Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Experienced opinion needed

Corvette
63 Resto Coupe-Red 65 Roadster
Has anyone had any experience in installing a hydraulic clutch, and throw out bearing in our mid-years, when using a big block. I am seriously considering installing one in my current 572 project, and must confess that I have not even seen this type of setup before. :ugh

I would like the benefit of something that would be easier on the left leg, and give me some additional space in the engine compartment for the monster block, and it's accessories.

Stepinwolf

Bob,

We used one from McLeod in the 67 with the 502. I went that route because that engine didn't have the "Z" bar boss in the right place on the engine for the mechanical linkage. We had to fabricate a support brace for the master (to strengthen the firewall) and the clutch rod. Frankly, I'm not sure the peddle pressure was all that much easier than with the mechanical setup - depending on the clutch/pressure plate you use. If I had to do it again, I would probably stick with the stock linkage which would be easier to install and maintain.

There may be a source with a different setup now but that was our experience with the McLeod.

Rich Lagasse

I believe you may get some relief from a hydraulic clutch there are internal and external setups . I think the internal would be harder to service because the trans would have to be removed if you had a leak,the throw out bearing and cylinder mount on the support shaft the other set up is all external like on the C4. I could be wrong about this but with a hydraulic set-up you may be limited to the amount of spring pressure in the pressure plate? just my 2 cents Steve

I don't have any experience with hydraulic clutches in a big block or with C2's, but I installed one on my '62, with a 350 Ram Jet and a T56 6 speed. I used a master cylinder from an '84 corvette and an external slave cylinder made by a company named CNC ( bought it from a local NASCAR supply house).

What Rich said about reinforcing the firewall is certainly true. I tried mine on the bare fiberglass at first and quickly determined that a reinforcment plate was necessary. Don't know about the internal type, but you can get slaves in various diameters and also change the "push" point on the pedal to adjust (somewhat) the pedal pressure. Of course you have to remember that you are trading shorter length of pedal travel for less pedal pressure.

Charles

I have a McLeod internal one in my 55 chevy. It works great and has a very fast action. Almost to fast for a street car. The pedal pressure is about the same as the stock linkage. I used a wilwood master and slave. I bought the whole setup from McLeod. One problem I do have is the res. always leaked from day one. Slow but enough to ruin paint where it dripped on my frame.I also agree that on a vette it would need some reinforcing of the firewall. Brian G.

We use the Tilton hydraulic throwout bearing in the Viper, and have since 1992. The bearing comes to the plant pre-bled with its two braided lines, the master cylinder with its two lines also comes pre-bled, and we just plug the quick-connect fittings on the lines together after engine drop - no bleeding required. Big LuK 12" diaphragm clutch, relatively low pedal pressure. :)

Next year we're using a twin-disc LuK clutch, as we have to harness 600hp and 560 ft-lbs. of torque. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom