Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Expensive oil change!

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]=========================================================
Wow...isn't the break-in period the first 500 miles? So why did you wait 100 miles more to change the oil?...where did you get the number 600 for changing for the 1st time?...why not 700 or 800 or 1500 since 3000 miles would be the usual number and even more with synthetic oil? My my DIC still reads 91% and I now have 1050 miles on the clock. I know you are going to say that during the first 500 miles that there is "new enging metal shavings" produced, but wont the oil filter catch these?...I'm really confused...Help me out and give me your rationalization for changing synthetic oil at 600 miles...put my mind at ease...Thanks....:) :beer
And btw...I'm not worried about the money part of changing oil...Its a Vette...:L[/QUOTE]Well...it was ~600 because that's when I could get in for an oil change. It is really up to the owner when they want to make the first oil change. I just decided to change mine shortly after the break-in period. It had nothing at all to do with the TYPE of oil in my car, just that it had passed the break-in period and I wanted to change it. You can change it any time you wish. You can do as the oil life monitor says or do it by mileage and disregard the oil life monitor.

Edmond said:
It's hard for this Midwester boy to believe too! :(

I thought the average was in the $50 neighborhood for the C5 oil changes since they run synthetic.
Usually around here in IL it's 65-85 at most dealers from what I have heard.. I usually charge 50-55 to do a c5 or c4 w/ synthetic..
-=Rick

yellow_2002_germany said:
Well...it was ~600 because that's when I could get in for an oil change. It is really up to the owner when they want to make the first oil change. I just decided to change mine shortly after the break-in period. It had nothing at all to do with the TYPE of oil in my car, just that it had passed the break-in period and I wanted to change it. You can change it any time you wish. You can do as the oil life monitor says or do it by mileage and disregard the oil life monitor.

:confused ...um ...OK..............................................thanks.....:eyerole

BlackNBlue95 said:
This makes me feel bad as a technician.. from my side of the table it seems there are alot of techs out there that do care about their quality of work. And do respect customer cars. Accidents do happen, most times because techs are in a hurry because they want to make a decent living and the only way possible is to rush their work to beat a book time so they can book more hours and make comission this is how most dealers operate. It's not an easy career and is a challange to make decent wages in. People don't want to pay to have their cars fixed at least not enough to produce qaulity. there for shops dealers and independents much pinch pennies wich results in lower quality of workman ship... less pay for book hour, and then we must book more hours to make money and there for we rush to get the job done and in haste accidents happen things get over looked ect.. so I feel bad you feel this way.. this is my basis for reasoning what goes on beyond the waiting room.. most techs do care, there just in a hurry... I believe in quality workmanship and justified pay scale.. it's like being a doctor....
-=Rick

I can understand just about everything you say and I agree with your feelings except for this one..."it's like being a doctor...."..thats going way too far...a doctor goes through 4 years college, 3 years medical school, 2 years residency and another year for internship(at least)...so thats at least 10 years of schooling...where does any mechanic on earth go for schooling to learn to be a mechanic for that long?...Maybe you meant some other comparison like a tree doctor or a winshield doctor,or a lawn doctor, etc...but not a "real medicine doctor"...that would be rediculous.....:L :beer

Yeah but Doctors are always "Practicing Medicine". ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

cruzer82 said:
Yeah but Doctors are always "Practicing Medicine". ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

...yea and practice makes perfect...just wish some doctors and mechanics would stop "practicing" and get it right...:L

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]...yea and practice makes perfect...just wish some doctors and mechanics would stop "practicing" and get it right...:L[/QUOTE]The best thing you can do for your new vette engine is to let the first oil change go until the oil is good and dark(not black and thick), the reasoning around this is that this helps the engine break in better, IF you change your oil at say 600 -1000 miles of use your are washing away the very thing you want to help break the engine in with,i.e. silicon,aluminun,iron copper,etc. And this can lead to an engine that will start using oil because the rings have not had a chance to seat in against the cylinder bores, yes what i am saying is that you want to protect your investment but changing the oil this soon is just defeating your purpose.

Edmond said:
It's hard for this Midwester boy to believe too! :(

I thought the average was in the $50 neighborhood for the C5 oil changes since they run synthetic.
Just to be sure, I checked the service ticket from the oil change I had performed last Friday at the dealer where I bought my C5s. Sure 'nuff, the ticket says they put in, just like I told 'em, Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and filter for the rock bottom price of.....hold onto your seats....$22.95 before tax. That's right folks, $22.95. This service is obviously a customer courtesy because they can't be making much money from it. But, ain't it great to be alive and livin' in Tennessee!

Cessna172M said:
The best thing you can do for your new vette engine is to let the first oil change go until the oil is good and dark(not black and thick), the reasoning around this is that this helps the engine break in better, IF you change your oil at say 600 -1000 miles of use your are washing away the very thing you want to help break the engine in with,i.e. silicon,aluminun,iron copper,etc. And this can lead to an engine that will start using oil because the rings have not had a chance to seat in against the cylinder bores, yes what i am saying is that you want to protect your investment but changing the oil this soon is just defeating your purpose.
Doesnt GM "Run in" the LSI before its installed in the car? According to my owners manual for my 99, the break in is more for the brakes and other systems (trans) than for the engine.

Regards to cars and political candidates, they are the same. Everyone has their opinion of them.
Change the oil. Dont change the oil. Use A wax. Use B wax.
When I lift my arm hi it hurts. DON"T do it.
Thanks to the system there are only two politicans.
Cars have multiple avenues.

One manufacture posted with directiions.
Please! ''Try it our way first''.

Read the manual.

A local young lady received a new car. She read the manual cover to cover.
Never heard of anyone doing it, but I'm sure some have.

Have a nice day.

I have been running Mobil 1 in all of my vechicles for years. I run 5000 miles change the filter and add a quart. Run another 5000 miles and change it.

My 95 chevy pick up had over 275,000 miles when I bought my new one and never had any engine work done on it.................

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]:confused ...um ...OK..............................................thanks.....:eyerole[/QUOTE]
The directions this thread is taking is beginning to concern me.

We're beating up on folks for changing the oil at the end of the break-in period, even if they miss it by 100 miles or so? We're debating whether it's appropriate to change the oil at all at the end of a break-in period? We're beating up on mechanics because they use an analogy of trying to be as careful at their craft as doctors, simply because the analogy breaks down if you take a look at the highest level of education attained?

If the best this thread can do is fall off into bickering about whether it's appropriate to change oil at the break-in period or not, I think it's probably gone beyond its useful life.

:(
-Patrick

CORed91 said:
The directions this thread is taking is beginning to concern me.

We're beating up on folks for changing the oil at the end of the break-in period, even if they miss it by 100 miles or so? We're debating whether it's appropriate to change the oil at all at the end of a break-in period? We're beating up on mechanics because they use an analogy of trying to be as careful at their craft as doctors, simply because the analogy breaks down if you take a look at the highest level of education attained?

If the best this thread can do is fall off into bickering about whether it's appropriate to change oil at the break-in period or not, I think it's probably gone beyond its useful life.

:(
-Patrick
BUT- what if you run Mobil 1 and have a 160 degree thermostat............
Sorry Patrick, I couldnt resist.

Cessna172M said:
The best thing you can do for your new vette engine is to let the first oil change go until the oil is good and dark(not black and thick), the reasoning around this is that this helps the engine break in better, IF you change your oil at say 600 -1000 miles of use your are washing away the very thing you want to help break the engine in with,i.e. silicon,aluminun,iron copper,etc. And this can lead to an engine that will start using oil because the rings have not had a chance to seat in against the cylinder bores, yes what i am saying is that you want to protect your investment but changing the oil this soon is just defeating your purpose.
That was an excellent and informative post if correct...I personally think it is correct because I have heard the same thing from some really experienced engine builders that I have talked with...I am going with what you say and wait for a while to let the rings seat like you said..then change oil...thanks for the heads up...glad I waited to see your post.......:upthumbs :beer

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]I can understand just about everything you say and I agree with your feelings except for this one..."it's like being a doctor...."..thats going way too far...a doctor goes through 4 years college, 3 years medical school, 2 years residency and another year for internship(at least)...so thats at least 10 years of schooling...where does any mechanic on earth go for schooling to learn to be a mechanic for that long?...Maybe you meant some other comparison like a tree doctor or a winshield doctor,or a lawn doctor, etc...but not a "real medicine doctor"...that would be rediculous.....:L :beer[/QUOTE]Actually, I would say that over a lifetime, a continuously certified ASE Master Tech spends more time in a book than a medical doctor. Every year, for the past 30+ years, my mechanic has taken his tests. Everytime some new technology comes out, he studies it, then takes his test. Think about the technologies that have emerged just in the last 10 years. 20 years. 30 years! I'm not trying to intentionally slam you here, but judging by your questions, you probably don't fully realize the curriculum involved in getting a Master ASE certification.
Being a newbie tech in the workforce is one of the worst jobs to have. They get served all the 5hit jobs and have to bust their arse to get the job done by the 'book' time before they are on their own dime doing the job.
Not that you'll likely ever have the opportunity, but if you could ever spend a day or week with a real mechanic working on some difficult jobs (the kinds that require HOURS of work), you'll have a new respect for him. I still don't know how my mechanic gets up everyday. I'm no lazy slacker, but he's pretty much twice my age and almost runs circles when it comes to banging out a difficult job.

If you knew what I know (which is fractional compared to mechanics), you'd understand why almost any good mechanic worth his wrenches is AA. (Yes, that AA)

Sorry for your troubles and I hope all goes well for you. I gringe any time I have to bring my car to a dealer for repairs. But I also let the service wrighter know I want perfection only.We put up a no smoking sign in the ait tray,I cover the seats with a sheat,I cover the steering wheel with a plastic clear cover and we put towels on the floors.

I do all that in hopes that the mecanic (actually with the caliber of people the dealer now higher I should say "PARTS CHANGER") realize that we care for our car. I also wash the car prior to going in and when the service wrighter is looking at the vechicle I show them that there is NOT ONE scratch or dent on the car.

Oil changes are quick and easey to do.You may want to try the next one your self.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Larry

Evolution1980 said:
Actually, I would say that over a lifetime, a continuously certified ASE Master Tech spends more time in a book than a medical doctor. Every year, for the past 30+ years, my mechanic has taken his tests. Everytime some new technology comes out, he studies it, then takes his test. Think about the technologies that have emerged just in the last 10 years. 20 years. 30 years!

If you knew what I know (which is fractional compared to mechanics), you'd understand why almost any mechanic worth his wrenches is AA. (Yes, that AA)

I agree that the advancements in technology have made mechanics go back and get certified. With OBDII as an example, there are probably some small shops that don't have the equipment to work on those cars. I know someone who doesn't, he's a friend of my father's. Last I heard, he was still in business; though he wasn't a very good mechanic.

I would just add something to the last part of your quote. I would just add the word good in between any and mechanic. :D

Edmond said:
I would just add something to the last part of your quote. I would just add the word good in between any and mechanic. :D
Correct and done! :)

IH2LOSE said:
Sorry for your troubles and I hope all goes well for you. I gringe any time I have to bring my car to a dealer for repairs. But I also let the service wrighter know I want perfection only.We put up a no smoking sign in the ait tray,I cover the seats with a sheat,I cover the steering wheel with a plastic clear cover and we put towels on the floors.

I do all that in hopes that the mecanic (actually with the caliber of people the dealer now higher I should say "PARTS CHANGER") realize that we care for our car. I also wash the car prior to going in and when the service wrighter is looking at the vechicle I show them that there is NOT ONE scratch or dent on the car.

Oil changes are quick and easey to do.You may want to try the next one your self.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Larry

:upthumbs :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom