Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fire Extinguisher

M

myred73vette

I have a 73 convertable and I know I need a A,B,C fire extinguisher. What is the best size and a place to mount so it won't be in the way with top down. Thanks in advance.

i would used one called cold fire it dose not damage any thing and great

There aren't very many places in the C3 interior where a fire extinguisher can be located which is both easily accessible and not in the way. I mounted mine sideways, on the floor just ahead of the passenger seat.

As for what size, you want the biggest fire bottle you can mount without it being in the way.

An extinguisher in a vehicle should be ABC-rated. 1-A:10B:C is the size which easily fits in that spot. I have a 2-A:40B:C mounted there.

As for dry chemical vs. "clean" extinguishing agents such as "Halotron"...extinguishers using either are effective but dry chemical bottles, while less expensive, leave a mess of white powder. For a given size of fire extinguisher, dry chemical will put out more fire. For example, a 6-lb dry chemical bottle is rated 3-A:40B:C where as a 6.5-lb Halotron bottle is only rated 5BC.

So, if you really want to put out a vehicle fire, you should have a dry chemical fire extinguisher.

Here are a couple of pictures of my install in our 72 vert.
fe5.jpg

fe6.jpg

What about an on-board system with a tank in the engine bay. Is that doable? Maybe mounted in front of the radiator hidden sort'a. Mind you, I don't know if it is even plausable?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom