Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Exhaust Manifolds

raybee

Corvette
1981 Dark Bronze 4 Speed
Are the exhaust manifolds stainless steel on 81's? I may need to replace one and just trying to get some facts together prior to the repair.....

Yes, they are stainless. I may have one in the attic. I replaced mine several years ago with ceramic coated. One of the originals had rotted out where the primary tubes come together. I know I threw that one away, but I may still have the other one.

God bless, Sensei

Thanks guys. I may have also learned today that the 81 manifolds are also unique in that the A.I.R. tube points "straight up". And this is the only year manufactured that way ???

I believe that's the case. If you find that you need a pair, I have a set, but don't have the heat shields for them.

I believe that's the case. If you find that you need a pair, I have a set, but don't have the heat shields for them.
Ok, awesome....I won't know for certain until the next week or two if they need to be replaced. I will contact you either way. Thanks, Ray

Thanks guys. I may have also learned today that the 81 manifolds are also unique in that the A.I.R. tube points "straight up". And this is the only year manufactured that way ???

Correct. I looked at the 82 manifolds, they have bigger collectors but the A.I.R. tube point forward or backward not straight up.

Greetings Peter

The '81 manifolds are 1 year only manifold!
they were different in '80 and '82!!!!

Those AIR tubes are awlful...in that they are too long and protrude well into the center of each exhaust outlet. I put a die grinder to mine and made them all flush. Then I ended up taking them both off and putting Hooker Sidepipes on. Oh well, I am ready to go should I ever want to go back to stock.

81 header rework

I just pulled the engine and tranny out of my '81. I am getting rid of the AIR system. I have removed the AIR pipes going into the headers, welding up the holes and re-welding the exterior of the header flanges. I am going to polish and clean up the inside of the headers to help with air flow and the original welds are on the inside. I didn't want to weaken the header when I grind down that interior weld so I'll add one on the outside. once all is complete they are going off to get JetHot coated. I'll post some pics along the way. I'm going to try my hand at rebuilding this BW Super T-10 as well.
Ron

OK, I'll know this week if they are needing to be replaced - you still have them?? Let me know
Thanks, Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom