Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally Bought A "ZR1"

What a great save. I've been following this thread for some time and can't wait for the next installment. I've seen the 89 that Mike Yeager has and it is impressive. I'm sure that this one will be just as good.

The top fit like a glove on the first try. The geometry of the tub was not compromised when they tried to crush it with the front end loader. It should move fairly fast now.
2s66dl0.jpg

When I got home from the NCRS Winter Regional today, I buzzed by the shop before I went to the house. Boy, was I happy!!!!!!!! Looky here!!

24od2ky.jpg

24pcsup.jpg

I saved the Pilot #48 part of the front support.
2vbsutz.jpg

It is looking good. Glad you were able to save the front support piece. Is that the color the car is supposed to be? Very similar to the color of Mike Yeager's 89 ZR1.

Yes. It's very close to the 89 color, if not exact. I've never looked up the codes between 88 and 89. I like the color though.

It's a blue/blue car. Identical to Tyler's beautiful 88 EX5014.

A ZR1 Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, back in form. Depending on our beautiful IN weather, I'll have it home this week.

10h3z8j.jpg

il95ys.jpg

71sdop.jpg

Back On All Fours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How great it is to see this car back on all fours. Quite amazing from what it looked like eight weeks ago. Now, it's time for paint prep and a new coat of blue before the Gathering in May.

2z8nsld.jpg

r8cxeu.jpg

28b4osh.jpg

Finally showing the graceful lines of the King Of The Hill. Hope to have it in paint by April 1st.

1sjkux.jpg

This is way to kool. What year motor are you going to use?:cool!:

Geoff Jeal is building me a PhaseII LT5 #046. The car was built with a PhaseII motor in July 87. There is only one other PhaseII motor in existence that is in running condition. It's in Tyler Townsley's EX5014 88 ZR1 Prototype.

The engine will be completed in about a week. Just in time for Bowling Green!
28sr9xx.jpg

Installed the EX5023 plate with the rosette rivets. Finally getting it's Engineering designated name back.

dwvvvo.jpg

It's all coming together... :)

-Mac

The remainder of parts were painted today. It looks awesome. Corey Brown did the paint work. Corey, along with Mark Rick and Jeremy, have painted many 53's and 54's for me over the past ten years, not to mention midyears and sharks. These guys are very good at what they do....and it shows!
Gotta give thanks to Mark Fesmier for rebuilding the body from the mangled mess from the front end loader at the UK Salvage yard.

2l9fyu.jpg

245a910.jpg

Great story. Waiting for more. Great job restoring a great piece of Corvette History. Have you spoken to, or contacted Dave McLellan about your Corvette ?? Would realy like to hear what he'd have to say. Keep up the great work. Good Luck ! :thumb

I'm sure I'll see him in a few weeks.

I am very interested in this story. I had a long conversation back in the summer of 1998 (in Toronto, Canada) with John Powell about the LT5/ZR-1. As some may remember he made the cover of Autoweek magazine (July 20, 1987) with a silver prototype LT5 as referred to back then. LT5/ZR-1 "King of the Hill". At that time he also told me about another new motor coming....Generation II LT1.

All this info was of great interest to me. Later I remember reading about the prototype ZR-1 in a junkyard in the UK. , read it in Vette Vues Magazine. I then called the gentleman in the USA that aquired it. I think he was in Florida at the time. I could be wrong, but he told me he was going to restore the car himself. I have always wondered what happened to these ZR-1 prototype's . Glad you got one and are doing a great job restoring it to it's glory. Hope all goes well.

Hope you let us all know what he says. Will you be taking the ZR-1 to Carlisle this August ?

Not really sure about Carlisle yet.

I've been working evenings on my car and working on 53-55's during the day. Very exhausting lately. Had to get this thing done in time for BG though. Thanks to Jerry's Gaskets, Marc Haibeck, Jim Voter and Pete!, I will have everything I need to install the drivetrain this weekend....finally.
30wqd0x.jpg

2zppj10.jpg

24drbsz.jpg

2iuvmh4.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom