Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flashing lights (not the red kind this time)

R

redmist

I recently installed Hella Euro H4 headlights. Each light has a high and low beam. I wired them together so that all four are alternatively on high or low beam mode.
The guy who I bought them from (www.rallylights.com) said as long as I didn't go above 100 watts I could use the existing wiring in the car as long as it was in good shape (no corrosion).

My problem is the lights work fine for about 10 mins then they start to flash. This happens in either high or low beam mode.

Any ideas? Thanks.

re: flashing lights

Sounds like something is getting too warm.

My first car was a 76 Pacer :puke When driving for more than 25 minutes at night, they would flash on and off. That problem was my switch getting too warm / wearing out.
Sil

blackout

You will have to wire direct battery voltage to them through a relay controlled by the light switch. I ran landing lights in my '67 and they would only stay on for about 10 minuts. After the circuit cooled for a few minutes they would work again. A relay was the cure. Rally and off road cars with high amperage lights are wired through a relay. Evidently you have reached the maximum your circuit will handle.

Tom

Thanks Silver and Tom!
This makes a lot of sense.
I'll run power, with an inline relay (is that right Tom?) to the lights. Is there a chance if I do this that the light switch itself will be overloaded?

redmist said:
Thanks Silver and Tom!
This makes alot of sense.
I'll run power, with and inline relay (is that right Tom?) to the lights. Is there I chance if I do this that the light switch itself will be overloaded?

The light switch will be okay, because it will basically only be sending a signal to the relay. The main juice will kick through the relay and on to the lights.

Check out the sweet heavy duty relays that are used on the newer G.M. vehicles. Very nices piece. If you get one out of the bone yard, you can get the harness plug as well. That makes for a nice neat install.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom