Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First Ride

Paul T

Corvette
1967(427/400),2011(Z06)
I think my pulse and breathing rate are now normal enough to discuss getting a ride in a ZR-1. The NCM auctioned off a ride with Tadge Juechter(Chief Corvette Engineer) at the wheel to benefit the expansion project and I was lucky enough to win. Not only did I get a couple of laps around the factory in the yellow ZR-1, Tadge was gracious enough to autograph his cap and a ZR-1 shirt acknowledging the fact that I was the first non-GM person to ride in one. And yes, he drove it like it was engineered to be driven. Totally different car than a Z0-6, at low speeds it is smoother and quieter than my Z0-6. Made the Z0-6 seem like a brute cruising around but when really pedaled, lordy, lordy. I have already seen some disparaging comments about the look of the car and all I can say is you have to see it in the flesh(carbon fiber?) to appreciate it. Has a whole new stance and your first reaction will be, I want one! I could rattle on forever but I already feel myself drifting into another highly delusional state and I want to go savor it again before it passes. Great job, Team Corvette.
Paul

Paul that is awsome!!! I have some serious envy. Congratz on your ride in the ZR1.

That must have been you and Tadge that I followed (tried to follow) onto I-65 this weekend.

What a ride.

You need to tell the long version. Speed and why you needed a pit stop after it stopped. Then said lets go again. Awesome car.

I think my pulse and breathing rate are now normal enough to discuss getting a ride in a ZR-1. Not only did I get a couple of laps around the factory in the yellow ZR-1, Tadge was gracious enough to autograph his cap and a ZR-1 shirt.

ZR-1's have been around since 1990 (1989 really). What you got a ride in was a ZR1. There is a major difference besides the "-" but that dash is very significant and you, sir, did not ride in a ZR-1.
Get it right as us owners of ZR-1's surely know the difference ;squint:

ZR-1's have been around since 1990 (1989 really). What you got a ride in was a ZR1. There is a major difference besides the "-" but that dash is very significant and you, sir, did not ride in a ZR-1.
Your serious right:confused;LOL;LOL;LOL Who gives a rat's ass about the hyphen.:chuckle Glad the OP got a ride in a very cool car.

I do stand corrected. Fortunately, I have not yet heard from the original 1970-72 ZR-1 owners with their significant Corvettes. I'm sure they will also make a distinction between your ZR-1 and theirs as there is a definite difference there also. I had the great thrill of driving a 1989 ZR-1 from the GM Desert Proving Grounds around the Phoenix Raceway in 1989 and had a prototype 1989 ZR-1 checked out to me from the Thousand Oaks GM Zone Office for demonstration rides at a NCRS meet in Southern Cal that same year. A 1989 ZR-1 was also taken by our road trip to the national NCRS meet in Bend Oregon in August of 1989. Lots of opportunities to check out its road manners on that trip. As far as the C4 ZR-1 comparison to the C6 model in performance;none. However, hyphen or not, the ZR-1/ZR1 models represent the best of that generation. Enjoy yours.
Paul

I do stand corrected. Fortunately, I have not yet heard from the original 1970-72 ZR-1 owners with their significant Corvettes. I'm sure they will also make a distinction between your ZR-1 and theirs as there is a definite difference there also. I had the great thrill of driving a 1989 ZR-1 from the GM Desert Proving Grounds around the Phoenix Raceway in 1989 and had a prototype 1989 ZR-1 checked out to me from the Thousand Oaks GM Zone Office for demonstration rides at a NCRS meet in Southern Cal that same year. A 1989 ZR-1 was also taken by our road trip to the national NCRS meet in Bend Oregon in August of 1989. Lots of opportunities to check out its road manners on that trip. As far as the C4 ZR-1 comparison to the C6 model in performance;none. However, hyphen or not, the ZR-1/ZR1 models represent the best of that generation. Enjoy yours.
Paul

Well Said! I can't wait.

I think my pulse and breathing rate are now normal enough to discuss getting a ride in a ZR-1. The NCM auctioned off a ride with Tadge Juechter(Chief Corvette Engineer) at the wheel to benefit the expansion project and I was lucky enough to win. Not only did I get a couple of laps around the factory in the yellow ZR-1, Tadge was gracious enough to autograph his cap and a ZR-1 shirt acknowledging the fact that I was the first non-GM person to ride in one. And yes, he drove it like it was engineered to be driven. Totally different car than a Z0-6, at low speeds it is smoother and quieter than my Z0-6. Made the Z0-6 seem like a brute cruising around but when really pedaled, lordy, lordy. I have already seen some disparaging comments about the look of the car and all I can say is you have to see it in the flesh(carbon fiber?) to appreciate it. Has a whole new stance and your first reaction will be, I want one! I could rattle on forever but I already feel myself drifting into another highly delusional state and I want to go savor it again before it passes. Great job, Team Corvette.
Paul

Thanks for the report, sounds like fun, but what is a Z0-6? :D

Your serious right:confused;LOL;LOL;LOL Who gives a rat's ass about the hyphen.:chuckle Glad the OP got a ride in a very cool car.

No doubt he was --- BTW Paul T you gave a very diplomatic reply to it all and I applaud you on that.

Any one who has owned a C-4 ZR-1 will give a big "rat's ass" about the hyphen. :mad:bash

That is for sure!

Just different approaches to making the best of a generation.

The C-4 went high revs DOHC-16 FI's with 350 CID and a German tranny and built a Vette that goes 175-180 mph stock.

The new ZR1 went big on displacement and the addition of a SC to get the 600+ ponies. You get 200+ mph stock.

Many ZR-1 owners would argue that the C-4 ZR-1 was a higher engineering level and more elegant approach. But none would say that the new ZR1 is anything but spectacular. IMO

How could we really after all we are all brothers and sisters of the Corvette.:beer

Peace out and Save the Wave ---

No doubt he was --- BTW Paul T you gave a very diplomatic reply to it all and I applaud you on that.

Any one who has owned a C-4 ZR-1 will give a big "rat's ass" about the hyphen. :mad:bash

That is for sure!

-
If that is the case I think he needs a big case of lighten up Frances! It's a car. I drive a Z06 so? Do I care if people say Z zero six or Z oh six? Not at all. They are vettes which is enough for me. But some people take the car and the hobby way to seriously. JMHO. Enjoy them I'm sure the HP wars will be over again soon just like last time. Don

Wow you are one lucky guy! I wonder what the sounds was like inside!

What a great story! What a great ride! :upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

First, let me say, in reference to the lead post in this thread, that I was also at B.G. the weekend that Capt. Paul got to go with Tadge Juechter in a ZR1. While was I insanely jealous of Paul riding the ZR1, considering what he paid to win the auction, I was also thankful there are people in our hobby who support the NCM to that extent. Paul has a long history of being a patron of our hobby, originally in California, as founder of Corvette Club Santa Barbara and organizer of the SoCal Caravans and, of late, in North Carolina. We need more like him in the Corvette community.

Now, on the ZR-1 vs ZR1 and LT5 vs. Gen3/4 issue....

There is probably no one in the Corvette community better qualified to add some perspective to this thread than myself as I own a ZR-1, I covered the ZR-1 and the LT5 engine for various media starting in 1988 and I've done extensive research and reporting on the LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7 and LS9 engines.

The statement above...
Just different approaches to making the best of a generation.

...deserves the "Beacon of Reality Award".

However, the other statement above...
Many ZR-1 owners would argue that the C-4 ZR-1 was a higher engineering level and more elegant approach.

...deserves more examination.

If that's what many ZR-1 owners would argue...they'll loose, because the C4 "Z" and its LT5 engine, while it was leading-edge stuff and achieved a high engineering level in 1988; it's clearly not a "higher engineering level" today.

I'll also quarrel with use of the phrase "more elegant".

I mean, what is "elegant". Are we talking visually? If so, no question, the LT5 wins. But, if we are talking from an engineering and performance standpoint....

Not.

"Elegant" is getting better performance from an engine which weighs less and is smaller...and I'm not talking about the LS9 or even the LS7. Both of them have larger displacement than the LT5 and one is supercharged.

No...let's go back to '02 and the LS6. At 5.67-liters it had slightly less displacement than the LT5. It also weighed significantly less and was a smaller package, yet...it produced the same power as the later LT5 (405hp) but had a better torque curve. That, my friends, is truly an engine which is elegant.

Yes, the LT5 was an elegant design for its time, just as the Gen 3/4 engine family is elegant, today.

But, the LT5 "more elegant" than what GM Powertrain has available, today?

Sorry, but that's a stretch.

First, let me say, in reference to the lead post in this thread, that I was also at B.G. the weekend that Capt. Paul got to go with Tadge Juechter in a ZR1. While was I insanely jealous of Paul riding the ZR1, considering what he paid to win the auction, I was also thankful there are people in our hobby who support the NCM to that extent. Paul has a long history of being a patron of our hobby, originally in California, as founder of Corvette Club Santa Barbara and organizer of the SoCal Caravans and, of late, in North Carolina. We need more like him in the Corvette community.

Hib, you make me blush.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom