Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust for 77

irongate

Corvette
1977 Orange Coupe L-48 auto. -stock
Looking for input on replacing exhaust on a 77 with 57k on it?

1. One should I kept it stock = or should it have a wake up to it?

2. What brand have most people been using DynoMax or MagnaFlow ?

Thanks for any input.

I went with Flowmaster when I converted my 77 to true dual exhaust. I kept cats on the system not wanting to run the risk of having getting pulled over and having a cop get a wild hair and citing me. The sound was good with a slight drone at 60-65.

I went with MagnaFlow. Great sound :thumb
80 Vette at Magnaflow.jpg

I'd definitely wake it up a bit and enjoy the sound. Your choice between a true dual system or a high flow cat depends on weather you have emissions inspections in your state. Here in Ohio we can do whatever we want except for a few metro counties that I wouldn't live in anyway.

Tom

There has been some discussion here on whether or not being subject to emissions inspections equate to being allowed to legally remove parts of the system. Under the Federal law, you are not legally allowed to remove any emissions components from your cars. If you aren't having inspections it may not be an issue for you. However, as happened to one member here, you can be pulled over and if the cop elects to look under the car you can be cited for not having them. A small risk, yes, but something you should be aware of.

Just installed a MagnaFlow system yesterday. Perfect sound-just enough to know that it is alive!

There has been some discussion here on whether or not being subject to emissions inspections equate to being allowed to legally remove parts of the system. Under the Federal law, you are not legally allowed to remove any emissions components from your cars. If you aren't having inspections it may not be an issue for you. However, as happened to one member here, you can be pulled over and if the cop elects to look under the car you can be cited for not having them. A small risk, yes, but something you should be aware of.

The Feds really do frown on this, no matter the state laws.

I have long tube headers, and true duels on my 77. Michigan doesn't seem to mess with emissions. I would NOT consent to a cop looking (searching) my car. EVER

The Feds don't have to catch you. The member that was caught here was pulled over by a county sheriff for a routine traffic stop, the sheriff looked under the car and cited her for having removed emission equipment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom