Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust Questions

P

parkercoman

i have a 1991 convertible and I was looking at my mufflers and notice that they only have one true outlet.
Question 1: What the heck would happen if someone was to drill out the second or dummy outlet?

Question 2: Would this just make it louder or give it better performance?

Question 3: My Last C4 I put muffler eliminators on it and the sound inside the car was just to much Would it happen if you drilled the muffler out?

Just seems like a simply way to get more from a beautiful car.

Chris

Question 1: What the heck would happen if someone was to drill out the second or dummy outlet?

Some of the early cars came with both holes working ; factory rated them +5 Hp extra ;squint:

If it is to loud drilled out you can always drive some kind of plug into it.

Glenn
:w

I cant believe no one has done this yet

Air limitation on an L98 is on the intake; not the exhaust.

The intake design is based on flow characteristics of a TPI 305 LB9, not a TPI 350 L98. Unless you have some fouling/plugging in the exhaust, it probably won't show too much power increase.

(not like one of these, anyway :D )

flux_capacitor.jpg

i have a 1991 convertible and I was looking at my mufflers and notice that they only have one true outlet.

Question 3: My Last C4 I put muffler eliminators on it and the sound inside the car was just to much Would it happen if you drilled the muffler out?

Chris

I've got a buddy that does some really Nice Custom Stainless work!!:thumb
This is a 90 vert that he done,It's Purdy!!!:D:D:D

The Old............................
attachment.php

The New!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:beer

I've got a buddy that does some really Nice Custom Stainless work!!:thumb
This is a 90 vert that he done,It's Purdy!!!:D:D:D

The Old............................
attachment.php

The New!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:beer

i wonder if i could get one like that with a valve on the left side to shut it off....they always stick the smog probe up the left exhaust pipe....lol

There are electric control valves available. Would need to weld in a couple flanges.

Junk, could you line up that guy to do some work for me ? :D

Glenn

Junk, could you line up that guy to do some work for me ? :D

Glenn
Probly so Glenn,he lives in your neck of the woods and has a Red 90 Vert just exactly like yours!! I mean Exactly!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Custom built my me. One of those is now on my 95 GMC.The other decided I didn't do a good enough job of clamping it and went for a wild ride down the road somewhere.I was going to replace them so didn't bother with going back. Since then have replaced them twice . Finally achieved a muffler that works for me.When I get my hands on a video camera I will be posting on U Tube, or Vette tube. I have a nice deep tone without being to loud.

Glenn

BTW the pipes and mufflers I have now may get sold later this fall. Planning on another build just a little diff.

Custom built my me. One of those is now on my 95 GMC.The other decided I didn't do a good enough job of clamping it and went for a wild ride down the road somewhere.I was going to replace them so didn't bother with going back. Since then have replaced them twice . Finally achieved a muffler that works for me.When I get my hands on a video camera I will be posting on U Tube, or Vette tube. I have a nice deep tone without being to loud.

Glenn

BTW the pipes and mufflers I have now may get sold later this fall. Planning on another build just a little diff.

ok then...you be a weldarr eh..?
so i reckon this muffler is mostly can a less muffle...

Yes I can weld some but actually work as a machinist.
I built the first mufflers round with baffles that split the exhaust then directed it back to the middle , repeating this about three times . It took the crack out but not the sound quality I wanted. The second set I built oval with just a front to rear on one side then back to the front in the middle and to the back on the other side and out.Where it turned I had perforated steal with fiberglass behind it. This was better but still not quite the result I wanted.
the final set I built the same way but wrapped in perforated, then a tight wrap of fiberglass and an outside jacket. This pretty much gave me the result I wanted. The pipes are 3 in OD stainless.

So nope , not just a can. Don't need an echo chamber.

Glenn

Chris

I thought the verts came with the factory exhaust with 2 working outlets. ;shrug

Glenn-
Ever check the flow of your mufflers? Oh and nice to see that I am not the only one running a custom 3" system.

Glenn-
Ever check the flow of your mufflers? Oh and nice to see that I am not the only one running a custom 3" system.

I haven't yet. I plan on welding a fitting on to do that in the future. I might actually have a fair amount of back pressure, but not like the stocks.
The 3 in from cat back with straight pipes is actually quieter than the stock pipes with straight pipes in place of mufflers. ;shrug
But either way the straight pipes are way to loud..
They are 3 in because that is what was available, for 10 cents a lb.:D

Glenn

I haven't yet. I plan on welding a fitting on to do that in the future. I might actually have a fair amount of back pressure, but not like the stocks.
The 3 in from cat back with straight pipes is actually quieter than the stock pipes with straight pipes in place of mufflers. ;shrug
But either way the straight pipes are way to loud..
They are 3 in because that is what was available, for 10 cents a lb.:D

Glenn

I have straight pipes, and it is loud on the inside. But it sounds so good on the outside at WOT! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom