Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fan Belts - 77 Vette

yorkbeachbum

Corvette
1977 Black Coupe
Hi Everyone,

Time to relace belts and flush cooling system. Before I get started I would like to go out and buy supplies, thermostat, hoses, etc. Thought about the belts and discovered (and remembered) that I have what I believe is a water pump drive belt. This is a small belt that rides the crank pulley and the water pump pulley only. I know it needs replacement for it is a little loose and is original. Would like to know the best way to remove and reinstall. It doesn't look like it would be too tough to install, but is there an adjustment? if so...what is the procedure?

Thanks,
Yorkbeachbum (John)

John,

I don't think your talking about your water pump as there would be no adjustment. It is bolted to the front of the block. Are you possibly talking about your air pump? If so the pump hinges and is adjustable. The water pump has your fan mounted to it if that helps clear things up any.

DDL-81,

Thanks for your reply...I do realize the water pump is non-adjustable and there is no AC nor any air pumps. I should have mentioned this is a stock L48. Here is an attached drawing of what I have. Maybe I have to remove the water pump pulley, wrap the belt onto the pulley, then re-bolt the pulley to the water pump?

Thanks
John

OOPS!

Hi Dale, Sorry that the attachment didn't show up. I'll try a resend with this message. If the attachment doesn't make it...

The water pump pulley has 2 tracks and the crankshaft pulley has 3. The alternator belt rides on the alternator, the water pump, and the crankshaft pulleys. The power steering belt rides on the power steering pump and the crankshaft pulleys. The belt in question rides between the water pump and the crankshaft pulleys. I guess the intent is if either belt breaks (alternator or power steering) the water pump will still work?
What do you think?

John

I don't remember this belt on my 77. I'll have to take a look tonight. When I replaced my water pump I don't remember having to reinstall such a belt.

I'll try to remember to look tonight.

Russ

Russ and Dale,

I called Cherolet dealer parts dept today...special order for the belt. It seems that my L48 and some L82's without AC & no air pumps use the three belts. Alternator, Power steering AND a water pump belt. Part is discontinued from Chevy, but they said they can get it. GM Part #: 9433718 (assuming this is AC Delco)

Sure would like to know how to put the belt on? I guess you could work it onto the water pump pulley after first placing it around the crankshaft pully Then turning the water pump pulley till the belt slips into the groove. And try doing this without stretching the belt? Sounds a little strange.

Any ideas?

Could use a belt right about now! :s

I would ask at the Chevy dealer if there is an installation procedure. At first blush I would say you could loosen the 4 bolts holding the fan pulley to the water pump. If worst comes to worst and you still can't get it on easily then maybe remove 3 of the 4 bolts put the belt on and rotate the pulley back into place.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will contact the mechanics at Chevy after the holiday.

Will let you know what I find!

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom