comes from the exhaust. It's in the dealership the next day (didn't drive it much on purpose). Turns out my Pep Boys location never did a C7 before and overfilled the oil. Dealership says that's what caused the smoking AND the exhaust sound.. but as you ALL know, the exhaust thing was happening before the oil change. So, they just called, said the car was ready, oil drained to proper level, tech took it out, with "no problems at all" and "running fine". I GUARANTEE the exhaust will still be cutting out.. SO.. my questions are.. 1. Is this cutting out just something that they do? 2. If not, should I even bother with taking it back and complaining yet again? 3. How worried should I be about the overfill of oil? In my old cars, it was no big deal if you caught it early, but not sure about later model cars. Thanks in advance everyone!

MSgt I

The oil over fill should not be an issue, you seem to have caught it early enough. Pep Boys, really? Enough said I hope.

As far as your setting issue for the exhaust, request to have a tech drive with you to show them what you are talking about, and then have them get in touch with tech line to see if there is a fix. Good luck with it.

The 2014 Exhaust baffle system is unique to the C7 generation. It’s either on, or off vs. 2015 and newer where you have the different modes.

What do you mean by cutting out? Is it a gurgle? Downshifting? Upshifting?

Automatic or manual transmission?

Don’t be worried about the overfill because that’s been taken care of. As long as they cleaned out the intake system, it should be fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom