Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

factory replacement LT5?

Corvette
1966 blue,1990ZR1
ive been looking at an LT5 engine and trans that are for sale locally.the guy is telling me that this was a factory replacement LT5 and trans. that the dealer had replaced the original LT5 engine and trans under warranty at one point during the cars lifespan....the engine and trans do not have the serial numbers of the vehicle stamped into either part......is there some way to determine if these were replaced over the counter at a gm dealer?? certain serial number or engine trans codes???

First off everything is replacable under waranty
I know from my LT5 training tapes (the ones that certified a LT5 mech) that when a motor was suspected of having problems it was to be taken out of the car and sent back to GM so they could tear it down and inspect it, the car would then be given a fresh crate LT5 motor as a replacement and the vin would not have been stamped into the motor or tranny for that mater if they were replaced under warenty, The engine may not have vin info on the Rh rear lip the edge that runs up the firewall thats where it would be, But it should have the build information stamped above the oil pan on both sides get that info and you can figure out what year the motor is. Hell it might be a 93 and up motor!

is the tranny a blue label or black label? it should also have stamped info on the label as to when it was manufactured.

what is the asking price for them?

and dont you already have a extra motor and tranny from the 91? :D

johnny

the trans has a black tag...whats the difference between the 90-92 and the 93 up? i live in an economically depressed area...people are just giving stuff away so they can pay bills,eat etc...you wouldnt believe the stuff around here and the prices......you would cry if i told you!!! yes i have some 90-91 zr1 stuff and i intend to keep gettin more at these bargain prices!!! haha

jenavet said:
the trans has a black tag...whats the difference between the 90-92 and the 93 up? i live in an economically depressed area...people are just giving stuff away so they can pay bills,eat etc...you wouldnt believe the stuff around here and the prices......you would cry if i told you!!! yes i have some 90-91 zr1 stuff and i intend to keep gettin more at these bargain prices!!! haha
well the Last LT5 I bought I paid $3750 for it. It also came with a trany which I sold for $2500 that was before the trannys hit the market this year.

anyway about the black tag that is a early trany gears are cut different and that makes them noisy, the blue ones that were on the later cars are quite thats the difference oh and I the black ones can handle more load on them.

so what are you paying for that motor and tranny?

If you part one out I need the plenum and Injector housings!

johnny

you bought a complete lt5 with tranny for 3750.00?? find it hard to believe...the lt1 and ls1 motors are selling for just about that...you get better deals than i can for sure

I guess I wrote that wrong.
After I sold the tranny for the $2500 what I ended up paying for the LT5 was 3750

I paid $6250 for the motor and tranny

johnny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom