Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: First long Road Trip, but no other C3's:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
Well we just got back last night from my 1st long road trip. My 1st because I just got this, my 1st Vette this past October. It pretty much ran like a top except for some very slight surging at cruising speed. Feels like headwind.
Left Baton Rouge and most of the miles was thru Texas, 1,106 round trip. I was surprised when I ran the numbers my fill up's today and seen that the car average right at 16 mpg. It has the L82 all stock. Used Shell Super Unleaded. On the Interstates we cruised at 70 & 75 with AC of course. I was told to look forward to around 13-14. So I guess I'm happy.
But guys and girls I seen no other C3's. Where you at!! :) I seen 1 C4 and quite a few C5's, 1 C6. As I said, I bought it in October, 08 and my wife drove it for the 1st time on the way back home. SHE LIKED IT!
Well that's it. Lator Gators! :cool

The older the cars, the less you're gonna see 'em. C5's are a dime a dozen right now and they are pretty reliable. No surprise there's lots of 'em out there. I see about equal numbers of C2-C4 when I'm out and about.
I dunno, but the smaller numbers makes "The Wave" seem all that more meaningful. :D :w

Yes I know, but it would have been nice to see just one other C3. It was a fairly long road trip. :w

Yes, I was looking at the info Mid America sent me. Never know. ;shrug

Being a Newbie I have never been there. Have you? If so, what is there to do around there? (Effingham, IL)
I actually showed the info on it to my wife last night. She has been asking me what I want to do or where I want to go for my 54th BD which is in July. She asked me the question I'm asking now about what else is there to do around there. Hey I could put off a BD trip for a couple of months. :cool

401KVet - first of all, congrats on a great looking SHARK ! :upthumbs Seeing another SHARK out on the roads anymore is like a treat. I don't think many other C3 owners do long road trips because they aren't real confident of putting them out there for days on end. It's to bad, because they grab attention ... everybody knows what they are.
Back in 2000 and 2001, YODA and I took our C3's from Modesto California to Bowling Green (each round trip being approximately 5000 miles).
Most thought we were pretty crazy to run our SHARKS back there, but we kept up on maintenance and were confident taking them anywhere.
Aside from Andre, I don't know of too many others that wouldn't hesitate to pack up and go anywhere in their C3.
So ... more power to you. Keep that C3 out there for others to see.

the DawG :Steer:thumb

DawG,
I'm not a mechanic by a long shot, but I know what has to be done to a car so it want leave you on the road. After I bought this my first Vette back in October I started to work on it, and what I couldn't do I paid others to do. Of course anything could happen, even if I would be driving a C6.
That being said, me and the wife are looking forward to our next road trip. My Louisiana L. Plate is a prestige plate with Antique on the bottom and the plate number is 80VETTE Thanks, :w

I had a 69 vert .350/350 4sp.When I sold it the odometer read almost 300 ,000 miles .It made many a long road trips and most we're enjoyable .Thats what their for :D Welcome

RIGHT ON!
I did not buy it just to look at it. Even though I do plenty of that too!!! :w

Being a Newbie I have never been there. Have you? If so, what is there to do around there? (Effingham, IL)
I actually showed the info on it to my wife last night. She has been asking me what I want to do or where I want to go for my 54th BD which is in July. She asked me the question I'm asking now about what else is there to do around there. Hey I could put off a BD trip for a couple of months. :cool
This will be the 12th year my wife and I have attended Fun Fest. Between checking out the cars, displays, and tech sessions, hanging out with our CAC friends, and meeting other Vette nuts we've never had to try to hard to stay busy all weekend. However, if your looking to extend your trip to take in some other activities I'd have to concede that Effingham doesn't have many other attractions. There may be fun to be had along the road depending upon the route you take. There's plenty to see in St. Louis and St. Gen has some great wineries.

This will be the 12th year my wife and I have attended Fun Fest. Between checking out the cars, displays, and tech sessions, hanging out with our CAC friends, and meeting other Vette nuts we've never had to try to hard to stay busy all weekend. However, if your looking to extend your trip to take in some other activities I'd have to concede that Effingham doesn't have many other attractions. There may be fun to be had along the road depending upon the route you take. There's plenty to see in St. Louis and St. Gen has some great wineries.
It really sounds like fun. St. Louis sounds good to. How far a drive from the Fun Fest, and what is St. Gen ??. Thanks, :w

It really sounds like fun. St. Louis sounds good to. How far a drive from the Fun Fest, and what is St. Gen ??. Thanks, :w
St Louis is about 100 miles west of Effingham on I70. Coming up from Louisiana I wasn't sure if you would go through Missouri or not. St. Gen is St Genevieve. It's located a little south (maybe 40mi) of St. Louis and is the oldest town west of the Mississippi river. The wineries are south of town. check out www.crownvalleywinery.com.

St Louis is about 100 miles west of Effingham on I70. Coming up from Louisiana I wasn't sure if you would go through Missouri or not. St. Gen is St Genevieve. It's located a little south (maybe 40mi) of St. Louis and is the oldest town west of the Mississippi river. The wineries are south of town. check out www.crownvalleywinery.com.
Thanks again, now I need to go to work on the wife :)
:w

Most thought we were pretty crazy to run our SHARKS back there, but we kept up on maintenance and were confident taking them anywhere.
Aside from Andre, I don't know of too many others that wouldn't hesitate to pack up and go anywhere in their C3.
Absolutely! Aside from not being waterproof, I've had very few problems with my car. I can say with 100% certainty it's never thrown a computer code at me while my newer daily drivers have! :L Any problems I've ever had with my car that potentially kept me grounded were all aftermarket things...the front pump on my aftermarket transmission and my digital ignition system. Other than that *knock on fiberglass* my car has always been solid! Oh, the OEM calipers went out on me. But that didn't keep me from making the drive to BG! :boogie (Anyways, OEM calipers are a well known/documented issue, so that doesn't really count. :cool)

I'd almost think that you'd have to include GerryLP in that list considering he was the first CruiseFest Road Warrior recipient if I recall correctly. Or would that award specifically exclude him from this list?? :L

I know what you mean man. I drive my 79 all the time and even though I sometimes feel like dinosaur I get an even bigger kick knowing I'm the only out there driving a real machine. No recycled Miller cans.

I haven't been to funfest, but I have been to Hot Springs and Eureka Springs Arkansas Corvette weekends last year. I'm going to Eureka Springs again in Oct. Lots of cars and fun.

I haven't been to funfest, but I have been to Hot Springs and Eureka Springs Arkansas Corvette weekends last year. I'm going to Eureka Springs again in Oct. Lots of cars and fun.
Arkansas is a little closer for me. What else can you tell me about it? :w

Just look up Eureka Springs Corvette weekend on the net. It's a lot of fun. They have an autocross, photo tour, fuel mileage tour, car show and departure caravans. Plus, it's just a beautiful town. The whole area for that matter. Hotels are scarce but I think there are still rooms at Pointe West hotel, which is where I'm staying. Oct. 1-4 this year. see you there!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom