Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally had my Corvette cherry popped....

not4spd

Corvette
1989 black/silver coupe
Finally had my Corvette cherry popped....*Updated bottom post 1-11-09*

and it only took 27 years. I'm finally the proud owner of a 1989 Corvette coupe. Here's my story and some pictures. :D

Been browsing the forums the past couple of days figure it's time for me to post.

The History on picking her up
The week before Thanksgiving I posted my GTP for trade on Craigslist. I was contacted by a man who owned a Corvette that was interested in trading. I was a little skeptical because who in their right mind would trade a car worth twice as much as as a GTP. The Saturday before Thanksgiving we met to look at both cars. At first glance I knew there was something special about the car. I was drawn to it and could visualize her better days. At first sight I wanted to cry seeing how she had been neglected. It would definetly be a project that would take some time to bring back those glory days. After test driving her I was hooked.

After exchanging a few questions back and fourth I had butterflies in my stomach and was anxious to seal the deal. He test drove the GTP and seemed to enjoy her.

We both agreed to trade, but there was one problem-he had to get a hold of the title. :mad I had a feeling I knew where this was going, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to hold off a few days to see what happens.

Waited the week of Thanksgiving and nothing. I called the Monday on the following week only to find that he was still trying to process the title. Called the next week on Tuesday and found out that the title still had a lein holder on it. To obtain a copy of the title, the DMV needed proof the car was paid off. Apparently the Orginal lein holder had been bought out by another bank. Then that bank bought out by someone else. No records were transferred electronically so everything had to be pulled manually. At this time I was starting to lose hope. The story he was giving me seemed like a run around. I went ahead and put the car back up F/S or F/T. The third week went by and didn't hear anything. I was pretty sure it was a dead deal. Fastfoward to Christmas night and I recieved an email saying we were good to go. Made for a nice extra present I wasn't expecting!

The next day Friday December 26th, 2008 I dropped the GTP off and picked up the Corvette. Driving her home I decided to see how she did performance wise. Gave it hell from a low roll and was surprised that it had more power than I intially thought. Not as quick as the GTP but much more fun to drive, and insurance is $21 cheaper a month than the GTP with the same policy :L

Now on to the good part....

1989 Chevy Corvette Coupe
5.7 liter TPI
350 CI
240hp/335tq
9.5:1 Comp Ratio
(Will post RPO info when I have a new RPO sticker. Missing from where it's supposed to be.)

A few Pictures the night 12/26/08 I picked her up-
At the car wash ready for a bath(only time the car will ever not be hand washed.:upthumbs)

Corvettedirtypic.jpg

Corvettedirtypic2.jpg

Dirtyvettepic.jpg

Dirtyvettepic3.jpg

DirtyVettepic4.jpg

Finally washed
After she dried she still was filthy and needed a 2nd wash(hand) which happened the next day. Don't let the picture fool you. She's wet so it's hard to see the peeling clearcoat. Kinda gives you a visual on what she will look like after fresh paint. :)

washedvette.jpg

Washedvette2.jpg

The vehicle had been hesitating and had a rough idle since I had picked her up. Finally drove her home pulled in the garage and popped the hood. Right off the bat you could hear the driver side exhaust manifold leaking. Walked over to the other side and here's what I saw

Corvettebadwire.jpg

Oh darn looks like I'll have to head up to the parts store, get some new wires, and tinker with the toy. :D

Back at the house and took the cover off to get to the wires and replace them all. Notice how dirty the engine bay is. YUCK!
Corvetteallsparkwires.jpg

Replaced all the wires, fired her up, and backed her out of the garage to run a fuel injection cleaning. I ended up being out of carb cleaner spray so I couldn't clean out the TB. I did have some cleaner that goes into the gas tank though.

I also had the liquid cleaner that connects to the brake booster or other vacum line that goes into the intake manifold. Ran it nice and slow stepped back and watched the smoke show. The next door neighbors were outside and downwind when I did this. They didn't stay outside very long, I think the smell got to them a little bit :lmao:

CorvetteFIC.jpg

The next morning I drove to a lube shop to get the front 6 fittings greesed. I don't know how the front end squeeking didn't get on the previous owner's nerve. I know this will come as a shock, but there was no grease in the fittings. Came back home, hand washed the exterior, and washed the engine bay.
Corvettewashedmotor.jpg

After she was all washed up I had to take her for a spin with the targa top off. Put her back in the garage and went to pick my daughter up. The look on her face was priceless when I opened the garage. She was jumping up and down saying, "Ohhh look at that!" and "I want to go fast!" Brought a huge smile to my face just wish I had the camcorder to film her reaction.

Here's my daughter Jayden checking out the new ride
CorvetteJayden.jpg

Parts that came with the Corvette
Rear pads and rotors
U-joints
Factory Service Manual :thumb
An extra top-Car has 2 a glass one(on in the pictures) and a painted one(matches paint scheme with silver stripe down middle of it)

Needed
Paint
Brakes all the way around(I need to take pics when they are off)
Rear brake lights not working
Interior(you name it it probably needs it.)
Suspension-liveable, but will need to start replacing parts
Antenna
I'm sure I'll come across more as I tinker with it

Future Plans
Engine mods will be very mild and will come after big jobs are finished
The wife and I will be restoring her and making this a show/street cruiser.

See everyone around the forums.
Since I have driven the Corvette I have yet to see another Corvette to wave too. Can I get a friendly wave from some fellow Corvette owners. :w

Welcome to the CAC

:upthumbsI know you will enjoy you vette. Even though it needs work. Every moment spent with her is priceless. Your daughter will get the chance to ride with you. Running with the targa off priceless.Wind blowing through your hair on a sunny day priceless .
My grandsons ask to ride in my 88 vette nearly everyday.
When we go for a ride they perk up with pride priceless. Mine is not perfect in any way but is mechanically sound. Take your time and research your repairs. There is a wealth of experience here so ask question. There are no stupid questions.:welcome
Save the wave.

Happy Holidays,
Donald

Open center console lid should be a sticker with the RPO codes. Also has paint code located on the sticker below RPOs

Welcome to the :CAC and congrats on the new ride:upthumbs I know you are going to enjoy it :beer and don't worry about that big grin that's staying on your face, it comes with the deal:D
P.S. Keep us posted on your progress with her:w

thanks for the kind words everyone. I will definetly keep everyone posted. I had looked in the center console under the lid but the sticker is missing. I assume you can get them at the dealer if I give them the VIN?

The brake lights are not working either. I have researched the fsm and found that the switch is or could be bad. I'll have to test the wires to know for sure. Anyone have suggestions on a peticular volt meter(correct me if im wrong) that I should look into? Engine, suspension, brakes, paint, body work I can do. Electrical I have never got a chance to really diagnose and tinker with on a car.

Congrats and welcome. Now you will never be able to go back to just another car!:D I got my first vette when I was 20 years old ('73 coupe) and I was hooked. My next vette was an '88 coupe followed by an '02 vert and now an '08 coupe.

Like I said, you are now hooked.:D

I hope you have a great time with your new ride. I really miss that clamshell hood.:thumb

My 88 coupe was in about the same shape when I bought her 4 years ago, alot of elbow grease and alot $$$ and she is almost back to where she started. Its a long road, but a great ride!!

A BIG WAVE FROM ILL.:w AND CONGRATES:thumb

Welcome aboard, CAC is a great place. I love your story and the fact that you probably "saved" that car from a miserable life. As far as a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) I think the Flukes are great, expensive but great. I bought a Craftsman that does just fine.

Welcome to the CAC. :w To be safe, the first thing you should do is get the brakes fixed all around, and the brake lights.
Good luck on your project.

welcome to CAC!!!:welcome
very nice story!!!!
enjoy!!!!

Welcome to the CAC not4spd. BTW: just about any meeter with a continuity tester will work just fine.

Hecox

Welcome to the CAC!

Thanks for getting a nice car back to where she belongs. And the pic of your daughter is priceless. :thumb

:w
-Stefan

I hope you have a great time with your new ride. I really miss that clamshell hood.:thumb
Thanks, I've already put about 200 miles on her. Texas weather is great it's been in the 70's the past couple of days. :D I love this car even if she's not the prettiest!

My 88 coupe was in about the same shape when I bought her 4 years ago, alot of elbow grease and alot $$$ and she is almost back to where she started. Its a long road, but a great ride!!
Amen brother, it will take some time, but the finished product will be worth it!

Welcome aboard, CAC is a great place. I love your story and the fact that you probably "saved" that car from a miserable life. As far as a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) I think the Flukes are great, expensive but great. I bought a Craftsman that does just fine.
Thanks for the advice I'll have to check them out. I have heard good things about Flukes myself.

Welcome to the CAC. :w To be safe, the first thing you should do is get the brakes fixed all around, and the brake lights.
Good luck on your project.
Yep, ordering some drilled and slotted rotors tonight then picking up a set of brake pads. I've got to measure the rotors on the car though. The RPO sticker is missing from the console and I'm not sure if I have the 12" or 13" rotors. Will be busting out the measuring tape tonight. I'm going to have to further investigate the brake lamps. I looked at the brake switch, there is a connector going in to it with 3 different colored wires coming out of it(the plug). It appears that a wire has been cut or something of the sort, because I noticed 2 black wires just dangling off the plug. Both black wires are attached to other colored wires going in to the plug. Hopefully that's the underlining issue. :W

Picked up the brake switch from oreilys for 8.99. I imagine that will be the chreapest part i will purchase for this car. All I can say is wow. I didn't know my back could bend the way it did replacing the switch. Got the brake lights working, except the third brake light. I imagine it's probably the bulb.

Thanks for the pictures. I can hardly wait to see your improvements.

Welcome to CAC! You will have a great time here. :upthumbs

WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING YOUR NEW VETTE, PLEASE SAVE THE :w!

Update

Here's the update on the car since I've purchased:

The tint was nice and faded purple so it was time to scrap it off.
tintbeingremoved-1.jpg

Tint all off the rear window:
rearglassnotint.jpg

Here's a shot of the old rotor on the car:
oldrotoronvehicle.jpg

Close up of the inside portion of the rotor-Notice the uneven wear...
badrotorcloseup.jpg

With the rotor looking like the way it is here's how the pad turned out...
oldpad.jpg

New much better rotors from Summit: :D
newdrillslottedrotoroncar.jpg

Cost so far:
Labor-$0
Corvette-$0
Spark Plug wires-$22.99
Brake Switch-$8.99
Drilled/Slotted Rotors X2-119.98
Wagner Semi Metallic Pads-$103.99
Total-$255.95

Next up will be the front suspension rebuild kit from Eckler's.

Still have yet to see another Vette owner driving down the road. The only time is when I'm in the daily. :cry
So I'll continue here
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom