Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust popping

drsantos

Corvette
1981 Charcoal met, 4-speed
During deceleration I hear popping out of the mufflers, what can be done to eliminate this. The CAT converter has been removed otherwise the exhaust is factory. 1981 4 speed.

My car does the same.The only way is to install a connector pipe,x or H style between the 2 exhaust pipes.There was a discussion on this subject on another post recently.There is a natural tendency in the motor that causes this condition.In my own case I have learned to with it for now.

Dave

"Popping" on over-run is generally caused by excessively lean idle mixture or air being introduced into the exhaust system through a leak somewhere. Chances are the vacuum diaphragm in the diverter valve on your A.I.R. pump has failed; when they fail, the spool valve defaults to the open position, so air from the pump is dumped into the exhaust manifolds all the time, causing over-run "popping". When working normally, the diverter valve is designed to dump air out through the little "muffler" under sudden high-vacuum conditions (like over-run). When the diaphragm fails, it also causes a vacuum leak at the signal hose that feeds it from the carburetor, which causes even more lean mixture problems.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom