Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust tips

lagnaf

Corvette
1973 pearl white roadster
I just purchased 2 1/2" chambered exhaust for my C3 and ordered some 2 1/2" tips from a web site I'm not inclined to mention at the moment. Long story short, the web site is stalling me with my order it seems. I shopped for quite a while looking for '73 tips that were 2 1/2". They seem to be hard to come by. Anyone know where I can find the tips I'm looking for?

Chambered Exhaust!

I like the sound of the chambered undercar exhaust, I went to a local shop and got the SS tips installed for $30.00 each. Sounds good and looks good! PG.

Yup - no such thing as 2-1/2" muffler outlets on Corvettes - all were 2" (unless some aftermarket outfit makes 2-1/2" tips).

:beer

Putting 2" extensions on 2 1/2" exhaust makes the exhaust 2" exhaust.

Restricted exhaust flow!

I'm pretty sure that where the exhaust pipes connect to the cast iron manifold it's only 2 inches there too.
I've heard that chambered exhaust is more restrictive than regular mufflers, is that true? PG.

Try corvettecentral.com they have both. Or Ecklers.com You got a 454?
"Jeff"

I'm running headers and the collector isn't 2".

Putting 2" extensions on 2 1/2" exhaust makes the exhaust 2" exhaust.

Not really. Exhaust gases cool very rapidly, and by the time they reach the muffler, their velocity and density is WAY down; 2" outlets don't present a significant restriction at all.

:beer

Contact Allens. I ordered my chambered system for my 73 from them and it came with the 2 1/2" correct tips. They told me they also now make the systems sold by Mid America.

Ralph. :beer

Allens?

Not really. Exhaust gases cool very rapidly, and by the time they reach the muffler, their velocity and density is WAY down; 2" outlets don't present a significant restriction at all.:beer

John, this is a little known fact! Took me years to find an exhaust man to tell me that secret.

SAVE THE :w

I meant "correct" in the tip shape and the entry point in the certer of the tips vs offset to one side like the others of this vintage.

Allens Stainless Exhausts, 574-722-7272, email exhaustdr@cpc.com.

They are good guys and my system fit perfectly without a trip to the muffler shop.

Ralph. :beer

you looking for something like this?

hed-17190_w.jpg

largeimage.asp

I have the dual chambered exhaust installed and I couldn't be more happy with the outcome. I can't imagine that anyone would think that chambered exhaust would be restrictive. It's really just a straight pipe with the chambers on the outer walls of the pipe.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom