Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

F45 vrs F51 suspension options??

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Had the F45 Selective Ride Control option in my 96 CE and now looking at other 96's with the F51 option. What are the opinions as to which is the one to have? I do not plan on doing any auto X'ing...just normal driving.

Also, has anyone used the VBP Sport springs, sort of like the factory F51 springs? Good, bad...???

Thanks,
LannyL81

Make that Z51 suspension......

LannyL81 said:
Had the F45 Selective Ride Control option in my 96 CE and now looking at other 96's with the F51 option. What are the opinions as to which is the one to have? I do not plan on doing any auto X'ing...just normal driving.

Also, has anyone used the VBP Sport springs, sort of like the factory F51 springs? Good, bad...???

Thanks,
LannyL81

Am I missing something? Did you sell the CE LT4?

BTW...I think you mean Z51.

If you mean Z51, it would be okay as a daily driver. By 96, the Z51 was a lot mellower than the early Z51 cars. My wife owned a 96 CE LT4 Z51 car for 3 years and loved it.

JEFNLSA said:
Am I missing something? Did you sell the CE LT4?

BTW...I think you mean Z51.

No you did not miss anything....yes I sold the CE LT4.....dumb, dumb, dumb thing to do. Thought I wanted a C5, may be even a Z06...until I drove one. Not worth the additional $15k, seats are crap and road feel was just not there...I want my 96 CE back!!!!!

And yes I meant Z51...gotta put my glasses on....now where did I put them????

LannyL81

LannyL81 said:
No you did not miss anything....yes I sold the CE LT4.....dumb, dumb, dumb thing to do. Thought I wanted a C5, may be even a Z06...until I drove one. Not worth the additional $15k, seats are crap and road feel was just not there...I want my 96 CE back!!!!!

LannyL81

Sorry about your loss...:cry

Did you drive a ZO6 or a standard C5. Although I've never driven one, I gotta believe the ZO6 drives a bit different than an LS1 Vette. Seats might be different too, not sure...

When I do "step up", the ZO6 is next on my list. Or maybe not...

Not to rub it in BUT I'm not sellin' mine until I've found the "worthy" replacement. I've been bitten and there's no cure. I'm sure you had your reasons for selling. Keep in mind, lots of nice LT4's (or C4's in general) still around so the CE can be replaced with a "worthy" contender.

If you haven't driven a ZO6, drive one and let us know what you think.

Cya,
Jeff

LannyL81 said:

LannyL81

I agree... there is something about the C5 that screams cadillac.. not corvette. the seats are almost bench like, and the feel is just no like a C4.

As far as Z51 vs F45... for max ride quality, F45 is good. for the best feel and performance, Z51 is good. Z51 is also good for easy maintenance. F45 (and the older FX3) can be very costly for maintenance when things break. Something to think about if you want to keep the car for a long time.

Yeah, I would stay away from the F45. My '89 Ebay rat came with worn out FX3 shocks, and I had planned all along if I got an FX3 with issues, or something went wrong later, to simply disconnect the system and replace the shocks with non-FX3 units. I kept everything, so at some time may try it out, but probably not as I am delighted with how things are now. The F45/FX3 stuff is ludicrously expensive, most people are not impressed by it as it either seems too soft or too harsh, and the Bilstein people wouldn't even return several of my calls for information on the system. If you come across a F45 that you like, though, keep in mind that you can simply disconnect the system if it gives you problems and get Z51 or other shocks---there's no need to reject the entire car.

I also know what you mean about C4s vs. C5s. I was really disappointed with the "feel" of the C5s I drove several years ago, yet when I got in a rather down C4 6-spd that was for sale, I instantly liked it---the difference is that the C5 is way too refined, whereas the C4 still has a go-kart "edge" to it---it's still a boy racer .

/s/ Chris Kennedy

If you haven't driven a ZO6, drive one and let us know what you think.

Cya,
Jeff[/quote]

Jeff,
I drove two 2002's...an auto and then a Z06. Was not ever interested in the auto....just drove it find out what the "feel" of the car was like. It was the Z06 that I was really disappointed in as far as the ride. The seats were alot like my 95 Blazer and hated the clutch....very soft pedal...only about 1.5" of travel was needed. It was the kind of clutch that required one to keep their heel on the floor and just use your toes. Probably very nice, once you got use to it. But those seats....I was expecting a lot more performance for the additional $15k over the price of my 96 CE LT4...and it just was not there.

So I am going to be up in Phoenix this Sat and looking at replacing my 96 CE...have four cars to look at...none of them have the F45...one has the Z51 and another one has the sport springs from VBP and Bilstein shocks.

Prices still seem high to me so I may end up waiting for one that I can get at my price.

Later,
Lanny

Guess I need to drive a ZO6 then...

I was hoping that was the next car for me, maybe not...

Happy hunting Lanny! :beer

As someone who has modified both cars, the C5 is easier to get power out and prolly has more mechanical grip in the suspension. However, I never did feel as connected to the C5 as I did a C4. The C4 you are more connected/in the car and IMO get more feedback while driving.

My C5 started as a FRC which comes with Z51 suspension. I added Z06 springs, swaybar, and 04 shocks all which were take off items from Phoenix Racing which builds T1 race cars. I also added the forged 01 Z06 wheels. Ported heads and a cam with full exhuast were added for 436 rwhp/415 rwtq. The car was very quick and still managed 30mpg dring from Atlanta to Bowling and on another trip to Orlando.

Both car have there strong points. I've sold the C5 and in a couple fo years maybe I'll get in another C4 or C5. I really like how a C4 feels but it is a matter of individual taste. I just never connected with the C5 in the way I did with the C4 but I know others that went from a C4 to a C5 and love the C5.

The Z51 suspension on a 96 is very close to the 93-95 FE1 (base) suspension in spring rates and sway bars. My 93 I added Koni Single adjust shocks to the FE1 suspension and was very pleased. The car had plenty of grip and yet still fine for a long cruise. In tight turns/trail braking I liked the C4 better than the C5 but the C5 had the edge in long sweepers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom