Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust System Problem

Barrier

Corvette
1993 Convertible 1999 FRC Pewter sold
I have not been here for a while but I have a question.
I was about to go for a drive today when I notice my right side pipes were lower then the left. I reached under and found the Flange connecting to the Muffler pipe broken off and still attached to the Muffler pipe. I did a search and found that this is common. My car is a '99 FRC with a set of ZO6 mufflers. When I bought the Mufflers I also got the whole set of pipes with the Cats I think they were from a 2002 (there are no pre cats).
I eyeballed the system and it looks as if it will bolt in.
My questions are: The center section removal looks pretty straight forward but will it come out as easy as it looks?
Will this section fit or will I have to remove the old one to find out.
Are there gaskets used on the manifold to engine pipe side?
I guess my GM Extended does not cover this.
Thanks in advance!
Barrier

I have not been here for a while but I have a question.
I was about to go for a drive today when I notice my right side pipes were lower then the left. I reached under and found the Flange connecting to the Muffler pipe broken off and still attached to the Muffler pipe. I did a search and found that this is common. My car is a '99 FRC with a set of ZO6 mufflers. When I bought the Mufflers I also got the whole set of pipes with the Cats I think they were from a 2002 (there are no pre cats).
I eyeballed the system and it looks as if it will bolt in.
My questions are: The center section removal looks pretty straight forward but will it come out as easy as it looks?
Will this section fit or will I have to remove the old one to find out.
Are there gaskets used on the manifold to engine pipe side?
I guess my GM Extended does not cover this.
Thanks in advance!
Barrier
Yes, it will fit right under there!! You'll need the 2 flange gaskets at the rear,and it's not a hard job!!:upthumbs

Is there a Difference in the 1999 H pipe compared to later models? Someone said the pipe was changed after 1999 and a later one will not fit???
Is there any longevity problem with welding up the old Flange? Any special requirements? Anyone have an idea on price if I remove the pipe?
Barrier

Well I removed the Pipes Today and tried to match up the '02 Z06 pipe I had. Does not fit, the front connections do not match the angles and length are wrong.
I had the original welded the broken one as well as the other side which had started to crack. Cost $20, no problem. I guess I will be selling the 'O2 Z06 pipe I have.
Biggest problem was the O2 sensors connection, working on ramps is no fun did it with feel and mirrors.
I just hope the welded ones hold up!
Barrier

I did take it off and bring it in. As for the rotation I did that before they welded it. I'm pretty sure I got it right but I'll know when I install it.
Barrier

So - is the H pipe is aluminized mild steel or stainless steel? - I have just found a broken rear flange on my 99 - the weld has come away from the pipe all the way around and clean - looks to be a cold joint weld, clean as it came off - after doin some research, I have found that this is fairly common - I'm sure glad their not welding NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS - looks like I'll be doin some wrenching on the weekend - D.

Is there a Difference in the 1999 H pipe compared to later models? Someone said the pipe was changed after 1999 and a later one will not fit???
Is there any longevity problem with welding up the old Flange? Any special requirements? Anyone have an idea on price if I remove the pipe?
Barrier
You can , as the proverbial saying goes , kill two birds with one stone here. Get rid of that rediculous H pipe and replace it with an aftermarket X pipe. This will result in better performance , better sound , and new flanges to bolt your axle back system to!

So - is the H pipe is aluminized mild steel or stainless steel? - I have just found a broken rear flange on my 99 - the weld has come away from the pipe all the way around and clean - looks to be a cold joint weld, clean as it came off - after doin some research, I have found that this is fairly common - I'm sure glad their not welding NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS - looks like I'll be doin some wrenching on the weekend - D.
Yes it is Stainless steel. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom