Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Expansion Tank Problem

B

Big "O"

I have replaced the radiator expansion tank twice on my 79. The problem is that they both developed a swelling due to, I assume, heat from the antifreeze on the inlet/outlet tube. Am I the only one having this problem? Can someone recommend a more reliable product? :confused

Hmmm, there have been numerous posts on this forum about cooling, radiators, fans, etc. I personally haven't had your specific problem, but I'd suggest doing a search on 'radiator' AND 'cooling' and whatever other keywords you feel are appropriate. There's lots of great info for us vette owners here...

Questions

I'm not familiar with later years, so I'm guessing that the expansion tank is made of plastic. Did you notice an increase in fluid loss before the expansion tank problems? The radiator has the cap on it, so has that been checked for proper pressure holding? How's the engine temperature reading?

--Bullitt

Bullit, thanks for the reply. My temp goes up past 220 with the AC on. When I turn it off it goes under 220 to around 200-210. I don't beleive the plastic expansion tank should melt at these temps anyway. I'll check the cap, but I feel I'll have to do some AC work.

Thanks,
The BIG "O"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom