Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Find any great roads ??

Great ones in Calif.
Ran about 700 miles last weekend from Sacramento to Ft. Bragg then to the Gaint Redwoods (Ave of the gaints), then back home through the Napa Wine valley. Great Vette roads.
:w

Yep, the ones here around the Redwoods can be exciting ... sans the pot-holes. Got one tree, located in the outside groove of a hairpin that has a bulls-eye painted on it ...been re-painted numerous times due to fiberlas scuffs!!

I'm looking forward to making the Nevada Silver State Classic in the spring .... 90 miles of flat-out running (almost!) without fear of the black and whites.

Here's the site http://www.silverstateclassic.com/home.htm ... anybody done it??

warren s said:
Find any great roads? Tell us about them !!
This is from Rt. 28 in upstate New York
Here in the Southeast, 'The Dragon' is the superstar. A long time destination and highly sought after run for the hot bike crowd, it lures riders from all over America and beyond. It plays host to annual Miata, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari and Corvette Clubs and most recently was a testing ground for Dave Hill and his staff with a small group of C6's. Very dangerous, it claims lives each year. The 'Dragon' is a stretch of road that boasts 318 curves in 11 miles. It is narrow, curvy and goes up and down as you ascend and descend it. It separates the Great Smoky Mountain National Park on one side and the Cherokee National Forest on the other. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Hi Warren,

If you know about 28 then I'd suggest that next weekend you take a ride up to the same area. The fall leaves should be about peak then. Run up the Thruway to the New Paltz exit. When you get off, take a left on 299. Go through the small town of New Paltz and just keep going until you come to a "t", probably 5-8 miles. Take a right on 44/55 and you'll go up over a mountain (when the sign says that there's a left hand turn coming and 5-10 miles per hour, THEY MEAN IT) where they climb sheer cliffs. Keep on truckin' (allowing time for stops to see the valleys) for about 20 miles or so and you'll come to a "t" with rt. 209.
Take a left and go for about 10 miles or so into Ellenville. When you come to the Stewarts (convienient store) on your right at a light, hang a left and go up over that mountain. If you're lucky you'll hit it when they're handgliding and see some nice flights.

If you want to get a clue, I have some pictures of last year. http://www.picturetrail.com/stevecalvin And open the "Fall 2003" folder.

If you go, take a camera and extra film.

Calvins - Thanks, thats relativly near comapred to Cooperstown, I will try and make that this weekend, might be one of the last good weekends

Z_OH_6 - The Tail of the Dragon looks like somthing I am going to plan to drive on next summer. Thanks for the info and website !

warren s said:
Calvins - Thanks, thats relativly near comapred to Cooperstown, I will try and make that this weekend, might be one of the last good weekends

Z_OH_6 - The Tail of the Dragon looks like somthing I am going to plan to drive on next summer. Thanks for the info and website !
You're more than welcome; it's awesome and something you'll never forget. :beer

From New England

RT9 out of Brattleboro, VT through the Green Mountains. Then take RT8 west just out of Wilmington, VT into North Adams, MA. At that point you go south on RT2 through the Mohawk Trail. The roads are great with lots of turns and elevation changes and during the fall season the scenery is breath taking.

Remo:cool

calvins said:
Hi Warren,

If you know about 28 then I'd suggest that next weekend you take a ride up to the same area. The fall leaves should be about peak then. Run up the Thruway to the New Paltz exit. When you get off, take a left on 299. Go through the small town of New Paltz and just keep going until you come to a "t", probably 5-8 miles. Take a right on 44/55 and you'll go up over a mountain (when the sign says that there's a left hand turn coming and 5-10 miles per hour, THEY MEAN IT) where they climb sheer cliffs. Keep on truckin' (allowing time for stops to see the valleys) for about 20 miles or so and you'll come to a "t" with rt. 209.
Take a left and go for about 10 miles or so into Ellenville. When you come to the Stewarts (convienient store) on your right at a light, hang a left and go up over that mountain. If you're lucky you'll hit it when they're handgliding and see some nice flights.

If you want to get a clue, I have some pictures of last year. http://www.picturetrail.com/stevecalvin And open the "Fall 2003" folder.

If you go, take a camera and extra film.
That does sound really nice. I too will have to try to do it some time soon.

came up the thruway 2x today the colors are absolutely fabulous!!!!!

stopped on the way up and took some pics will post them in the off road lounge
in a little bit
this should be the last weekend for the colors in the catskills:cry ,but it has been very pretty this week!!!!!!!:w
bill

Ryan,

Bill's right. This is going to be the weekend for it! If the weather co-operates I'm gonna make that run this Saturday. I'm hoping that they'll be hand gliding of off the Ellenville Mountain.

I have a feeling that if you miss this weekend, you've missed it for the year.

Easy ride from the Point.

calvins said:
Ryan,

Bill's right. This is going to be the weekend for it! If the weather co-operates I'm gonna make that run this Saturday. I'm hoping that they'll be hand gliding of off the Ellenville Mountain.

I have a feeling that if you miss this weekend, you've missed it for the year.

Easy ride from the Point.
Thanks for the heads up, I may go tomorrow or saturday depending on my schedule, whats the quikest way from the point to there?

cruzer82 said:
How about great roads year round???
You just can't beat Hwy 1 mostly north of S.F. all year round. Even better pucker factor in fall with semi-wet roads but less tourists in motorhomes and economy rentals. Check out Inn at the Tides (motel and restaurant) in Bodega Bay. Great road to run 75-80% with occasional 90-95% blasts - some of the cliffs are a loooooonnnnggggg waaaay dowwwnnnn!

Bioscache2 said:
Thanks for the heads up, I may go tomorrow or saturday depending on my schedule, whats the quikest way from the point to there?
The easiest way would probably be to pick up the Thruway (87) north to exit 18 (I think). The New Paltz exit. Get off there. When the exit "tees" at a light that's route 299. Hang a left and just keep on trucking through New Paltz and outta town for about oh maybe 8 miles or so to another tee with route 44/55 then hang a right. HEED my previous warning about a left hand curve labled at 5 miles per hour going up the mountain. There will probably be people everywhere if it's a nice day tomorrow so drive carefully for a few miles. That's a road with some beautiful views of the valleys on both sides of the mountain. If you go straight far enough you'll come to another tee. You can either take a right back toward the Thruway or do a "uie" and head back over the mountain or if you have time take a left and go into Ellenville (you'll go through a bunch of little towns first but you can't miss Ellenville)

In Ellenville you'll come to an intersection with Rt 52 I believe. There's a Stewarts convienient store on the far right corner. If I remember correctly and you turn left there it will take you up over a larger mountain with extremely nice views too. You may want to stop at the store and just ask them if 52 is the road up over the mountain where they hand glide from. I'm 90% sure that's the correct turn but it couldn't hurt to ask.

If you go up the mountain and they are flying you'll have no problem seeing where to stop and watch for a bit and take in the valley below. From there, I wouldn't recommend continuing on that road if you don't know where you are. I'd recommend backtracking to the thruway. If you're feeling adventurous though you can keep going. Good road, two lane country type roads. Just take any road you see with a sign that say "Newburgh" and once in Newburgh you're back at the Thruway and head south on that back to The Point.

If ya go, enjoy. If you see a silver '97 don't forget to wave! :D

Loch Ness Monsters

warren s said:
Find any great roads? Tell us about them !!
This is from Rt. 28 in upstate New York
In July we spent two weeks touring Scotland. The roads were like driving a car in a video game, curves and hills everywhere.

Asked how to improve the trip, I said "Do it in the "Red Car".

While at Loch Ness we ran into a Corvette Club from Sweden. Perhaps someone from that group could chime in and tell about those great roads.

Have pictures,but can't figure how to get them posted.

MCMLVII

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57220&highlight=tail+lizard

Tail of the Lizard is our infant version of the Dragon(but right here in south mississippi).
Nice hair-pin and sweeping curves with a few straight aways that allow tripple digits on the speedometer.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55232&highlight=tail+lizard

Right now only speed bikes, cruisers and harleys travel this road but the Corvette and Miata groups are slowly learning about its existance. I give it a year or 2 before its as traveled as the Dragon.

Rain

Went for the ride past New Paltz today and it was beautiful. Only got to take a few pics cause I ran out of film and I couldn't go to the last part of the drive (right at the stewart's) cause I ran out of time but it was indeed beautiful. Saw a few other vettes to include a silver C5 (was that you calvins?) Highly recommend it during the fall change over.

warren s said:
I was at a place called the Eagles Nest today in Bloomingberg NY. The foliage was spectacular. What a differance a week made.
I agree it looked like all the trees had held out for this weekend

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom