Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flat Tire

Oldguard

Corvette
2001 Pewter Matalic/black convertable
I picked up a nail in my Michelin Steel belt tires. I replaced my run flats with the Michelins 3 years ago. The nail is about 1 1/2" from the side wall and the place where I purchased the tires would not fix the flat because they said it was too close to the side wall and their patch would not hold. I took the tire to another to Pepboys where they put a plug in it. This was about a week ago. I have put about 100 miles on the car since then. Everything seems to be OK and no air pressure drop.
Does anyone see any potential problems with a plugged tire? I would not like to replace this tire which only has about 2,500 miles on it.

First off, Welcome to CAC. You have joined a terrific forum.

Now, to your question. I think you'll be just fine. Back in 2009 when I bought my 2001, I put new Michilens on it. Later we were on our way to CruiseFest in Effingham IL when I picked up a nail. The first place I went to wouldn't fix it, for the same reason they gave you. I went on down the road (mine were ZP's), the second place said they wouldn't guarantee they would/could fix it. But the tech pulled it off and said "no problem". That has been 5 years and 30k + miles. I've had no problems with it at all.

I have plugged several radial tires with the location near there. You should be fine so long as it is away from the side wall as you said.

I would not use the tire in the Silver State Race, but I would assume you are not entering.

I have plugged many tires in my life and have had good service from the plugged tires for a long time afterward. Depends on who plugged the tire and if they really know how to do it correctly. I trust my own plugs.

I would not plug a tire and then run an open road race at serious speed but I would drive it home while paying attention to the tire pressure.

You should be fine. I repair several tires every day and have had great success with the plugs. Patching the tire on the inside is the preferred method, but sometimes it is just not possible due to the location of the injury. An inside patch takes more time and does require a certain level of expertise. For these reasons, many tire shops would rather sell the customer a new tire rather than risk a comeback and a dissatisfied customer. There are also some customers that just don't feel confident riding on repaired tires and would rather have the new tire installed. I repair them when I can and always feel that the repair is done properly with no safety issues.

In the past, I have repaired my own tires with plugs in THE SIDEWALL with no ill effects. I drove my Z for two years with a plug in the inside sidewall of the right rear tire and had no problems. I would not repair a tire for a customer this way, but instead of paying the price for a new Goodyear F1 Supercar it was a gamble that paid off.

Have your tire repaired by a qualified tire tech and you'll be fine. SPEED SAFELY,
DON.

In the 1970s, to use their lifts, pit and tools I had a part time job at gas station which did repairs. It paid for my "bad" habits with vehicles.

Tire plugs were new then or new in the rural area I am from. The salesman drilled holes in his tires as a demonstration how well they worked. He'd stop at a station and use their drill to drill a hole in his tire and plug it. All 4 tires were literally filled with plugs and he kept on driving it. Red, the owner, said he believes in what he sells. :D

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question. You guys have given me some peace of mind. I also have had tires plugged in the past but this is the 1st time on this car (2001 convertible) and I must admit I was a bit concerned. I'm glad I did not hear a bunch of horror stories about plugged corvette tires. Thanks again.:)

tire plugs

I picked up a nail in my Michelin Steel belt tires. I replaced my run flats with the Michelins 3 years ago. The nail is about 1 1/2" from the side wall and the place where I purchased the tires would not fix the flat because they said it was too close to the side wall and their patch would not hold. I took the tire to another to Pepboys where they put a plug in it. This was about a week ago. I have put about 100 miles on the car since then. Everything seems to be OK and no air pressure drop.
Does anyone see any potential problems with a plugged tire? I would not like to replace this tire which only has about 2,500 miles on it.
I've used plugs for years with no problems. I run my 1200 Kaw. 140 mph with 2 plugs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom