Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flashing low fuel light

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello,

My low fuel light wasn't working properly so I replaced the transistors for new NTE159. But now the next problem...
The Willcox troubleshoot guide says when you have 12V on the A connector and ground on the C connector, nothing should happen. And indead nothing is happening the light stays out. Then when you short the B connector with C the light should come on after around 10 seconds.
My light comes on right away. I wasn't thinking much about it but now the fuel tank is about empty in every corner or acceleration/decceleration the light comes on and off again. I'm missing the 10 second delay for these events.
Could anybody tell me if a transistor is blown or maybe the capacitor isn't working correctly? Where should I look for?

Greetings Peter

Would be interesting to know!
In mine it is a little differet as my light mever comes on, even not with the senderwire shorted to ground [=min. fuellevel.]
Bulb is good. Let's see who knows more about this. Maybe Willcox will chime in?
Cor

I got this low fuel module from Kirban Performance. It is made for a Buick GN. It fits my 77 with some trimming on the light socket below the fuel gauge and had to cut off the corner of the board to clear the harness connector. I could never get my original board to work right after changing the transistors. This board has modern surface mount components on it. It works well.
1984 1985 1986 1987 Buick Grand National Turbo T T ype GNX 3.6L LOW FUEL WARNING INDICATOR UNIT
ru7hvc.jpg

Great idea if my own circuit isn't going to work. Is your also blinking when almost empty?
As I see it, was is also an option to turn the circuit around and connect the signal connector to the circuit with a wire? I mean above the fuel gauge is more room for the circuit then under it.

On the other hand I'm still hoping somebody will shim in to get the old circuit up and working again :)

Greetings Peter

flashing low fuel light

Anyone with a bad circuit board, if you want to send it to me I will either repair it for a small fee or return it the way it was.

Thx, Jim
jlbillig@verizon.net

Great to hear Jim, big help for everbody in the States! :upthumbs
As I live in Europe, do you have any idea what is wrong with mine and what I need to check? :)

Greetings Peter

Peter

You will have to have the equipment to read circuit designs and repair them

jimbil208

Well, it would be extremely helpful if you could publish the original schematic diagram.
That would be a very good start for us.
thanks,
cor

Low Fuel Warning Module for Vette

Hello,

My low fuel light wasn't working properly so I replaced the transistors for new NTE159. But now the next problem...
The Willcox troubleshoot guide says when you have 12V on the A connector and ground on the C connector, nothing should happen. And indead nothing is happening the light stays out. Then when you short the B connector with C the light should come on after around 10 seconds.
My light comes on right away. I wasn't thinking much about it but now the fuel tank is about empty in every corner or acceleration/decceleration the light comes on and off again. I'm missing the 10 second delay for these events.
Could anybody tell me if a transistor is blown or maybe the capacitor isn't working correctly? Where should I look for?

Greetings Peter
Low fuel warning modules are available right now on ebay for $30. They are brand new units with a warranty. I have one in my 79 and it works fine. They fit 77-82 Vettes. It was easy to install through the glove box opening. Just do an ebay search for corvette low fuel warning module. There were 7 available when I last checked.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom