Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First Pictures of My Car Being Painted

Corvette
2017 Arctic White Grand Sport
Dropped the car off with Paintdaddy 4 or 5 weeks ago. Here are the first pictures of the progress. I'm going to add the 81 - 82 rear bumper with the spoiler and the 78 pace car front spoiler. I'm debating a couple of racing stripes but after Len threatened to go to Rob and have my barred from the CAC, I'm not so sure. Kenny, Heidi and Jeff were for it. Mark, Jen and Len were against it.

One of the guys that used to come around here, GrandSportC3, has a 68 with the stripe and I liked it.

paint01.jpg

paint02.jpg

paint03.jpg

paint04.jpg

Vette_with_stripe.jpg

Looking good! I wish I was that far along with my build, I wish I was home to be able to work on it, 25 days short!!! then "Miller Time!":beer I think the stripes look good also, remember, you'll have to be the one who likes it in the end.

:r SGT Kirk
PS, I found a C3 here in Kuwait City, I'll try to get back down there and take some pics and talk to the guy.

Boy they look like heck till there painted again!!!I know I couldn't wait to see mine finished!!!GOOD LUCK and get it the way YOU like it!! It's YOUR vette not Len's!!! ;)

bill :w

Hey Bob, Sounds like your in a dilema, so here is an alternative suggestion, for what its worth, Why not just paint the car one colour and apply the stripes in a vinyl. Then if you find you dont like them for what ever reason, you can use a hair dryer and remove them.

Just my $0.02 worth!

:beer Kiwi Vette

Thanks for the input guys. After 4 years it was a relief to get it in the shop. I've got another month to make up my mind on the stripes, though I've go to admit I've never heard of vinyl stripes.

Bob Chadwick said:
Thanks for the input guys. After 4 years it was a relief to get it in the shop. I've got another month to make up my mind on the stripes, though I've go to admit I've never heard of vinyl stripes.

Hey Bob

78 Pace Car, 78 Silver Anniversary and the 82 Collectors addition all had Vinyl stick on stripes. You could almost say vinyl stripes are OEM :L. So why not the Cobra/Viper type stripes from vinyl? (Sorry, I know Cobra & Viper are dirty words on this site ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL - please forgive)

Any signwriter worth his salt should be able to sort you out with the computer cut vinyl. 3M (for example) make about 40 or so colours of UV resistant vinyls. Should'nt cost too much, and if you have second thoughts, you can remove them easily at home.;shrug

Anyway, just a thought.

I think the idea of the removable stripes is a good one. I saw a vette in town the other day with 2 wide stripes - the color combo was a yellow and green, nicely done
:-)

oceangal said:
I think the idea of the removable stripes is a good one.

I agree. Nobody well ever know they are vinyl unless they get right on top of it. And even then, if its a quality job, it'll look great.

kiwi vet said:
...78 Silver Anniversary...had Vinyl stick on stripes.
When we repainted my 78SA 5 years ago, the painter masked and painted the lower body color and pin stripes with coats of clear over the top.
What I like about this over the stock application is that there are NO EDGES to catch on anything and chip or peel off. Totally smooth surface.
IMO, if you want stripes, paint them on and clear over it for a smooth and easy care surface.
Heidi

Bob, is Mark doing a bc/cc or urethane or enamel?

I guess I'll chime in and break the vote tie! ;LOL I think It will look good! After all vettes are hot rods and they reflect the owners personality!
I guess this puts me in Len's banned camp! ;)

SoLow said:
I'm not exactly sure which Mark is doing. I passed your question on and will let you know what I hear. I'm a little more trusting with Mark, knowing him and having seen his work, than I would normally be.

grapeknutz said:
I guess I'll chime in and break the vote tie! ;LOL I think It will look good! After all vettes are hot rods and they reflect the owners personality!
I guess this puts me in Len's banned camp! ;)

Good to see you and Nancy on Saturday. And thanks for the vote.

I vote for the stripes!! I want something similiar on mine. Most likely, I'll have a single stripe down the center with a strip coming out of each side vent. (blue with white stripes)

Bob Chadwick said:
I'm a little more trusting with Mark, knowing him and having seen his work, than I would normally be.

Yeah Marks one of the "good guys" out there......I know it will be right when he's through with it. I take it he's doing the weatherstripping , lens's and emblems at the same time?

How was the BBQ this weekend at Lens? I haven't had the chance to make it to any of the functions since Marks paint party!

SoLow said:
Yeah Marks one of the "good guys" out there......I know it will be right when he's through with it. I take it he's doing the weatherstripping , lens's and emblems at the same time?

All of the above. They indicated that they are about ready to prime it. I'm getting excited. :_rock

We had a good time Saturday night. Hopefully you can make the next one.

SoLow said:
Bob Chadwick said:
Mark, Do you know what SoLow is talking about? All I know is you're painting the car. ;LOL
paintdaddy said:
;LOL Your cracking me up,its single stage urethane without the stripe but cleared with the stripe.
Here's the answer to that technical question. ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom