Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

extended warrantys

• Thread starter Thread starter flander
  • Start date Start date
F

flander

in process of buying my 1st vette. 2000 vert. 55,000 miles. does anyone have experience in extended warrantys? warranty center seems to have the best deal. any advice would be appreciated.

flander,
First, welcome to the CAC!
I take it you're thinking about buying an extended warranty?

Check out this thread. There's a lot of good discussion about it.

(I moved your post over to the C5 General Discussion).

Tammy

I'm going to forward to you a PM (private message) that I received that contains prices from fichtnerchevrolet.

Several members have found that pricing competitive. You should contact them for an actual quote.

contact ken at kenfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com for the best price on GM extended warranty

You basically pick from a vast array of combinations of miles/years/deductible that suits you best.

Since I don't put many miles on mine, I'll probably pick a long-term but low-miles warranty with a low deductible, when my factory warranty runs out in April.

Tammy

I have the GMPP on my used 2000 convertible, paid for itself the first time back to the dealer; new window regulator & leaking L/S differential seal. Agreeing with Ms. Schroder on cheking Ken for pricing. I bought mine from my local dealer and got a fair price, but always best to know Ken's price first. Good luck & enjoy.

Bruce

Before You Buy A Contract....

My very good buddy works as a claims adjuster for a leading provider. His advice to all is READ THE FINE PRINT!!! Make sure you understand exactly what is covered... sometimes suspension components, electrical, and other major items are not covered in these contracts.

For those who experience mechanical problems to such an extent that the repairs exceed the cost of insurance, third party insurance is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For the majority, paying that insurance premium is what keeps the insurance companies in business (read profit).
As a rule of thumb, keep your insurance money in your own pocket and pay for your repairs yourself.

Keep in mind that I am not anti-insurance...I have life, auto, house, EI, extended health well covered. But the difference here is that these life events can be catastrophic. A leaking valve cover gasket is not.
You are better served by not taking the extended warranty.

I never thought the day would come that I would buy a policy for the car. It was money well spent. The policy on the Vette has paid for itself and it's cost, from Ken Fichner, was half of what the local dealer wanted. It is the GMPP from GM. IMHO extended warranty's are worthless except for auto's and plasma tv's.

GM only!!!!!!!!!!

HI

I have found through my years of car ownership is that the best kind of coverage is always from the car company and not the third party deals.

That's my two cents.

Alan

p.s. The vette is not a fragile vehicle but things happen and they are not cheap to correct.

flander said:
in process of buying my 1st vette. 2000 vert. 55,000 miles. does anyone have experience in extended warrantys? warranty center seems to have the best deal. any advice would be appreciated.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but I think the cutoff line is 50,000 miles to get an extended warranty...thats what I have been told by 3 warranty companies anyway...:( ......................good luck:w

50,000mile Cutoff????????

Hi

If you buy a used vette from a Chevy dealership, they can get you an extended warranty through GM depending on the year.

The other warranty companies all have different rules as far as mileage and if they do offer an extended warranty it is very limited with a large deduct.

Now l have to admit that l do not know anybody who purchased a used vette over 3yrs old that has an extended warranty even though they have a lot less then 50,000 miles. The cost could be the reason!

One of the first things that l would advise anyone who buys a late model vette is to first check to see if they can transfer the GM warranty into their name.

The cost is minimal and then it will allow you to be eligible to get a letter from GM offerring an extended warranty at a competitive rate.

Alan

I bought a 97 with 84,000 miles on it in Sep. I got a warranty with no miles limit and 4 years for approx $1600.

I just had the tranny (auto) replaced with a new GM 3 year 50,000 mile warranty one and it cost me about $500. The tranny alone was $2100. Just read all the fine print when you buy a ext. warranty.

Just my 2 cents worth. I wasn't about to invest 18K and not get a little insurance for my piece of mind.

Look at what it just saved me.

Granted the chevy dealer said this was the first automatic they had ever replaced.

Keep in mind that there are basicly two types of extended warranties. One will list all the items that are covered in the policy. The other will list the items that are not covered. In the first if it is not listed then it is not covered. In the second, unless it is listed as not covered then it is covered. Me, I would perfer the second type. Would rather know what was excluded and that everything else is covered.

Believe that the GMPP is of the first type, lists the items that are covered, everything else is not covered.

tom...

Tom73 said:
Keep in mind that there are basicly two types of extended warranties. One will list all the items that are covered in the policy. The other will list the items that are not covered. In the first if it is not listed then it is not covered. In the second, unless it is listed as not covered then it is covered. Me, I would perfer the second type. Would rather know what was excluded and that everything else is covered.

Believe that the GMPP is of the first type, lists the items that are covered, everything else is not covered.

tom...
I agree...my "Warranty Direct" 7yr/60,000 mile extended warranty lists what is excluded and everything else is covered......:D :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom