Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flashing "SYS" on dash

1996Z15

Corvette
1969 Corvette coupe
While driving home my dash started to flash a "SYS" code. This "SYS" would flash three times and then the instant mileage would appear as normal. This happened for the entire ride home. The car drove fine and seems to be running as normal. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong. I have been told that it is most likely a problem with the Chassis Control Module, whatever that is.

Please help

It may mean an electrical problem has entered the system. You might try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery to see if that solves it. It usually means something is wrong within the system. I have had the SYS light flash when I had a sensor go bad. It is usually a warning that something is not functioning correctly. You may have to take it to your mechanic or dealership to get a complete reading.

I had the same problem on mine several weeks ago. It was just a low battery condition. What was your digital volt
indicating? If your battery is original it may be time for a new one.

Sometimes turning the engine "off" & then restarting will clear the condition temporarily. That was my experience.:Steer

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking that it might be the battery since it appears to be the original one. Any recommendations for the replacement?

The most common problem when the "SYS" light flashes is that the battery is on it's way out. I would first check both battery cables for any indication of corrison build-up. Clean everything and re-connect the cables and charge the battery. You may want to have a load test done on the battery afterward.

Is your battery the original OEM AC-Delco? Most of the aftermarket parts store battieries (Exide, Champion and such) are not good for more than a few years. My 92 still has the OEM AC-Delco battery and last summer I had it load tested 3 time about 10 minutes apart never got below 82% of capacity!

I will replace my battery with another AC-Delco when the time comes. Other good batteries are the Sears Die-Hard Gold, Interstate, or the Optima Red-Top. Make sure that the one you buy is rated for at least 10-20% more CCA's than what the OEM battery was. The case should fit the battery tray correctly so it won't get loose on you (a loose battery will get you bounced at an autocross or track day tech inspection). Stay away from the parts stores or Wally World even though you can get one for $30 or so.

A note on the Optima - it's a very good battery and uses gel rather than liquid so it won't leak. Unfortunately the battery top positive post usually interferes with the diagonal brace just below the ECM so it has to be ground down to clear. Contact there would NOT be a good thing!

Yes,mine done it also.While cranking if the voltage goes below
10 volts it throws a sys warning.A good system.You wont be left
on the street with no juice.

Mine Pops the "SYS" message on my dashboard ... has anyone experienced the car to stutter when this happens??

Mine stutters ever so often when the "SYS" error message pops up on dash.
Do you think its possible if theres not enough voltage to the car/battery something can be short changed and causing this stuttering action ??

This would be a novelty .... Also whats with my dash board it works perfectly for a while and suddenly it gets all garbeled up and quits working (Goes Blank) ...... . . . .
The digital part where it reads the MPH.

Hate to admit this but when I smack the top of the dash it comes back !!!!

Any input on this ??

Thanks Mark A.

I've replaced My Delco with a Sears. If anything goes wrong with your Battery no matter where you are there is a Sears store pretty close.
First you should determine if your battery is really bad before replacing. c4cruiser has a good idea about how to check condition of your battery, if you do not have a decent charger and load tester yourself take the car to someone you trust. Almost every store will say your battery is bad just to sell a battery. Working with electrical and electronic devices for over 20 years I've watched some technicians perform tests and wonder how they stay employed.
Last but not least you may not want to smack the top of your dash. You could jar another part loose and cause more harm than good. Back in the days when most parts were analog devices a sudden jolt would work, now with Digital systems you could fry or destroy a module. Good luck, Paul

Good news, your dash malfunction is probably a bad ground.:)
Bad news, it is a real %€<# to trouble shoot.:(
AFTER you are sure that the battery is good you might try this:
Pull the hush shield and wiggle all of the connectors around, if you are a lucky person you may find a lose wire. (I have never been this lucky)
Clean all of the connections with spray contact cleaner and try to trace the ground wires all the way back to the point at which they connect to the chassis.

This is long hard work but with some persistence you will find the culprit. :hb

When people have problems like this fixed in a shop they always get mad because the labor charges are outrageous in comparison to the cost of parts. I know of shops that replace good parts just to keep the customer happy. :eyerole

Good luck and happy holidays.
:grinsanta

Wow Will look into it ...
Thanks so much ...

Seems like a tasky ordeal but well worth looking into.

Thanks Mark A.

I just put a battery in my 84 a couple weeks ago. I put an Interstate Megatron Plus Part#MTP-75. 700CCA and it spins that car over with ease. Nationwide coverage too just like Sears.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom