Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! fasten seat belt light issue

blackvette929

Corvette
1984 black targa top
[h=2]how do you disconnect the FSB light for 84 vette[/h]
i have an 84 vette that has the fasten seat belt light that will no go off. there are two black wires the go up the drivers side seat belt shaft that i assume connects to the seat belt connector. if i cut those wires and short them will the light go off, if not what can I do to remedy the issue?​

- See more at: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...isconnect-fsb-light-84-vette.html#post1161250

I have not done it so this is just based on some assumptions. Trace the wires and see if there's a inline connector (which I assume there is) on the buckle side of the seatbelt. Unhook the connector and check it with a volt meter and see if there's current with the ignition switch on through one of the wires. If there is, see if you jumper the connector the light goes out. If it does then I assume the switch on the buckle is bad.

Good luck.

tom

Well I did what u said to do there was no connector just two black wires. I cut them and measure 12 volts to ground on one and the other wire was connected to ground. Jumped the wires and the light stayed on but the 12 volts dissappeared proving to me there is a switchable voltage circuit. Obvious ly the light gets its voltage fromantic somewhere else any suggestions?

BlackVette, the first thing you need in order to maintain a complex 30 year old car is the Factory Shop Manual (FSM). If you had these two books, you could have learned that the switch in the seat belt buckle has nothing to do with the light. In fact, when you shorted the two wires together, you should have a continuous seat belt buzzer alarm! I'm sure that would drive you crazy (if the buzzer is any good)!

The light is controlled by a delay timer, which is part of the same alarm module as the key-in alarm and the lights-on alarm, located behind the center panel of your dash. There is a black wire (ground) at that module that may be the problem. This black ground wire is only for the delay timer. Check to be sure it has a good ground. Remove the short you installed at the seat belt buckle, as this will cause a small (but unnecessary) drain on your battery. If you had checked the operation of that seat belt switch, you would have learned that the switch opens when you latch the seat belt. When the switch opens, the buzzer turns off.

hcbph, I have a question for you: Why are you giving advice when you don't know what you're talking about?

:pat

Last edited:
hcbph, I have a question for you: Why are you giving advice when you don't know what you're talking about?

If you noticed I made the note it was based on some assumptions. The assumption was it was similar to my old Chevelle which it did work on, which had a connection under the seat that if the belt wasn't connected then it caused problems till it was buckled. You will also notice I didn't suggest to cut the wires, rather to look for a connector which I'm sure there should be one somewhere in the circuit.
I also noticed no one else (Including you) had offered any ideas or suggestions up till after I at least gave him something to check out.

I just gave the same answer as you did, to this question, on the general discussion. Now that I know the correct answer I stand corrected, but I did give it my best, I am not perfect. I also appreciate a courteous correction, emphasize courteous!

Here's the circuit for the seat belt lamp. Notice that there is no separate connector. The wires plug into the switch, which is inside the buckle.

Sorry this comes out so small. Click on the picture to enlarge it.
DSCN2125.jpg

hcbph, since you have the '86 big book tech manual, is this diagram from my '84 FSM different than your '86? Is this diagram in your '86 manual?

Attachments

• DSCN2099.jpg
    DSCN2099.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom